WhiteCap14 test

Michael, I have a question and a comment for you. The video shows that the boat tows well and can accomodate a big guy but are you sure you have enough flotation to float a 300 lb guy, gear, a motor if installed, and the weight of water if swamped? I know first hand the Coast Guard does not want you to say Coast Guard approved. When they test a boat in Maryland they only certify that boat and model on that day. What builders do after that they can't guarantee. Builders are forced to certify or approve the boats by putting a Manufacturers Certification Label on the boats guaranteeing that they meet all CG regs. When do you plan to send a boat to Maryland for testing?

Brandon,

The first time I saw this some years back I wondered if David flipped an Estuary and cut a hole in the bottom of the boat. Interesting concept two boats in one.

Pauly,
we are in the process of getting our USCG MIC #. sent the forms out today. the boat when it passes. USCG SPECS. the boat will be built to the same specs. and will come with USCG weight and capacity placard. the boat is a towing floating blind and is not designed or set up for an engine. nor do i recommend to any one to install one. if the person install one the boat it is then altered form original manufacture form and USCG specs and at that time all the responsibility is on the preset party.

mike

Pauly,
we are in the process of getting our USCG MIC #. sent the forms out today. the boat when it passes. USCG SPECS. the boat will be built to the same specs. and will come with USCG weight and capacity placard. the boat is a towing floating blind and is not designed or set up for an engine. nor do i recommend to any one to install one. if the person install one the boat it is then altered form original manufacture form and USCG specs and at that time all the responsibility is on the preset party.

mike

Don't be so certain those comments are correct. If there is some use that you can foresee someone using the boat other than intended, and you did not make a concerted effort to minimize that use, you can be liable.

I'll give you an example. A lawnmover mfg'er con forsee that the outlet for the grass clippings will get clogged. They put a warnging sticker next to the discharge and nothing more. Someone is mowing the lawn and the discharge chhute gets clogged. Person puts their hand in the discharge tube to unclog it and their hand is cut off. You may think the lawnmower mfg'er is not liable cause the warned about the hazard with a sticker right? Not true, they could have prevented that by having the lawnmower shut off when one's hands are removed from the ahndle - thus the reason all lawnmowers now have this safety feature.

Not saying it is right - just saying this is the way it is.

Mark W

HI Mark,
You're right about the manufacturer's liabilities...get's to be over the top in my estimation.

Just about every year I have the coast guard factory inspector into my shop. Nice guy and very helpful. The interesting thing was that on a layout boat, I can take it in and have it "inspected" but there is NO "boat certification" for a layout boat. The consider it merely a floating dock and that's it. He also said that I can put my manufacturer's plate but nothing that mentions the coasts guard or meeting coast guard standards since there truly are none for a floating dock. ;) Interesting time and info.
Lou

Lou, are you saying Layout boats don't need Coast guard capacity labels? I know I've seen them on them.

Lou, are you saying Layout boats don't need Coast guard capacity labels? I know I've seen them on them.

Correct. You can put a recommended capacity label with your manufacturers name on it but NOT the Coast Guard name. That's what I'm told by the Coast Guard factory visitation guy.
Lou

I just measured my size 14 work boot and it's a little over 13" so my wader boots will be about the same if not a little more. That is definitely the most foot room of any layout I've heard of or seen. I will be getting in touch with you before next season about a boat. Keep up the good work.

HI Mark,
You're right about the manufacturer's liabilities...get's to be over the top in my estimation.

Just about every year I have the coast guard factory inspector into my shop. Nice guy and very helpful. The interesting thing was that on a layout boat, I can take it in and have it "inspected" but there is NO "boat certification" for a layout boat. The consider it merely a floating dock and that's it. He also said that I can put my manufacturer's plate but nothing that mentions the coasts guard or meeting coast guard standards since there truly are none for a floating dock. ;) Interesting time and info.
Lou
Lou you are absolutely correct until someone grabs a paddle and paddles the boat. then it becomes a watercraft and it is required. We see this same gentlemane annually and have some great conversations regarding this exact thing and fact is as long as its just a floating object then no certification etc is required. However Start paddling it, pushpoling it or adding a motor or what ever guys do once they buy them and then they are a watercraft and must have it. And if not and its found due to a accident or such not having the proper labels and not meeting USCG regulations Watch out. A lawsuit you cannot win is about to become reality.

He told me of a story of another boat company who claimed there product (boats) were exempt as well and the gentleman proceeded to get his laptop out and pull up the website of the manufacturer and show him a photo of a guy paddling the said boat and the description that stated it could be paddled. OOPS.

For me Its worth every extra penny to certify our boats and put a label in them if for no other reason that insures me that the coast guard will back me in court if I ever need them and my boat meets the requirements. As im sure everyone knows with every boating incodent that is of important and a boat is considered to be potentially at fault it is shipped directly to the USCG facility for proper testing before anything else is done.\

In todays world there is no such thing as being to safe and prepared with watercraft be it a boat or a floating dock. If they are properly certified and tested and carry the label then your protected much better than without. And since its all free anyone would be a fool not to do it if they own anything or have a business.

Canoes and Kayaks and sailboats are exempt from the label. However layout boats have not been made exempt as far as I am aware. And until such date they are listed in Black and white as exempt you will never find any of our boats without them or being properly certified as it clearly leaves a loophole for a laywer to use against the builder.

Last edited:
Hi Tony,
I understand what you're saying but it's not a boat (according to the CG guy) unless it can accept a motor. Just paddling it does not make it a boat, needing a plate .... or canoes would not be exempt either.
The CG certifies that the boat meets standards but that is not a CERTIFICATION backed by the Coast Guard and ... I guarantee...they will not come to a manufacturer's rescue if somebody screws up with the boat...regardless of how stupid they are or what the "cert plate" says. ;)

I DO recommend the testing (even better since it's free) and we install capacity plates on everything we manufacture but the CG doesn't want their "certification" stamp on layout boats. That's according to the CG guy from California who stops here...probably the same fella you see....and I'm merely repeating what I was told by him.
Lou

Hi Tony,
I understand what you're saying but it's not a boat (according to the CG guy) unless it can accept a motor. Just paddling it does not make it a boat, needing a plate .... or canoes would not be exempt either.
The CG certifies that the boat meets standards but that is not a CERTIFICATION backed by the Coast Guard and ... I guarantee...they will not come to a manufacturer's rescue if somebody screws up with the boat...regardless of how stupid they are or what the "cert plate" says. ;)

I DO recommend the testing (even better since it's free) and we install capacity plates on everything we manufacture but the CG doesn't want their "certification" stamp on layout boats. That's according to the CG guy from California who stops here...probably the same fella you see....and I'm merely repeating what I was told by him.
Lou

Totally agree, What I was told that since motor brackets are now made for just about anything that floats to be very very carefull because the second one is attached it is now a boat. And we all know guys will do crazy things to boats.

There is a guideline in the huge manual that describes this matter in detail on how to distinguish canoes and kayaks from boats etc but again nothing that defines a layout boat. LOL

I don't mean there going to come rescue us if something happens but they will test the boat and if it meets the requirements those results will be provided to that police, lawyers etc and it will look pretty darn good in court when we the manufacturers have provide a safe craft that passed according to the USCG standards that were provided with the label in the craft.

Kayaks canoes and sailboats are the only thing exempt from the label requirements and as I stated until such a day when they add layout boats we will continue to follow the USCG standards as a manufacturer.

The gentleman is an older gentleman actually showed us how to do are labels and we simply made them the same way he suggested. We are expecting another visit from him real soon actually.

Its just not worth it in todays world of lawsuit crazy people to not do everything in my power to protect my family and those who purchase products from us by assuring them they are safe according to USCG Standards regardless of what they are called or considered. Even if they were excempt we would continue to us the testing procedures set forth in the manual.

Back