who has the best goose call?????

Beginner look no further than the Big River wood flute. I've pulled many migrating geese down from 80 - 100 yards up and had them landing into one old Flambeau goose decoy.

If you're thinking short reed, I'd suggest Tim Ground's Super Mag poly carb. It's about $60 and sounds great. Easy to crack over too - sounds as good as the calls that are over twice the price. Once you get the basics of a short reed then try making a trip to Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc. to try out all the other brands and models to find out which one sounds best for you.

It's all based on the caller in what sounds good for them. We all have different sized mouths, tooth arrangement, etc that I feel plays a role in how you sound through a call. I'll be honest, all the Zink calls I've blown are terrible. The Foiles calls are all too high pitched. I have a Lynch Mob Executioner that sounds good but requires a lot of back pressure to crack it. Those are all my experiences with those brands. It may be different for you.

So get something more inexpensive now until you know how to make basic clucks and moans. Then find a call that you feel can do the most with. There's no need to own 50 different calls based on 50 different situations - if you catch my drift.

I have a Big River Long Honker and it is a great call. Easy to blow and you can create many different sounds with it. I do think I will also add a short reed to my lanyard, so I am viewing this post with interest. Thanks!

Buy a big river. But if someone wants a cheap short reed look to Wing Supply. Grounds Super Mag poly in ugly orange for $30. HS Hitman shortreed for $6.00 in the closeout closet. I have blown more expensive calls that werent as easy to blow and didnt sound as good. For six bucks, about ten with shipping, buy one to practice and then get a long honker to go kill geese.

Big river? REALLY???

doooooo wit doooooo wit wit.......I hear you guys in my nightmares

For a beginner who wants to just get their feet wet in calling geese, that's the best (inexpensive) option out there. I used mine for years and killed many geese; some of my best memories have come from whaling on mine to convince large flocks to lock in. The short reed is more versatile, but can discourage beginners from getting into calling because of the degree of difficulty for getting it to sound good.

I don't know the kind of person Todd is - if he's the persistent type or not - but you have to give a beginner all options. I don't mind guys in my blind blowing their Big Rivers when I am going to town on my short reed. Not all geese sound the same, so a bit of variance in the blind is great to have.

Knight and Hale, Double Cluck Plus....Not that I am native Kentucky boy keeping the good ole boys from Cadiz in Business, but:

One call I have not seen anybody talk about for the money is Knight and Hale Double Cluck plus...The con is that it is tricky to learn to blow with one added feature on the inhale you get the higher or lower pitch Lurk...I recommend the call because it is the go to call for me....There is not much you can't do with that call...If you hunt with others whom are good callers you can bellow all kinds of breaking come here calls and ok land calls while the group hits their double clucks! Filling the landing zone with happy sounds to bring them in gun range...

One trick to the call or any call is you can adjust the reed to your liking as you would any call...I usually push my reed rearward just a smidge to get a lower tone...Had one for near 20 years until I lost it last year coming back from Canada...My birthday present this year was a New Double Cluck Plus...Have had many of calls from $20 to $150 bucks...Dollar for dollar it is a true meat call if you have patience in learning how to use it...

Once you have mastered the call you can blow in sequence of inhale and exhale without turning your face red then blue...I am sure if you practice, practice, practice you will treasure this call...If you buy this call you can cuss me at first...But cuss your self when you put it down in not trying on how to break the call...It will put meat on the table...

Regards,

Kristan

Lots of good suggestions on here! I actually make my own goose calls and you might be interested in taking a look. I can tune one up however you'd like, and have calls in 2 different price ranges. Otherwise, as suggested before, talk to Dave Larsen on here. He can get you hooked up with a nice call!

www.deadicatedgoosecalls.com

Lots of good suggestions on here! I actually make my own goose calls and you might be interested in taking a look. I can tune one up however you'd like, and have calls in 2 different price ranges. Otherwise, as suggested before, talk to Dave Larsen on here. He can get you hooked up with a nice call!

www.deadicatedgoosecalls.com

I dont do much for goose calls anymore the big flutes take so much time and are a pain in the arse lol
but I may do some more soon for a change of pace after i carve some heads for a guy that is. Taylors
calls guys are excellent and the Kid can call. He knows his stuff and make a great call, wish when i was
18 I would of started my own call making company and kept with it like he has. He also works for me here
at Ace and is a hunting nut..... yup hardware... Nut..... :)

This is the call he made for me recently I traded him some decoys for it. now I just gotta get lessons
cause Im a FLUTE caller (even used to blow big river LMAO)

My Deadicated Black on Black with white band COOT SPECIAL!

Keep your eyes posted soon for another free kids call raffle will have it posted by Feb-1st and think we have a couple of calls this time :) for thoes that remember we havent done one in a while. kids parents post a pic of them with the topic of the give away to enter. Good stuff and a couple of kids will get some noise makers to play with.

I second the Bill Saunders Traffic. I'm actually going to buy a second one in hedge so the tuning and pitch is slightly different. Former Super Mag guy.

Yes not ur normal clucker style guts and taylor can tune it how u want it.
George I talked to him and he can make them easy for even an old guy to
make it sound good and not tucker you out. :)

Last edited:
1st choice John taylor (it's a shore thing ) nasty call and it reaches out there if needed
2nd Foiles (p.s. don't shoot me) LOL But makes a great call

I know people are not happy with Foiles right now but that Strait Meat call is a killer in the right hands..

1st choice John taylor (it's a shore thing ) nasty call and it reaches out there if needed

I can't fathom why someone would use, let alone suggest someone buy, a foiles product. The guys is a scumbag violator and gave our entire community a black eye. I wouldn't use one if I had one and I sure wouldn't ever buy one.

T

I can't fathom why someone would use, let alone suggest someone buy, a foiles product. The guys is a scumbag violator and gave our entire community a black eye. I wouldn't use one if I had one and I sure wouldn't ever buy one.

T

+1 I agree and after seeing the new DVD promo of his Kid taking over while the old man is up the river there
doesn't seem to be any effort to change the image.

just my .02

had the foiles call for 12 yrs ,and yes what he did is NO GOOD!!! but what was asked was about calls not the person that made them,i'm sure any normal person that loves this sport agress he is a total F-Up i used some of his newer calls don't like them, the one i have is from 12 years ago is a killer call.
it was used and won all the awards back in 99
i,m not suggesting buying anything with his name on it after what he did just talking about a old call. if anyone has not tried the john taylor next time you go to show check one out nasty loud, throw's a sweet spit etc etc etc

Last edited:
Back