what would you get for a duck coat?

Todd Duncan Tennyson

I have a Rivers West jacket. It is the Guide series and it has been a good duck hunting coat. I got it back in about 2002 and it is getting pretty tired out.

I need a duck coat that is meant for wading (so it needs to be fairly short to just cover the tops of my chest waders.)

I liked the rivers west coat, because it was good for where I hunt. I hunt where it rarely is below 25* and it usually rains buckets. I also liked the wetsuit style cuffs for the wrists.

I didn't like the fact that the hood on the rivers west coat was not a permanent component of the costume, so I had to stitch it on with dental floss.

What do you folks think might be a good coat?

I went to the major sporting goods retailer in my town, but all they had was deer hunting stuff.

I just got the Drake Waterfowl 4 in 1 parka. they make it in a wader leanth so it will be a shorter one you like. It has the neoprene cuffs you like. It has a zip in liner so you can choose to wear it or not depending on the temp. It has plenty of pockets and spring open shell pockets but you can take out the spring part if you choose. Seems to be a good duck coat. I haven't used it yet but drake seems to have a good name behind it. good luck

Chris,
I hate to bad mouth your new purchase but I replaced my Drake 4 in 1 after a few years of use. The reason I finally dumped it is because it simply was not waterproof. The outer shell is supposed to be waterproof but I was constantly getting wet wearing it. I sit with me forearm against my legs often resting that way and water would work its way through from my waders into my arms. In the rain it was always wet. I hope they have improved them since I got mine and you find it to be of better quality then mine.

I replaced it with a Cabela's 4 in 1 wader jacket. My wife and two kids had them for a few years and they served us well so I picked up one for myself on sale last year for 100.00. Only problem is it to warm to wear until the late season. My son just wore his here today in a good rain and was dry as could be when we were done. I wore my raincoat as it was 55 degrees.

As to the original post. I cant recommend any specific brand. I think my current coat might be to warm and bulky for your conditions. Maybe look at one of the breathable shells on the market and layer under it as needed.

I hope they changed it too. Otherwise I will be getting wet. I have my coat from last year if it sucks. It got good reviews on cabelas thats why i picked it up. Thanks for the input.

There's quite a bit of variability in breathable waterproof fabrics. Some of them are very good a shedding rain, but are permeable to standing water or when leaning against something wet. Others are great at keeping water out but know so good at releasing perspiration.

If you're more concerned about keeping water out than releasing sweat (e.g. if you do a lot of sitting in very cold weather) you might want to go with heavy waterproof fabric. If you are in a warmer climate and move around quite a bit and are more concerned about releasing internal moisture, the Drake coat might be ideal.

Generally, Gore-tex is the best combination of breathable and waterproof, but it's pricey. I've found Columbia products to be a pretty good compromise between price and performance.

Rick

+1 on the Cabela's 4 in 1. I have the wading length and it works well. I usually wear the liner under my waders and then put the top coat on over that if I need it. I also agree that the liner is fairly heavy for early season. When you get to the point where a long sleeve and sweatshirt is pushing it, it's time for the liner.

I found Cabela's Dry-plus doesn't hold up to being water-proof for long. Gortex holds up much better, but cost much more as well.

I like the Columbia stuff. Lifetime warrenty and warm. Having said that I have never found a waterfowling jacket that was waterproof for very long. I hunted a sandbar with a buddy one day. It was raining hard so I knew to pack some extra jackets. I had 4 extra "waterproof" namebrand jackets in my dry bag besides the one I was wearing. I went through every jacket that morning. My buddy had on a camo PVC jacket and was dry as a bone. From that day on I have used a PVC jacket when it's raining. Waxed canvas would be a good choice as well. Never had a waxed canvas jacket with a hood on it but have sat in the rain wearing waxed canvas pants and never got my legs wet.

Todd,

You might want to consider going with a Filson. I love mine. Waxed cotton is very wind resistant and about as close to waterproof as I personally have found and you can re-treat them yourself any time you feel it's needed. They are a bit stiff when they are new but that get better with wear.

Jeff

Rarely below 25 where you hunt - I would get the Drake wadertech jacket. I love mine and it hunts down to 25 easily when worn with some nice long underwear, a turtleneck and a chamois shirt. That may be a little warm.

I too second the Columbia. I am on my second jacket and have used the lifetime warranty. My old 4 in 1 started leaking around the seams. I was going to buy a new one and the sales clerk reminded me that Columbia has a lieftime warranty. I called them up, sent them the jacket as requested, and a week later I got a call asking what I would like for my replacement.

The Cloumbia has all you seek. I think the inner jacket as knit cuffs but for the life of me, I can't recall right now.

Mark W

+1 on the Cabela's 4 in 1. I have the wading length and it works well. I usually wear the liner under my waders and then put the top coat on over that if I need it. I also agree that the liner is fairly heavy for early season. When you get to the point where a long sleeve and sweatshirt is pushing it, it's time for the liner.

+2 on teh Cabelas 4 in 1. I had a Columbia and got soaked a few times so I sent it back and got teh Cabelas - warm and dry.

Try Filson- lasts forever and it resells good on ebay if your want to try different items. I buy all my filson stuff off ebay it's cheaper.

Last edited:
I bought a no-name hunting jacket that has the wadded up hood in the collar and is a wader jacket. I treated it one year with a water repellant and it smelled like kerosene for the entire season, but it kept me dry. I have never stopped wearing it. It is roomy, warm, has plenty of storage and fits inside my chest waders just fine. The camo pattern is dated.......but the funny thing is everybody thinks I just bought the "brand new" Drake Old School camo coat. I guess I was "Old School" when "Old School wasn't cool. It handles the wind and rain very well, but if its a torrential downpor, it needs some help. I have a fleece lined camo rain jacket with a hood that I put over the top and I am dry as a bone. Best thing I have ever put in my dry bag. Great for sitting on when your buddy is not in waders and the boat is wet.

dc

My old Ten X 4/1 parka which is 20 plus years old finally wore out. While studying numerous outdoor catalogs I noticed most of the advanced clothing is for bow hunters. They got rid of 4/1 coat systems some time back. I finally settled on Rivers West, but since they did not make my size, I had my brother try one 3 years ago.

It is a good quality coat and since I have lost some weight, I bought one. Layering is the only weigh to go, and good wool, and especially merino wool, is still the best undergarment, especially in damp conditions, so the whole 4/1 jacket with the liner coat, in my opinion is only making me buy an extra coat when all I want is the shell.

Just my 2 cents.

I have a Rivers West jacket. It is the Guide series and it has been a good duck hunting coat. I got it back in about 2002 and it is getting pretty tired out.

I need a duck coat that is meant for wading (so it needs to be fairly short to just cover the tops of my chest waders.)

I liked the rivers west coat, because it was good for where I hunt. I hunt where it rarely is below 25* and it usually rains buckets. I also liked the wetsuit style cuffs for the wrists.

I didn't like the fact that the hood on the rivers west coat was not a permanent component of the costume, so I had to stitch it on with dental floss.

What do you folks think might be a good coat?

I went to the major sporting goods retailer in my town, but all they had was deer hunting stuff.

For bad weather I gave up on all the toy duck hunting parkas long ago. Gortex and the like don't last if used as many of us do. I switched to PVC coated material like commercial fishermen use and I'm much happier. Throw a waterPROOF pvc shell over one of the million liners that you probably have already - if boating put it over your float coat.

Last year I was in the same boat.... my Columbia Quad Parka was some 20 years old and had shrunk too much to be comfortable. My deer hunting jacket camo was too dark, and was difficult to get on and off when wearing a fleece under it as the sleaves were alos fleece.... not an issue in the deer stand, but while duck hunting I am constantly taking my jacket off it seems.

Last year I jumped on the ONYX float coat sale.... for $75 shipped at the time, I figured what the heck... while it is a little bulky to shoot, it is warm, has the neoprene inner cuff, a built in waist strap/buckle, and will float me! I can wear my layers under my waders, and this on top. I still keep a life jacket laying out in the sneakbox, so if I have taken off the float coat and need to chase a cripple or pick up the birds, I am prepared. I am very careful with the lifejacket, I don't swim very well, so at least the float coat and lifejacket will let them find my body if something goes really bad!

Just something to consider.

Dave

http://www.cabelas.com/mens-waterfowl-cold-weather-clothing-kobuk-neoprene-fowler-jacket.shtml

Last edited:
Back