where's the ducks !

I am sure most of us are in the same boat as far as lack of birds, I'm hunting the St.Lawrence river in NY and have never seen so few or no birds. Hunting near lake Ontario I see maybe 50 ducks and down river near Alex Bay most days I see 20 or less ducks, saw 6 today. They have to be some place, any one know where ?

Its 50 degrees Manitoba right now. I suspect that's where most of them still are. I did find a huntable number of birds yesterday in one spot but we are by no means covered in birds yet.

Freezing temps later this week and next week in Manitoba as well as where I am in the U.P. of Michigan so those south of me should start seeing birds.

hunted the upper Finger Lakes Saturday- very few ducks in the marsh- and those that were flying were very high

we each managed a black out of the three that actually decoyed to us, a couple nearby blinds did a little better - but over all- slow

picture.php

Not sure where they are, but they darn sure aren't in Coastal Alabama either.
Opening day is 1 week away and its slim pickins, a few gadwalls and a lot of coots. Years past we would be covered up by mid-November.
But everything things 2-3 weeks later for the last 6-7 years. The inshore fall fishing pattern is off by the same 2-3 weeks.

Glenn, scout Bayfield, particularly over any of the assorted gigantic piles of wheat on the bottom. You're likely to find 10,000 or so bluebills there.

Sincerely,

Mike

Our mallard #s are increasing, more blacks than earlier, still seeing teal too. a few buffies and hoodies are around. I have never seen so many geese in my life, so many on Sunday flew over us in range but the season was not open.

I have never seen so many geese in my life, so many on Sunday flew over us in range but the season was not open.

That seems to be a recurring issue every year. I have come to the conclusion that both ducks and geese have become literate. They now have the ability to read signs, especially signs such as; "refuge", or "this area closed to Canada goose hunting", or "shooting hours such and such", or "city limits".
I need a sigh which says; " your safe here, area patrolled by a half blind old fart who can't hit the broadside of a barn on a good day". Maybe I might at least get a few lookers that way. :>) :>)

My house is 1/4 mile from the Upper Mississippi National Wildlife Refuge, where sections are open to hunting.

One evening the geese were heading into the refuge with about 1/2 left of shooting time. The first flock went over, got shot at.

The next flock swung into the pond behind my house, waited a half hour, then went to the Refuge.

I believe they all got Apple Watches as early x-mss gifts this year :)

It has been a pretty decent season so far. I'm looking for Cody to chase some ducks this way from the Great Salt Lake Basin area.
Al

a friend of mine has a lease on wolf , whacking the hell out of the bills and redheads, and I have seen the barge with the dump truck on it in bayfield, they control the migration up here.

Not really complaining here-only reporting. East of Albany, New York, seeing low numbers. Plenty of geese, but not much weather to move them. Of the 20 odd days of the duck season, we have had hard hunting with lots of time put in--marginal results but good times--and with one great day.

Hoping the birds show before our ponds and marshes freeze.

They're on Lake Champlain. Three man limit today. Eight different species including one amazing drake wigeon headed for the wall. The last few times I've been out we went on sunny days with a south wind and hit it big.

Saw a ton of them on lake st. clair--Redheads, cans, scaup in large numbers--Weather was still too nice to get them off rafts, though.
Would not shoot buffies or ruddies--guess i am getting jaded.
For those of you on the central flyway, it is a good likelihood that the divers are STILL in northern ontario.
Apparently there is a refuge along st clair, and it is heavily baited--Seems that activity causes ducks to become too dependent. Hmm. is baiting run by liberals, too?

Last edited:
Found some redheads. Vintage decoys floated are by Jack Reeves and Miles Pirnie...

Also, seeing good amounts of puddle ducks on the Illinois River. The green wing teal have been exceptional. Divers are starting to show up. Saw good amounts of buffies today and killed scaup...

That's a nice batch of ducks there Pat ! Glad to here you're seeing puddle ducks on the river. Our central zone season opens Saturday here in Indiana...

We are pretty well done here with all the water turned to ice and snow. The skiing is pretty good right now. Still lots of geese in the fields though.

Back