What size shotgun shells do you use?

I always like these threads, I'm always interested to hear what folks are using and swear by, as much a personal choice as their decoy spreads and retrievers. I also always seem to notice that the most experienced folks seem to use lighter loads. For me, I swear by Kent Fasteel #3, in either 2 3/4 or 3". I shoot a improved cylinder and most of my shots are under 25 yards on fully-decoyed birds. If the divers aren't cooperating later in the season (i.e. I'm shooting at 30 yards), I just put a modified choke in.

One thing I have done is started making my 3rd shot a #2 Black Cloud. I don't ofter fire all three shots (my follow up is not fast), but I noticed that the pattern I get shooting that out of a improved cylinder is similar to my Kent loads out of a modified, hence I get my first two shots with great patterns close in, and if I fire the third shot it's like having a tighter choke. Right now I do this because I have a lot of BC left from when I was experimenting last year, but as I use it up I'll be sticking with the Kent.

My exception is on very windy days. If I'm forced to shoot in those conditions, I stick with the Kent and switch to #1 or BB shot. Seems to do the trick, just don't aim at teal with it in close.

I use 3" and 3 1/2" #2's and #4's. I really didnt have a preference until I tried Kent shells last year. Now all I've been buying is 3" Kents .......... Cant beat the price or the perfomance.

My favorite and most productive load is 2 3/4" #7.5 hevishot. I have come to the conclusion that for jump shooting like I do an open choke and getting in close with the sculling works the best for me. The next part of the equation is speed. Getting on the birds fast. When I have them I'll usually add a heavier shell in for a third and longer shot as by the time I pull the trigger the third time the birds are further out. It is usually a 3" #6. I found that I "save" money using this hevishot, as I shoot more productively and therefore fewer times per bird bagged.
I've had success with steel, but also some of the most frustrating times of my life. I finally found what works for me and I doubt I'll change any time soon.

I shoot 12ga 3 inch shells (#2) through both of my guns (Exrema2 & Citori waterfowl), even though they are both chambered for 3.5 inch. I buy 3.5 inch once in a while and slip it into the chamber when we're throwing clays for newbies so that they can see the difference from the 2.75 inch shell; we always get a "kick" out of it :)

Two years ago, I bought boxes of steel shells from all the different manufacturers that I could find at Cabelas. I had every intention of patterning my gun, but I never got around to it that summer. Then the season started, so I just started going through the stuff, box by box. For some reason, the Hevi Metal brand seems to kill them quite well.

After reading a lot of the previous posts, I might just try out #3, and maybe even #4 for teal and/or what I expect to be close-in shooting.

Thanks for starting the thread

Anthony

I just bought some Remington Hypersonics, #2 in the 3" with 1 1/4 oz of shot. They are 1700fps. Im hopeing that the extra velocity makes up for the light weight and non existant flattening from impact that steel has. I havnt been real happy with steel at all, ever, but i cant afford to shoot some of the heavier loads. Life sure gets in the way doesnt it....

Has anyone else shot these shells? Pros? Cons?

I have been shooting Federals and the remington sportsman shells and have had some pretty poor patterns using them. I went with the #2's because i bought some old heter's goose decoys last week and i'm hoping that in decoy range these will make a good all round shell.

Any thoughts??

Last year late in the season Dick's had the Winchester Xpert shells on sale. They were the 3 packs and if my memory serves me correctly they were $29.99. At the same time Winchester had a mail in rebate for $5 a box of shells. By the time I found out about the sale all they had were 3.5" #2 shells. I figured what the hell I may as well get some on sale and when is the last time you saw a box of steel for $5. I walked out with 3 of the 3 packs, paid $90 out the door and sent in my rebates.

I will only use the 3.5" in either a field layout or water layout. I let all three shells go once standing up in the boat and wound up on my butt. Other than that I'll use 2.75" hiding in the cat tails or 3" the boat, depending on the species.

I think there is an assumption here that faster and more shot is better, but nobody is talking about patterns. Nice, even patterns are what really matters and I think ballisticaly, shoving a bigger payload at a higher rate of speed down the same size hole is a recipe for lousy patterns(and sore shoulders).

Matt

I ask for 2 things for my birthday and Christmas every year, 3 1/2" Hevi Shot and Pro V1 golf balls. I usually get a few boxes of each from my in-laws and other family members and I can use these guilt-free. When I miss a duck or a green it usually isn't because of bad ammo.

- Mark

Good thread, Brian. I have enjoyed reading what everyone has to say and why. Funny how over the course of the years, I have experimented with all the latest and the best ( that is if you want to believe in all the hype within good advertising).
Now I find myself checking out Roger's Sporting Goods, running down through all of their different brands of shells, and for me, have opted on Federal Steel Dove loads. 2 3/4" shells with #7 shot. Very seldom do I use 3" or 3 1/2" shells. For me that would be only if a flock of snows was hugging the terrain because of the horrible windy conditions. Within the confines of duck hunting there is something to be said about waiting until you can see those orange feet stretched out in front of them just prior to landing in your decoys. If they aren't doing that I prefer to wait until they do.

I really liked what Mike Trudel had to say: "[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]A friend, shooting a Browning BSS that was chambered for 2 3/4" only, was making kills every bit as far as my 3" gun. Now I only shoot 2 3/4" and have not lost any range or increased my cripple rate.

With the money you save on 2 3'4" shells, you can buy the better quality sardines!"
[/font]
moz-screenshot-16.png
moz-screenshot-17.png
moz-screenshot-18.png

This thread/conversation exemplifies the reason why I'm a member of this site. I own an aluminum boat and shoot 3.5" shells and nobody is insulting my choices. This thread/conversation has the potential to lead to arguments because of the strong differences however the high caliber people on here who really love the sport.

Thank you. I will look into patterning my shells and see where my 870 is shooting.

Thank you for starting this thread.

I have shot 3.5 shells. I do beleave they give you a small edge. The recoil is a lot harder. They add speed if you pick the right combo. I think the 10 patterns better witha 3.5, than the 12 because of the bigger bore. You just have a longer shot string with the 12. If the gun knocks you down you arent shooting the right way. Your shooting form must be awful.
I dont shoot 3.5 shells very often but once you buy some you have to get rid of them some way. I have been working away at them mixing them in with the 3" shells.
You are obsessed because you are here. Deer hunting doesnt have the same appeal as it did in past years.
John

MY GOD BRAD! How can you sleep at night you &(%(^(%$*$%))&!!!! 3 1/2" shells.... out of an auto loader no doubt I bet!!!!! Aluminum boat!!!! the shame!!!!! ;-) :) hehe

Thanks for all the replies guys. But with so many opinions it sounds like i can grab blindly at the shelves when i buy shells and still come home with birds. I never gave patterning much of a thought but i guess it's something i should consider. Right now i'm shooting 3" Winchester Xpert #2's (because they were on sale) and I'm guessing they pattern ok since they helped me bag my limit of mallards this morning. I'm hearing alot of good things about Kent ammo so I think I'll try them next if they're priced low. Me and my dad are on the last box of our second case of shells this year. Thats a first! After this weekend Iknow it'll be time to pick up another case. So I'm proud to say this is the most expensive duck season I've ever had; so thanks for all your input on what to shoot. I'm almost thinkin about picking up a mix of different shells but it kind of sounds like if they're in range and you miss, it's not the ammos fault. Guess I can't use that excuse anymore, but thats ok because the sun's always in my eyes (atleast when i miss)
Good luck out there guys,
Brian

Brian.... I am sure I will come across as a dick.. but your conclusion is 100% wrong. I will go so far as to say that you haven't learned anything from this post!!! PATTERN your gun!!!!! with each and every shell brand you buy... I have dropped plenty of birds with Estates... but there are holes in the pattern out of my Benelli large enough for a Canvasback to fly through... Which explains all the cripples I had with those shells....

Find a shell that patterns well out of your gun... and stick with it.. at least that will take 1 variable out of the equation....

PMC and Wolf are the WORST shells in the world... folllowed by Estate and Winchester Experts... at least out of my smokepole...

I haven't been able to let one of these threads go since I logged on to this place so here goes again.

Winchester Expert, 2 3/4" #7's steel shot out of a 30" barrel custom choked to .002 tighter than skeet for everything from doves to giant Canadas.

The analogy I use is how far do you shoot at doves with what choke and what size shot?

Now, how big is the vital area of a dove? How big is a mallards head compared to the vital area of a dove? How big is a Canada goose head compared to the vital area of a dove? How large a shot do you shoot at turkeys and at what range?

Bottom line know your gun and how it shoots and, just as important if not more so know your limitations!! If you don't practice taking 40yd crossing shots don't take them. Shoot them in the head, don't look at the body of a bird, look at the beak, bill what ever. If you hit that the rest will fall. If you look at the body and miss just 3" back and you've now got a sailing cripple. Look at the bill and miss 3" back and they're belly up in the decoys.

Below is the best sequence of pics I have of what #7's do to a Canada goose. A good friend was behind the camera this bird was shot at about 20-25yds.

7sgoose1.jpg

7sgoose2.jpg

7sgoose3.jpg

My 2 cents...lol...I have a Mossberg 535...I've missed with 2 3/4, 3 and 3 1/2, steel...that is, until I burnished my barrel....I made it mirror...what a difference, (I've tried soo many different chokes)....I wish I had taken the time to document my gun pattern before and after...After burnishing I was 2 for 4 on teal...and 4 of 4 of Canadas...now the next season opens on the 20th..I could miss all over again! Dont get me wrong, I knew the pattern for lead, but steel was funky....

Remington 3" 1 1/4 #2

Back