yamaha 20 h.p.motors

Cas Alkanowski

I would like anyones opinion of what they think of a 4-stroke 20 H.P. Yamaha motors in 15' shaft possibly elec. start? I've been told by a few that the 20 is a slug and I should go with a 15 or 25 H.P.motor and that it should be a 2- stroke. I have a HIGH TECK.14 foot fiber glass boat like the TDB's. I'm running a 15H H.P. mercury with 15 " shaft 2- stroke pull start.The boat is rated for a 20 H.P. motor and I'm thinking of upgrading from my 15 to the 20 yamaha engine because I was told by several people that the yamaha's are very reliable.I hunt the lower delaware river and rehoebeth bay waters by myself I'm 75 yrs of age and been duck hunting all my life since the age of 15 therefor I like the quick start [elec.]so if bad weather kicks up turn the key and off I go.I don't like messing with a bunch of knobs like choke,In and out lean and rich the weather changing from morning cold to warm afternoons etc.I believe my 25-4-stroke big foot merc. thats on my aluminum16 -footer has spoiled me HE He. TO OLD TO PULL IT and no Steve Sutton its not what your thinking .

Last edited:
I would go with a Yamaha 25 HP 2 stroke electric start. The 20 HP 4 stroke is a slug and weighs about the same as the 25 HP 2 stroke if I remember right. Yamaha 25 2 stroke is probably the best one ever made in my opinion. I think 09 was the last year they made them so you may have to make a few calls for a left over.

salem boat exchange has some 25 electric starts.....right over the delaware mem \orial bridge,,,they have a website if you wana look them up...

Cas,

I have a buddy with a HT 14. It is powered with a 25-hp Yamaha 4-stroke -- awesome motor but heavy!

That boat simply doesn't perform well as a planing hull. It has too much rocker and too narrow of transom.

With two gunners, a dog, and gear, it takes forever to plane. Once on plane, it is slow compared to a semi-v or deep-v aluminum boat. With 1 person, no dog, and light gear, it planes but starts to porpoise at about 3/4 throttle.

The long and short of it is this -- horsepower isn't really the answer. Doesn't matter if it's 2-stroke or 4.

I would however recommend a Yamaha 4-stroke for reliability and dependability.

Four strokes are great, but for duck boats where weight is a little more of a concern I'd stick to the yamaha two strokes. I have a 15 two stroke yamaha on my sneakbox and I love it and it is light.

I also have a yamaha 25 four stroke on my tin boat I use for river fishing. That 25 four stroke is H E A V Y HEAVY!

caz:

i have a yamaha 25, it is a tank, never had a problem with it and i don't cut it any slack. with that boat of yours when you get it camoed and loaded with decoys, dog and gear, the extra 5 hp will come in handy

caz.

My buddy runs a 25hp 2 stroke on a 14 ft TDB. (merc) He runs the boat heavy, cork decoys dog , me and him. The boat scoots. he also has a dolfin on it. Any questions give me a call

Phil

732 539 1121

I would like anyones opinion of what they think of a 4-stroke 20 H.P. Yamaha motors in 15' shaft possibly elec. start? I've been told by a few that the 20 is a slug and I should go with a 15 or 25 H.P.motor and that it should be a 2- stroke. I have a HIGH TECK.14 foot fiber glass boat like the TDB's. I'm running a 15H H.P. mercury with 15 " shaft 2- stroke pull start.The boat is rated for a 20 H.P. motor and I'm thinking of upgrading from my 15 to the 20 yamaha engine because I was told by several people that the yamaha's are very reliable.I hunt the lower delaware river and rehoebeth bay waters by myself I'm 75 yrs of age and been duck hunting all my life since the age of 15 therefor I like the quick start [elec.]so if bad weather kicks up turn the key and off I go.I don't like messing with a bunch of knobs like choke,In and out lean and rich the weather changing from morning cold to warm afternoons etc.I believe my 25-4-stroke big foot merc. thats on my aluminum16 -footer has spoiled me HE He. TO OLD TO PULL IT and no Steve Sutton its not what your thinking .
Thank you all for the input for helping me decide on the yamaha motor choice It will be a2009 25 2 strke w/ elec strt at around 111# its lighter in wt. compared to 4- stroke coming in at a 176# 65# lighter means alot.

You made a good choice Cas, the guys at Salem Boat Exchange are top shelf. Best place I've found in southern Jersey to get duck hunting stuff. They have an excellent reputation.

I'm just excited to hear that there's a 75 year old who is still gettin' after it every season. Makes me feel good that, with a little luck, I still may have lots more time on the water to look forward to in retirement.

Cas, I run a Merc 15hp 2 stroke on a 14' TDB, and with just me + a load of corks & the dog, it's plenty. Add another hunterand the difference is evident. The 25 - 2 stroke you just bought should be great.

Phil; thanks for the heads up on the shaft length.The transome on my HT Hawk is actualy 16 1/2 " but on the cant it is a true 16"s so the 17"s yamaha will work out well.

Back