Worthwhile Adventure Story or Irresponsible Journalism?

Larry Eckart

Guys,
There is a columnist for the local small paper who regularly writes about fishing and boating. Since it is in the time of the year when the fish aren't biting, he decided to write a column about two dangerous duck hunting trips he took earlier in life.

My reaction to the story: I think it was irresponsible, especially since he didn't point out several ways he modeled unsafe boating practices.

What do you think? Is this irresponsible or just another adventure story?

Larry

Man vs. Water: How This Columnist Survived a Couple Close Calls
By Collins Doughtie, Island Packet

Anyone who has spent a lot of time on the water knows that sooner or later things may go south.
It may be running aground on a sandbar and having to wait hours for the tide to float the boat or forgetting to put the plug in a boat when launching from a boat ramp, but regardless of what it might be, the ocean can and will throw you a curve ball at some point.

Since the fish still aren’t chewing, I thought I might share a couple of my better “gone south” tales while on the water. Like that retro TV commercial said, “It isn’t nice to fool Mother Nature.” Ain’t it the truth!

Years ago, local architect Wayne Windham, his pet Chesapeake retriever and I headed off to go duck hunting south of Daufuskie Island. It was 4 a.m. in January, and boy was it cold, probably down around freezing. We had Wayne’s boat loaded down with dozens of duck decoys, our guns and provisions we might need that day.

Because the ocean was fairly calm, we decided to run along the ocean side of Daufuskie Island because it would cut considerable time off the run to our hunting location. As we neared the south end of Daufuskie, I moved my foot and realized water was in the boat. But before I could say anything to Wayne, the boat began to roll over on both us. It was just that quick.

In the pitch black we hit the freezing cold water. Both of us had on chest waders that immediately filled with water so swimming became almost impossible. To make matters worse, the tide was outgoing, making progress toward the beach that much harder.

Luckily I had grabbed my waterproof backpack as I went overboard, allowing me to wrap my arms around it for floatation. With adrenaline pumping, we finally started to make progress – that is until Wayne’s big Chesapeake decided our swim was a game and began crawling up our backs pushing our heads under water. I was terrified.

Remember all of this was happening in the dark, so it was nearly impossible to make heads or tails of where we were and just how far away from the beach we were. When my foot finally touched bottom, I started thanking God like I had never ever done before.

Soaking wet, we sat shaking uncontrollably on a piece of driftwood recounting how close to death we had come while deciding our next move. It was then that I opened my backpack and inside was a bottle of Old Mr. Boston’s Rock n’ Rye whiskey, a staple we always carried with us on cold duck hunting days. Passing it back and forth, we emptied that bottle as we made toasts to life before each sip. We never did find out what caused the boat to sink, but at least we were both alive.
Thinking back I am beginning to think duck hunting in the winter is dangerous to your health. With that said, this time I was duck hunting with local builder David Donnell on Turtle Island, located just south of Daufuskie Island.

The potholes we hunt on that island are hard to get to no matter what the tide, so we decided to anchor the boat far enough outside the surf line so the falling tide wouldn’t leave us high and dry when we decided to head home. After a fairly good shoot, we gathered up our decoys and headed toward the boat. But when we got to the top of sand dune near the beach, there was no boat in sight! Stunned, we thought it had floated away, until David saw a small section of green aluminum bobbing in the waves. Once again it was pretty darn chilly, but that didn’t stop us both from running through the waves.

As we got to the boat, it was completely submerged. Grabbing the anchor line we let the waves help us push the boat to shore. Everything in the boat was gone, including the gas tank. To make matters worse, sand was a good 10 inches deep in the bottom of the boat.

As we got to the boat, it was completely submerged. Grabbing the anchor line we let the waves help us push the boat to shore. Everything in the boat was gone, including the gas tank. To make matters worse, sand was a good 10 inches deep in the bottom of the boat.

Using items found on the beach it took us an hour to scoop out most of the sand, and then we went looking for the gas tank. About a quarter mile down the beach we found the tank, but in that time the outgoing tide was close to leaving us stranded. We didn’t know if the engine would even start since it too was submerged, but when David went to hook up the gas tank, he realized the black gas line was also missing. Heading in different directions we searched for the gas line, but neither of us could find it.

Cold and wet, we were in big trouble. No radio, no phone and no gas line.
Dejected and walking in shallow water toward David, I felt something bump my foot and looking down I saw what looked like a black snake come to the surface and disappear just as quickly. Reaching down, I felt around and grabbed that snake and it was the gas hose! We couldn’t believe it.

Using logs under the boat as rollers, we struggled to catch the receding water almost at the same rate as our progress toward it. Exhausted, we finally floated the boat, hooked up the gas tank and the engine started on the first turn of the key! Somebody was definitely looking after us.

So expect the unexpected if you spend a lot of time on the water. The ocean is to be respected – maybe feared is a better word. She can take you in a heartbeat, so don’t test her because she will win ever single time.

WHISKEY??? What the hell? This clown needs to have his fingers spanked and a retroactive ticket written for drinking while hunting. I guess God does watch over fools.

Larry Eckart said:
Guys,
What do you think? Is this irresponsible or just another adventure story?

Larry

Man vs. Water: How This Columnist Survived a Couple Close Calls
By Collins Doughtie, Island Packet

Yes it was just another adventure story. The title of his column is a bit misleading as it would suggest to the reader that he would learn the "How" portion of the tale. This was never presented so the column served no purpose other than entertainment value.

Could it have been done differently and used as an educational piece? Most definitely. The columnist apparently choose to entertain rather than educate.

I think I would stay away from Dasfusikie Island!!!! Not a great piece of writing, but not contemptuous either

Tom Scholberg said:
WHISKEY??? What the hell? This clown needs to have his fingers spanked and a retroactive ticket written for drinking while hunting. I guess God does watch over fools.
It’s hard to say since we don’t know all we know is that they had it with them. He didn’t say they knock back shots in between flocks. For all we know they were camping or planning on a drink at the end of the hunt. Drinking whiskey to stave off hypothermia is probably a bad idea but for all we know they were just waiting on their ride home.

Aside from not wearing a life vest, I don’t see anything “irresponsible “ in either story. I’ve certainly misjudged tides before, not duck hunting but I’ve done it.

I think I will echo Tom's comments. Why? A full bottle of whiskey(even a pint) doesn't go duck hunting, or as a post hunt "toast", nor does it belong on the water in cold weather conditions, duck hunt, pleasure boat trip, or fishing trip. I've fished salmon and trout on the Great Lakes for well over twenty years. Yes, I had alcohol (beer) on board while we were fishing during the July through August interval in hot weather. As Captain, I have always viewed my chief responsibility to be ensuring that everyone on board arrived back at the marina safely, with no incidents. Alcohol consumption impairs your motor skills, along with a whole sequence of physiologic sequelae that result in exacerbating hypothermia. So, beyond Forest Gump's 'stupid is as stupid does', I view his recounting of events as a bald-faced lie! You don't survive a full immersion hypothermia event, reach shore by swimming with waders on to emerge soaking wet in the dark, and start drinking as your first activity; and survive. All events he recounts prior reaching shallow water were costing them both precious calories. No mention whatsoever of how the two of them navigated the surf in waders full of water once they stood up. No mention of getting away from the wind and dumping their wader's contents. No wader belts worn- apparently. And, finally, no mention of the key sequence to their apparent survival: how they reached a warm hearth and dry clothes once out of the water.

I used to swim gillnets off the beach for a doctoral student's research. I started at ice-out on Lake Michigan wearing a cheap chemical blown wet suit that consisted of high waist pants that stopped at the bottom of my rib cage. It was an interval of absolute misery when that suit would first fill-up with water, as I was bobbing around on my back with an anchor plopped on my US Divers "horse-collar" BC, waiting for Bob to give me two flashes, the signal to start kicking like mad for the next few minutes, or until I saw one flash telling me he had a tangle, which meant stop and wait. By my first fall I had purchased a Poseidon Brute Suit with 3/8" farmer john's under the tunic, and lobster mitt gloves to replace my five finger pair. You want a good workout? Walk around in a wet-suit over dunes for a few hours every other day!

After you have been in ice-cold water on full immersion, no one, runs into the surf willingly to retrieve a swamped boat prior assessing their on-shore, remain dry and signal for help or find help options! They were dry. They had birds for food, assuming they had not packed any with them. Water? I am assuming the pond hunted was brackish or salt. So I would start looking for any source of standing rainwater to heat. They both likely had ammunition to signal passing boats.

Why? : No radio. No phone. Water? No float plan mentioned that would initiate a search eventually? No life jackets worn while running in a small boat on the open ocean. Apparently, no check list that included making sure the plug was seated well after launching, or a cursory inspection of the boat, post-launch to ensure no water intrusion? Why no safety flares or signaling equipment mentioned anywhere regarding the flotsam that had washed-up on shore when the boat swamped? My expired hand flares are bagged in a Zip-loc on the shelf under my butt in the TDB. My ORANGE Plano box contains my signal whistle and flasher, unexpired flares and a flare pistol with an additional six rounds of aerial flares AND both a striker and waterproof matches. It floats, since I tested it after assembling its contents.

I never go into the woods or on the water without a Silva wrist compass on, whether I have a GPS(Actually, I carry my handheld unit in addition, as back-up.) mounted in the boat, as well as my flip-phone, which is fully waterproof, despite near zero coverage in the main areas I hunt on the Great Lakes.

Pastor, this article was wasted space, since he could've used it as an example of what not to do in each scenario!

I had no problem with the stories. He just told what happened. He didn't tell every last detail; it wasn't a legal debriefing. The stories were certainly not told in a manner that would make someone want to emulate the storyteller's actions.

“No one”. I would say they did what someone above said no one does it.

Liquor along for the ride. Big deal. They didnt mentioned when they would take a drinkor even if they took a drink. For all we know they pour shots and toss them over their shoulder to remember a buddy since passed.
(I'm talking about the other times the booze was along, not this particular incident)
Ive seen this done.

The beer, or a drink on the water isn’t going to impair anyone enough to cause catastrophic problems. What’s the issue? Even the nanny state says you aren’t impaired until you reach .08.

For what it’s worth

Mark

Last edited:
Mark, they started drinking the moment the found the whiskey bottle, once onshore, according to the author.

I have piloted 14 different boats, everything from a 35' trap net boat to an Alcort sunfish. The vast majority of folks who own boats can't drive them sober, particularly in tight quarters and/or difficult situations. I wish I had a photo of every boat that ripped-out a drive unit, went aground on a reef or shoal, hit a marked chunk of dolomite, or ran into another boat while maneuvering in tight quarters within a marina, particularly in windy conditions...by my count 14 that I remember since 2003, including one brand-spanking new walleye tournament boat that the guy had just taken delivery on prior coming up to fish the Cabelas Tournament on Little Bay de Noc. He decided to come down to Fairport to fish for salmon prior the start of the tournament pre-fish period. He was told to follow someone else out to set a track to follow back in after dark. He failed to zoom his screen to maximum prior running back in and ran up on a shoal that extends well-out off the tip of Big Summer Island; lower unit shot, and about a three foot gash in his mega-dollar Lund, complete with his name on the custom painted on the engine cowling. He had had two cans of beer, per his admission.

I saw a Charter captain with over a decade of experience launch his Sportcraft without the transom plug in. I was tied-off by the ice machine and just happened to look-up as he was launching; mainly to make sure my Whaler was not at risk. I saw the beer can in his hand, too, as I was yelling at him to stop.

I don't take my responsibility to my crew's safety lightly, maybe because I have been on a boat that sank and one that swamped,with experienced crew onboard each time who were sober; everyone survived.

I don't know much about the function of "the Nanny State", but I do know full-well the impacts of bad judgement when on the water. I have only had to pull one body out of the water, an experience I don't want to repeat. In her case, she suffered an epileptic seizure while swimming. Our life-saving class got "recruited" by the lifeguards at the beach to form an arm-in-arm chain to walk through the chest deep water to locate her body. A woman two down from me, Denise B., stepped on her. I had never seen a human that color; purplish-white, as we dragged her over to the float board. I guarantee that the memory will stick with you for the remainder of your life. I was sixteen.

My point was folks who were critical of there being booze in the duck boat and all the bad mouthing that was going on about booze in a duck boat. Unless we know the intent of the Hunters and booze everything is a guess.

Most of the stories you told have happened to me when there was no alcohol involved. No plug - check, check, check. Ruined lower unit from hitting stuff - check. Pulled a dead person out of the water - check. Pulled folks drowning out of the water who weren’t drinking - check.

I have owned a few boats over my lifetime and can tell everyone that you can have a drink or two and still be responsible. And yes, there are stupid folks who abuse it and operate a boat drounker than a skunk who should be thrown in jail or more. There are just as many stupid folks driving boats sober who do stupid stuff. Alcohol is not always the reason.

Please note that I have not hunted on the ocean and do not understand the tide and all of that goes along with it. Whether it his guy was stupid, irresponsible or a typical hunter who made a typical mistake - I don’t know. If this was an inland duck hunter, I would say this guy was a very typical hunter minus having booze along.

Nanny State - Government telling you how to live your life.

Mark

Last edited:
Good morning, Larry~

I guess my bottom line is somewhere between "uninteresting" and "not useful". Without any explanation of how each mistake occurred, it leaves the reader without the ability to ponder - What could have been done?

As a boater, I'm a firm believer in "leeway" - in both its literal and figurative senses. I always try to have a Plan B to avoid or get myself out of trouble.

Thanks for sharing this.

All the best,

SJS

Mark, impairment and intoxication are points on a continuum; separated by time...having real meaning only to enforcement personnel and a breathalyzer machine. How do you exacerbate or induce hypothermia in cold weather? Take a drink of whiskey, or several! That is why the story is implausible.

Most local outdoor writing is entertainment, (as already stated) if not mostly fiction, unless otherwise stated. All to be taken with a grain of salt. Many old wildfowling tales include things that are not "correct today", booze especially.

If a story has sway on a person, it began before they read about it. The cause lies deeper than somewhere to point fingers.

I have yet to go anywhere, hunting and fishing and not find empty beer and booze can/bottles.

If your brought up right, and know that Stupidity has is own reward, no story will change that.

After I read that article, I put a fifth of whiskey in the boat and got rid of my flares.

Don’t forget to leave your life jacket and kill switch lanyard at the house too!!

Carl said:
Don’t forget to leave your life jacket and kill switch lanyard at the house too!!

Everyone should already know by now that I don't wear a life jacket!

just so you know, the 5th is in plastic not glass, so no danger of getting cut on sharp edges when it is smashed AND it will burn in the beach bonfire when emptied.

Last edited:
God takes care of fools, small children and ships named Enterprise. That's the answer to the "How This Columnist Survived a Couple Close Calls" title.

This article does nothing to educate or entertain and is poorly written.

We've all been out on days we shouldn't have, and done a few things we shouldn't have...pushing the limits, and mostly getting away with it. The fact that he doesn't even know how one boat sank and the other got swamped just makes it even more worthless...

I don't want to say it was aliens, but...it was aliens...

Back