what kind of plywood do most use?

michael barnes

i was looking on the devlin site, and was checking out the required materials for the ducks boats, and obviously marine plywood was on there. i was wondering what most use? i googled marine ply and found several kinds, doug fir, okoume, something called maranti hydro tek, and was wondering what you use for a little duck boat like the broadbill or poleboat?

Meranti is what I use almost exclusively for the plywood components. Look at Mooreland company and see what they have. I bought 3 sheets of their "Ultra-Ply" underlayment for the current boat I am building.

I have been able to find good fir in both select and number 2 and better at a local lumber yard (Sturgis in Gifford, Fl.) They also have some very good #2 or better spruce in the form of 2"X 6" X 12' boards. They will let me pick out one or two without saying anything, but if I go much over that they say it is no longer #2 and better. I guess they have a point, but I won't buy what I can't see first.

Best regards,
Frank K

Oakoume is what I have used. Easy to work with and very available for me. Seems kind of expensive but well worth it.

Last edited:
Micheal,
I was in your boat a year ago. I purchased the maranti because of the limited availablilty to me here in the UP. In hind site I wish I would have saved the weight and went with the Oakoume. Marinti is stronger but heavier by 20% after all is said and done my boat is plenty strong and I wish it were 20% lighter.

Back