What's on your Workbench - DECEMBER 2023

Steve Sanford

Good morning, All~

Lots of different projects on the bench in recent weeks. This one was spurred by an impending visit from my daughter - who is struggling with serious hip/leg pain.

Pencil Brook Ramp.JPG

This is an E Allen bird - but not the Keith Mueller style that is more common. I'm pretty sure the master was carved by Fred Muhs. Fred was a World Class carver from eastern Long Island - who died many years ago. He was best known for his spectacular Red-breasted Mergansers - but his Black Ducks were as fine as any. This one came to me in 3 parts - and as a Drake Mallard.

E Allen - Black Duck - Fred Muhs - Zamp.JPG

I have this batch of broken-billed Al McCormick decoys from another friend. I hope to get most restored in time for the LI Decoy Collectors Show in early March. As durable as Al's decoys were/are, he made the common error of laying out the heads without consideration of bill strength and the grain of the Redcedar he used. For most patterns, the bill is tipped downward. When the grain runs parallel to the base of the head it will almost always run at an angle through the bill. Breakages ensue - and can be challenging to repair.

Castelli - Bill Repairs - 9 decoys - 1 November 2023.JPG

This Broadie-Beak came with its "lost" bill - and needed only a bit of thickened epoxy and careful clamping. The decoy had never been finished, so I shaped, sanded, sealed and primed. I need to ask the owner whether he wants the standard painted eyes - or a glass upgrade - or none at all.

McCormick-Castelli Broadbill Drake - repaired bill and final shaping..JPG

This dozen LL Bean puddlers have been fully restored and will be shipped South later today. They include 11 Coastals and one Deluxe Oversize.

Towles Beans - sealed etc CROPPED.JPG

Three are Blacks. I regret adding the edging along the top of the side pockets - which I typically do not add on gunners. of this species.

LL Bean Black Duck Trio - Towles.JPG

Three are Mallards.

LL Beans Mallard Trio - Towles.JPG

I will always enjoy painting the face of a Hen Mallard. I'm glad, though, she's a one-off - and not one of many....

LL Bean Mallard Hen - Tucked Head CLOSEUP - Towles.JPG

This lone Deluxe Oversize Pintail belongs to the customer's friend. I wish I could have removed the head and re-mounted it with it tipped just a bit lower. I usually remove heads when I can - but discretion in this case told me I would do more harm than good. I did reinforce it, though, to remove a slight wiggle. (Sorry for the blurry photo. The auto-focus on my older Canon is giving me trouble....)

LL Bean Pintail Drake - DeLuxe Oversize - Towles.JPG

I really like these quintuplets. The two Hens had come to me as Mallards - but their delicate shapes spoke "Pintail" to my eye. The customer concurred and gave consent for the conversion.

Ll Bean Pintail Five - Towles CLOSEUP.JPG

All of these Beans were sealed with spar varnish, primed with flat oils, then top-coated with Behr latex. The bottoms are Parkers Marsh Grass (duckboat paint) and the new fasteners are all s/s.

All the best,

SJS

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing artwork as always!

How's the hunting on the farm this year? Are you frozen up yet?

Steve, nice paint job on the black duck. That is a muhs bird. I have six in my duck boat rig, with a few of the red breasted mergansers by e allem. Fred was a good friend and a great teacher. Fred was also color blind in shades of black, umber [ black duck ]. I have a few cork black duck from his 1970's rig.

Good morning, Rich~

Great to hear! I never got to know Fred really swell - but I always chatted with him at the shows and spent one morning with him in his shop.

BTW: I have 2 of his E Allen Mallard/Black high-heads. I coated them with epoxy + fine sawdust, then primed and base-coated - them changed my plan. Let me know if you have a use for them and I'll bring them in March.

All the best,

SJS

Very cool, Steve.
Those Pintails are awesome.

See if I can remember how to post photos on here.
I haven't been doing much lately, or even hunting much. Lately I have gotten into the mood to create again.

I made this Pike head carving as a gift for an elderly neighbor who is having a rough time. He recently asked me if I still painted fish. He was happy with what I made for him, made my day.

20231201_153451.jpg

Last year I had showed a shave horse and spoon mule I had built. I recently finished these cooking utensils out of elm.

20231201_174807.jpg

This afternoon I finished (unless I decide to do more on it tomorrow) this portrait of my neighbor's Coonhound who passed away a few years ago. He was well known by everyone in the area. He would pass through the backyard, look at my dog Deuce and continue home like he had an important appointment. He was a large gentle and noble beast...he was also as dumb as any dog I've even been around. Might have been from getting hit by a car, trying to eat a chainsaw or maybe it was legendary turtle hunts in the creek. Never the less he was a good dog. Clyde in acrylics

20231209_192015.jpg

Tim

Man, you have got to come around more. You did a fine job on the pike head and I'm sure it will bring happiness to the man you made it for. Also the noble dumb dog comment cracked me up. Great stuff.

Eric

Eric Patterson said:
Tim

Man, you have got to come around more. You did a fine job on the pike head and I'm sure it will bring happiness to the man you made it for. Also the noble dumb dog comment cracked me up. Great stuff.

Eric

Thank you Eric. I try to check in every once in a while just to make sure people know I'm still alive. [;)]

Hopefully I can be more active in the future.

Tim

Tim~

Good to hear from you once again - and to see your fine work. That pike is spectacular, but....just let me know if you want to borrow my circle template so you can get that pupil nice and round.....

Happy Holidays!

SJS

Thank you Steve. If that pupil bothers you wait until you see some of my trout. Diamond shaped circles I tell you. [whistle]

That's a great pike head Tim. But I love the coon hound portrait! You did a great job with it.

I made this Pike head carving as a gift for an elderly neighbor who is having a rough time. He recently asked me if I still painted fish. He was happy with what I made for him, made my day.
It's not every day one can give their neighbor a fish head,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and get a thankyou in return. 🤣

Dave,
I purchases a spoon carving kit last year and it did indeed come with a bandaid. I used it right away.

Last edited:
Back