What's on your WORK BENCH - SEPTEMBER 2020

SJ Fairbank said:
Nice job on that camo Kyle. You painting the deck too?

Thanks Stuart. Probably not currently.

Next on the list for spare time over the next couple of weeks is a dog ladder and blind for the boat. I also on Saturday need to start building the big blind in the shoreline with my neighbors. Not currently worried about the boat blind as much as we'll be paddling and shooting the first week or so.

Chris, nice body on the baldy--Drop me an e mail
gwdecoys @Verizon.net
I will be happy to send you some color info based upon things I have in the freezer. Let me know if you want any other paint schematics, also.
G

Huntindave McCann said:
I'll start off the month with a bit of decoy repair.

These Herters foam geese have served me well over the years but the heads do have a weak point. Right where the eye bolts threads into the bottom of the neck, it creates a stress point and eventually they all break right there.

I cleaned and squared up the bottom. Then cut a disc of plywood, installed a thread "tee" nut, and epoxied it to the bottom of the neck. A couple more coats of epoxy to seal the wood and they will be ready for paint. Actually I plan to paint and flock these. Will be my first go around with any flocking.
I have used well nuts to repair those heads in the past and all herters heads that break at the weak point... Its worked well for me, but I like what you did there too.
View attachment IMG_9388.JPGView attachment IMG_5937.JPG

Last edited:
Levi (Short for Leviathan) was the brainchild of John Bourbon, John made Levi in 2007 and measures 30" from the tip of tail to bill. John gave me Levi as a gift because as John put it "that thing aint gonna fit in my boat". To say that Levi has delivered over the years would be a huge understatement. But 12 seasons has taken their toll on the big boy. So when John stopped to visit me in Kansas on his way back from visiting his son in NM, I put him to work on a repair and repair. Levi is now ready for another decade.
View attachment IMG_5062.JPG

george w said:
Hey, Bomber, that whistler of Bourbon's is getting close to yours![;)][w00t]

AND Bourbon offers lifetime repainting.... My 6 Jumbo Bomber Goldeneyes could use a little love too...Tim?[whistle][w00t]

This little project cut in line and ended up on my workbench after only being in the shop a few hours. I was doing my weekly internet estate sale perusal and out of the corner of a picture I noticed an old arbor press. I couldn't make the first day of the sale but showed up the second and it looked like nobody even paid it any attention. $75 later it was in my truck along with some really nice vintage two jaw pullers and a box packed full of good old US taps and dies.

What really caught my eye about the press was the vintage cast iron base that you rarely see. Most are bench mounted or sit on a shop made base. Oddly enough when I got home I noticed the stand wasn't by Atlas but went together perfectly with the press. Turns our the stand, by KR Wilson, was made for a similar arbor press of the same size and vintage so the two play together nicely.

The clean-up was pretty straight forward and I'm waiting on a replacement part to do the final assembly but the below will give you an idea of the project.

View attachment VMDI6855.jpg

View attachment KQWM8521.jpg

View attachment MVRY7407.jpg

View attachment IMG_3253.jpg

View attachment IMG_3252.jpg

View attachment IMG_3255.jpg

I would say drop them off in your travels or pack them up and ship. Give me a call when you can

Going to get this one in under the wire for September. My third go at oils as a life long user of acrylics. Last year I completed two black ducks with winsor newton water soluble oils. Worked well, but I needed to add some gamblin to shorten the drying time. This year I tried using alkyd oils. It seemed to go alright, but as with last year's I didn't have the correct colors for the wing patch so this one's paint scheme is a bit simpler. Hollow cedar, poured lead to self right and will be added to my hunting rig.View attachment IMG_8944 (00000002).JPG

Back