Who Is In The Wrong?

Jeff Reardon said:
I'm losing patience with the hunters, if only because every update, which could be a short paragraph, is instead a 20 minute video.

That said, it seemed from the beginning that regardless of the trespass issue, the landowner was out of line and at least borderline hunter harassment.

Relax Francis! [w00t]

The end result will be less access for the freelancer and the common man. Youtube is a business, the more views the more money. Why else does one find it necessary to video every possible experience in life and post it for the world to see? Soon enough, one will have to pay the landowner royalties off of the videos filmed on their land.

John Carter said:
The end result will be less access for the freelancer and the common man. Youtube is a business, the more views the more money. Why else does one find it necessary to video every possible experience in life and post it for the world to see? Soon enough, one will have to pay the landowner royalties off of the videos filmed on their land.

That brings up an interesting point. Can you legally video someone on their own land and publish it without their consent? I know you can video in public but thought that right ended there.

Eric

I think the hunters did nothing wrong! Were they on the line or maybe 1-2 feet on the other property? Sure but would any of you have even cared if it was your property? It's not like they didn't have permission for the other field or they set up out in the middle of the other guys land or they were on the line and shooting the birds over the other guys field. NOBODY knows where the real line is and if they had moved 5" into the bean field they could have still been illegal. They used the best guess they had and were polite and ethical. Can't we all just get along?

Eric Patterson said:
John Carter said:

That brings up an interesting point. Can you legally video someone on their own land and publish it without their consent? I know you can video in public but thought that right ended there.

Eric

Yes you can. Google Earth has people on some of the images. Google Street view as well. In most places it is legal to fly a drone and take pics or videos of people anyway and publish (nothing unseemly).

And if it were illegal, those kids videotaping the farmer on his land would have been charged with something.

Regarding filming hunts for essentially profit - I know that in many states you have to pay for a permit to film and that permit is valid for certain areas / counties only.

I'm of the opinion that there will be many farmers and land owners who will not care for all the drama and publicity that the youtubers so much desire (to get their likes, clicks, views, etc) and will stop letting strangers hunt their land.

Mark W said:
Yes you can.

That isn't completely true. I guarantee if you stood on public ground just outside of Redstone Arsenal and started taking pictures or flying drones you would quickly be arrested. My point is there are probably some situations where it is legal, and others where it isn't. Probably in this case you are correct that they don't need permission, but there are certainly times where you can't. I don't know where the line is.

It's no wonder there's no shortage of people going to court. A lot of laws on the books and no end to people who disagree and can't work it out. Been there myself.

Eric

p.s. I suspect there is probably a whole other side to this too. Audio and video I bet are different under the law.

Last edited:
Eric Patterson said:
Mark W said:
Yes you can.

That isn't completely true. I guarantee if you stood on public ground just outside of Redstone Arsenal and started taking pictures or flying drones you would quickly be arrested. My point is there are probably some situations where it is legal, and others where it isn't. Probably in this case you are correct that they don't need permission, but there are certainly times where you can't. I don't know where the line is.

It's no wonder there's no shortage of people going to court. A lot of laws on the books and no end to people who disagree and can't work it out. Been there myself.

Eric

p.s. I suspect there is probably a whole other side to this too. Audio and video I bet are different under the law.

In regards to flying drones, there are very strict rules where one can fly and can't. On DJI drones as an example, they will not even take off it in a restricted area. Geofencing.

For drone flyers there are a couple of apps one can open before flying that shows an individual where you those restricted area are. Around any airport is a big no no for instance. With my drone, if I'm within 5 miles of an airport the flying is restricted. Right on the drone controller, I can request permission to fly in these zones and it is typically granted as long as I stay under a certain altitude and other restrictions.

National Parks are off limits and you cannot fly within one. Meaning you can't take off and land in one. You can stand outside the park and then fly the drone overhead. Airspace rules are interesting. If one thinks hunting rules can be confusing, go look at the drone rules and regs.

New law coming September 2023 where every drone must have what is called active remote ID where the FAA can track every flight to ensure laws are being followed. Will be interesting to see how this works out as I?m guessing there are a lot more drones than aircraft.

Last edited:
Back