Yet another wader question

Mark W

Have a pair of Cabelas breathable waders that he's served me well. Had to seal a couple catch seams last season and used the Awuaseal product. Worked well.

Used the waders a few days ago and it now seems I have a leak in the butt area. I don't think it is a seam. It maybe a general wear area.

Couple questions:

1. Do breathable just wear and then leak not in the seams but the fabric area?
2. Best way to determine if this is where the leak is?
3. Best way to repair a large area leak.

Thanks -

Mark

Dark room, Waders standing up stretched out, bright light on inside of waders. You,ll see any pin holes, etc. from outside waders. Aquaseal works for a while but quite frankly for hard use I prefer black 5200 adhesive. It can be found on AMAZON in either quick set or reg. 5200

Dark room, Waders standing up stretched out, bright light on inside of waders. You,ll see any pin holes, etc. from outside waders. Aquaseal works for a while but quite frankly for hard use I prefer black 5200 adhesive. It can be found on AMAZON in either quick set or reg. 5200
Thanks. From how wet I got for how short of a time I was in the water I'm thinking more than pinholes. Nothing visible.

Former 3M'er and actually worked in the Marine Trades group. 5200 and its variants are pretty impressive products. I think I even have a tube or two at home.

If you find seams leaking simply coat entire seam with the 5200. I've had to do that on a few pairs about year 3 or 4 to get use from them. Crotch seams especially seem to give out fastest and seam at juncture of boot & leg.

If you turn them inside out and use a spray bottle of water, pin holes will show up as dark spots. That's how I found mine along the crotch seam. I don't know if it works on big areas though.

The dark room/light inside the waders is the best way to find leaks, large or small. Even pin-prick holes and leaks along the seams show up. Circle with a sharpie, and coat with aquaseal or your goo of choice.

Thanks. From how wet I got for how short of a time I was in the water I'm thinking more than pinholes. Nothing visible.

Former 3M'er and actually worked in the Marine Trades group. 5200 and its variants are pretty impressive products. I think I even have a tube or two at home.
Remember to place that 5200 & its variants in a zip lock baggie in fridge after opening. Stays useable for years that way. If not it will harden in tube rather quickly after opening.

To find the leak i use a shop vac and reverse it so it blows air out. Put the hose in and seal the wader around it tight then spray it down with soap and water. Just like you used to do when finding a leak in a bicycle tube.

I take an air hose and fill the waders up with air like a balloon. Not too much pressure, but enough that if I squeeze on them a little, I can hear if there is an air leak somewhere. I invested in Sitka waders and this is exactly how they check for leaks when sending back for any warranty work.

It isn't pretty, and I don't know if it will work on breathables, but one of the old timers at my club uses tire patches on the neoprenes. That was something I had never seen anybody do before. A company called NoSo offers supposedly waterproof patches in several camo patterns, no experiences with them for the record, just a product I've come across.

Back