Windproof layer question

Walton Webster

I have already got my wind proof layer on my boat. Its a brown tarp that will be dulled out with a dull paint. The problem i have run into is how do i attach this layer to the boat at the rails. i want the layer to be fairly tight. i"ll post a picture and see if you can help me out. anyone delt with this problem before? i am trying not to run 50 screws through my rails. I could see someone cutting a finger on these..

IMG00498-1.jpg

I am trying to attach this tarp tight to the rails to keep the trap from moving in the wind.

IMG00507.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We have sewn in a chain or weights into the bottom edge to keep it from flapping and that works pretty well, but our layers are less wind resistant then a tarp.
btw Do you really need that kind of wind block in Mississippi? I could see that getting very warm on sunny days. We get plenty of them in the fall way up here in South Dakota.

Tim

we can get some chilly north winds around here come Dec/Jan. This layer was chosen because its wind and rain proof. And i hope it keeps me warmer in the sun!

i've thought about the chain or a weight at the bottom, but i feel when i fold the blind up for travel mode that the material wont fold up as i"d like.. instead of folding in half i feel the material will want to "slide" off the boat. But i could be wrong.

tighter than a bulls butt in fly time its going to be noisier than an orphanage on "pick your kid day".....

Nothingmenitoned so far, like bungees or chains, is going to get it taunt enough so thatt it doesn't flap in even the slightest of winds......if noise bothers you then you better look at some way to fasten it to the sides and then tension it so that its TAUT so that it can't rattle and pop in the wind.

My .02....

Steve

I was thinking that same thing (noise) after I posted..

Camo burlap or clothe is a much better (quieter) option.

I don't usually have a lot to add, but this thread struck a chord so I will tell what I know in hopes it will help someone.

I live in east central Florida so burlap is what we use here the most. I have tried something similar to what you have said. I used lead core line (the kind you use on fishing nets). http://www.memphisnet.net/category/rope_braided_leadline I always have some lying around so I don't have to buy it. I used to sew sails and I used my needles to sew the leadline around the bottom of my blind. I used waxed sail thread of #4 dacron. I roll my blind up after every hunt and it rolls up nicely. I hunt out of a Gheenoe lowsider. I can set the blind up in 5 minutes and put it away almost as quickly. I have liked this blind very much as most I have had would flap in the wind.

Best regards,
Frank Kapp

and one from Sebastian....hopefully you fish as well as hunt....in which case I'll start "sucking up" now for a BIG SNOOK next summer when I'm in Florida...

Seriously welcome to the board and my apologies f I haven't noticed you posting previously.

Steve

I think it will keep the chill out if you have some wind, but it may flap. It would be worth using the easiest approach first... i e Bungie and trying it early. You could then change to a more intense system if you find it needs it. The feed back would be helpful to others and for some it might work. I am guessing that like tarp boat covers for winter storage its gona really rock in a good wind.
We had one guy use golf balls tied up into the tarp to get a better hold for the ropes he used going under the boat. You should have heard those things hitting the boat next to his when the wind blew hard the first time. This was for winter cover on land but it still sticks in my mind, "What the heck is that noise over there?" Sounded like a gatling gun.

Back