What's on the bench -

RLLigman said:
I would suggest you carve at least six birds of the same species together. That way, you can continue to build muscle memory regarding what to do to impart realism to the decoy, which is mainly achieved by how accurately you carve the head to match the characteristics of a species. Reference some of Bob Furia's posts on this site. He posts a number of photos of decoys in production, particularly heads. Note that you can easily recognize the species, without identification and without paint applied. Basically, what you want to strive for over time...sequentially each bird you make will be an improvement on the last one.
Good luck!

Good point. I've skipped around between three or four different birds. I imagine that would help develop skills. Do you/any others reading prefer cork or wood? I'm partially through my first wooden bird. I'm using tupelo but have read of others using yellow cedar maybe? I live in North Alabama so I'm trying to find a good supplier near here. Thanks

There are some good head and body layout tutorials on The Duck Blind's website to aid carvers in gaining consistency.

I use basswood from a mill in Wisconsin and tan cork from The Duck Blind for new decoys. Tupelo is excellent carving wood, but harder to obtain up here. Eric Patterson would be a good wood access source since he lives near you and works with the medium routinely...great wood shop layout.

IF you go with wood bodies, hollow and seal them for better longevity and lighter weight. I can carve cedar, my wife can't be anywhere around its dust...as an asthmatic, her comfort is more important than my wood use utility.

Back