who has the best goose call?????

todd c

looking for a goose call that is very realistic in sound, and very easy to work for a beginner. resonable price is always nice. but if i have to pay top dollar to sound like pro so be it. thanks. T.

Last edited:
A Winglock goose Whisperer is about as easy as they come. They are not expensive and sound good too.

I love my Tim Grounds Pro Super Mag. His mom is also the nicest person on the planet earth. She gave us the grand tour of her son's shop when we stopped by on our KY road trip. Great calls and great people.

I have been through a ton of goose calls and I have settled on 3, Winglock Whisperer, Shore Thing, and a custom call by Larry Blair (member here). I wish I would have never sold my RNT Dirty Bird (shorter and higher pitched)

All have their place and I wouldn't feel "under called" if I only had one, but those are my 4 favorites after trying probably 35-40 calls

Good luck.

For a beginner the Whisperer is tough to beat.

I love my Tim Grounds Pro Super Mag. His mom is also the nicest person on the planet earth. She gave us the grand tour of her son's shop when we stopped by on our KY road trip. Great calls and great people.

KY road trip, huh? Got any pics?

products_05_big_0.png

I've had good luck with a Zink Paralyzer, they are very expensive new but I picked up a like-new used one for $60. Easy to run and lots of range. I've also heard really good things about the Winglock calls.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes but I disagree a bit. The Winglock Whisperer is very easy to use but I don't think it sounds goosey. Sure its good enough to kill some geese with, but it is a very quiet call, hence the name. Its bore is so tight that it creates its own backpressure. You can pretty much use it without your off hand, unlike most short reeds. I could not see using it as my only call. I originally got it hoping that it would be quiet enough not to echo badly in the narrow river valleys that I hunt. The hedge version I had sounded better than the delrin one I have now (the hedge call split). However it was even quieter and neither sounded as good as my other calls.

If you can borrow or buy the "Bad Grammar" DVD by Scott Threinen (or another instructional DVD, that isn't selling a particular call) it should be helpful in your selection. He does a good job explaining how the design of the call relates to sound, ease of use etc. Its worth it to spend the $20 on the DVD before spending money on expensive calls or multiple calls. I think that alone is worth the price but the calling instruction is great as well. When you try a call that works for you, you will know what it is about that call that works for you.

The first short reed I used required a lot of air and manipulating the backpressure. That was very difficult for me, being new to short reeds. That is one thing that I will say for the Whisperer. It does not require a lot of air, but it requires so little air that it isn't very comparable to other short reeds in general.

It may not sound helpful since I didn't just recomend "Call XYZ" but it does depend a lot on you. Just trying to pass on some benefits from the money I spent experimenting...

A good start for a beginner would be a Zink Power Maximus or Zink Power Clucker in the polycarb model. Buy the combo package that includes The Art of Paralyzing Geese. In the video, Fred Zink goes over the operation of a short reed goose call that for a beginner, is sure to get you off on the right track. I've seen this combo for 29 bucks at several stores. Try Cabelas or Zink's website.

Todd C,

Hold off for just a little bit. I'm about to add a goose call to the lineup that will fit what you're looking for to a "T."

It won't cost you top dollar either, but I guarantee it will look and sound that way. May even be able to do matched sets (duck + goose).

I have the Buck Gardner Canada Hammer 2 and I like the sound of that call, I also have a big river flute call - the easiest goose call to use EVER! And my cuz has the Power Clucker and that thing has a beautiful sound to.

Canada Hammer - 20$
Power Clucker - 20-30$
Big River - 25-35$ (i believe)

Todd,
There are tons of calls that are very realistic in sound and not too expensive. The trick is finding a goose call that works and sounds good for you. If you expect to have geese doing backflips as soon as you pick up a new call, it probably won't happen. Many calls are all about knowing what you are doing. I am NOT a world class or even great caller, I am average and have amazed myself at times (few). Some of my calls that I would rather use as fire wood have been made to sound incredible by one of my friends blowing thru it. Some calls I can work, some I can't! For me, a long barreled goose flute tends to be the easiest to blow and control back pressure. I still need to work on my short calls, but that's what the off season is for.

dc

looking for a goose call that is very realistic in sound, and very easy to work for a beginner. resonable price is always nice. but if i have to pay top dollar to sound like pro so be it. thanks. T.
Todd,

You might want to ask Dave Larsen if he's got any plans to turn more goose calls. It is, by far, the favorite call on my lanyard. Sweet tone, very easy to change notes, double cluck etc. I can't say enough about it. This link has some pics...mine is the bocote on the right. Scott

http://www.duckboats.net/...=goose%20call;#44555

You might also want to take up MLBob Furia on his offer. If its like anything else from Bob's workshop, it will be of the highest quality.

From my point of view, I prefer buying these kinds of products from friends of mine on this forum. Why buy something from Cabela's or another "big" store, when you can buy from the guy that actually made it with his own two hands. Dave and Bob are both seriously legitimate craftsmen. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
The best advice is the buy a good call and stick with it. I found luck with the video Honker Talk. It is an older video now, but really covers the basics. I don't know if the newer videos do as they may not want to repeat information.

I picked up a nice call from J&R calls out of northern Ny. Easy to blow and very Goose like. My hunting partners even let me call this fall...lol

Pm me if you want a # afriend of mine sells them in his shop

Todd C,
I just got a new duck call from Bob. It is very nice, excellent craftsmanship. I would wait until he makes his goose call and get one.
Sonny

Obviously short reeds rule now. I still feel that the Big River Long Honker is easy to blow and a great meat call.I have a walnut long honker that has had many 100+ goose seasons over the past 23 years. And that is talking geese right down on the water and in the field within 15-25 yards. Im happy everyone else is blowing a short reed call. I like sounding different. When the birds quit working my flute call I look for something else. I enjoy playing with different calls but I'll take the flute.

Back