Winchester Super X Pump

Why would anyone want to go around the 870 Remington for a pump gun?

Unless you are a history buff and want a model 12 winchester, or a bottom eject like an Ithica 37.

Or if finish and high end looks are your thing a browning BPS.

But for cheap ....... you will find used 870's for very short money and it will take a real hardcore shooter to wear one out.
Aftermarket anything is available and you can go from the Express to a fully hotrodded one with all the stocks\barrels\other parts that the catalogs have.

I offer this opinion for free, it is worth what it cost.

PS. no dislike of Winchester here, just not a fan of the new model shucker trying to do what the Rem. replacement for the model 12 Win already does, IE work every time.

I don't like to knock winchester either- I own a half dozen + model 12s and a 1300 none work as slick for me as the 870 wingmasters. In my opinion (not that any one asked) used 870 wingmasters are the best deal going. I never personally cared for the dupont shiny finish but that can be fixed. That said I am a sucker for orphan shotguns and I don't mind spending some money to have them tailored to my tastes.

Cant beat an 870. You can get any type of finish or barrel you want. They take a beating. You can even get them in 3.5. Everybody should at least have one. John

I've already got an 870 Express. My brother in law was planning to get a shotgun as he's only got a 16 gauge single with fixed full choke. So I've finally got him convinced (and it wasn't easy) that his cherished family heirloom isn't the best weapon for waterfowling. So he's taken a shining to the Winchester SXP, blasphemy I know. So I take it that no one owns one or has fired one?

Thanks
Bill

The 870 and the 870 express are not the same. The wood, finish and bore finish are different. Some of the internal parts were changed here and there over the years also. It's the WINGMASTER that gave Remington it's loyal following. I have owned one for over 40 years. I gave it away to my son a few years ago after winning a new shotgun. I used to compete with the 870. I have literally shot it tens of thousands of times. I never once had a misfire (except for bad ammo) with it. I won a gold metal with it in the '94 Police Olympics in Portland Oregon. Now I shoot a Ruger over under. I like the over under better... and if you wear tweed knickers and knee high rubber boots, smoke a Sherlock Holmes pipe, well.... you know....

Last edited:
Well, just going by the link, it looks like they are "competing" with the Remington 887 and the Benelli Nova for the prize of biggest hunk of crapola. I got my hands on the 887 this weekend and it's pretty bad. They may (or may not) be functional, but they darn sure aren't anything to look at and the actions are smooth as gravel.

I made the mistake of buying a new gun in the first year of its production. Never again. These days, I don't buy new guns at all, but if I were to buy something new, it would be one that was established in the market.

There are only two kinds of pump guns - 870 wingmaster and Model 12. Get the 870 for 3" and choke tubes or the Model 12 for class. (I use both extensively!)

NR

Hey Nick,
I have a Model 12 heavy duck that shoots 3'' shells but it's choked very tight.
Would it be crazy to put choke tubes in it and shoot steel??
Just a thought, John

No it wouldn't. I assume it's been used and not a wall hanger, a set of tubes is only going to
help, and let you use a favorite gun again.

I'm not a fan of altering a classic. It's only original once. But ultimately, it's your gun to do with as you choose. As time goes by, there are fewer and fewer originals out there. Some bite the dust, others are refinished or upgraded making true originals that much more scarce. That's what I want, purely original regardless of condition.

3" model 12s had a reputation of not cycling well, especially on overhead/high angle shots. I had a 3" solid rib for a while, but it hung up like that and was not reliable like a 2 3/4" model 12.

If your gun has a lot of wear or has been used hard, choke tubes won't dramatically change the value. But if it's in pretty nice shape, I'd hate to see it go to the chop shop. For the money spent on installing choke tubes, I'd recommend using a soft no-tox like bismuth, Kent Impact, etc.

Or I could trade you a 3" wingmaster for it!

NR

Kind of agree with you Nick. If it's perfect then dont mess with it. However if it's a gun you really want to shoot,
and it's yours, then make it shootable.
I was going to suggest just opening the choke, but I figured someone would find that just as offensive as the tubes.

Terry Weiand did as interesting article in Gray's Sporting Journal a while back about collectors and shooters.
He brought up some really good points about how one man's trash is anothers treasure.
My favorite gun, an A-grade Fox, has been altered to look like a C-grade and the chokes have been opened
to skeet and I.C.. The stock has a leather pad to extend it 1/2" and someone even gold plated the triggers!
It was all done before I bought it, and may have been the only reason I could afford it.
Regardless, it shoots wonderful (for me), and is much more useful choked like than than Mod. and Full as
from factory.
A real Fox collector would turn his nose up at it, but I would take it over any same grade Factory fresh gun.

Just my $.02.

P.S. I would probably open the chokes on the upgraded Factory fresh gun too! I'm like that :)

You can always get a second barrel. New ones come with chokes nowadays. That way you can keep your original barrel original if you want.

Dave E

I have a 12 Ga 870 TB grade that I bought in college and other than a broken firing pin after thirty years of use, it has never failed me, that is my go to duck gun. I also have my Dad's 16 ga Model 12 that he got the year I was born (1949), it has beautiful wood for a field grade, it is super light (based on the 20 ga frame), and it is wonderful in the field chasing pheasants. I of course have many more shotguns, but those two are my favorite from a function and emotional standpoint.

John

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]In Reply To[/font]
There are only two kinds of pump guns - 870 wingmaster and Model 12. Get the 870 for 3" and choke tubes or the Model 12 for class. (I use both extensively!)

NR[/QUOTE]

Back