Youth Model 20 ga. What's available?

Thanks for the suggestion but I really don't know about a model 37. I've had a 12 ga. model 37 for 49 years and never realized how brutal it kicked me until I got an SBE. Now, a 20 ga. might be different. Something to check out.

Thanks for the suggestion but I really don't know about a model 37. I've had a 12 ga. model 37 for 49 years and never realized how brutal it kicked me until I got an SBE. Now, a 20 ga. might be different. Something to check out.

I completed my set of three Model 37s when an old 20 gauge was given to me this summer. For some reason mine seems a little less balanced than my 16 but I really enjoyed using it during dove season this September and it's a dream to carry when chasing mountain grouse.

Why a 20 gauge?And are you against an auto?

Dont get me wrong. My first gun, and I still hunt with it occasionally,was an 870LW Wingmaster.And I love that gun.

That gun kicks harder than a 12 gauge 1100. Light weight and fixed breech make sure of that. If your finances allow it, I would be looking for an older 1100 20 gauge, or maybe some other gas automatic.That is if it is for recoil reduction.
My daughter, who was all of 4'6" tall and weighed about 85 pounds, 11 years old CHOSE a 12 gauge auto after shooting a youth model 870.She shoots a Mossberg 5500 GAS auto, 1" shorter stock, 22" barrel.And still has no desire to change guns at 22 years old.She has shot ducks, geese, pheasants, quail and grouse with it.
More loads available for it than a 20.

If you are against an auto,
Then I agree with the rest.
I dont think there is a better gun built in the 870 Express price range.

Why a 20 gauge?And are you against an auto?

Pete,

How young of a person are you shopping for? At 14, I was a short, scrawny kid, and started shooting with an 1100 in 12 gauge. I personally like pumps for reliability, but the auto will take the sting out of it.

Chuck

Pete, I bought my 10.5 yr-old daughter the Charles Daly Field hunter VR-MC Youth 20 ga.
We pulled the factory recoil pad and put a slip on sims recoil pad on it and it's quite comfortable.

My 7.5 yr-old son WON a Rossi 20 ga single-shot at our DU banquet (I've never won a thing).
That little gun kicks harder than my Benelli M-2, and just as hard as my old 870 12 ga.

My $0.02: Buy the auto and shoot one shell at-a-time.

Pete,

This was Andrew's first year hunting ducks under the Mentorship program. He is 11 right now (March is 12) and years ago I bought a Mossberg 500C pump in 20 gauge for 100 at an estate sale. It had a 26" barrel. Now that was a bit long/heavy so I bought a new 22" barrel for 127 with shipping direct from Mossberg. Fits him like a glove.

My buddy bought his kid (10 and even smaller) an Estate 20g auto. Both kids shot each other's guns at clays. I will say that both liked the auto better since it felt like it kicked less, but both kids did very well with the 500.

We tried several 870 youths and I found that Andrew really seemed to develop poor form immediately with it since he was leaning back to compensate for the weight. Never really seemed to fit him.

Never was able to pick up a Mossberg bantum to compare, but I do believe the weight of the gun reduces recoil on the kid. That is why I never liked single shots.

The other reason I don't like single shots was this year the boys had a nice drake mallard flying in low, straight in on a rope, (think blue bill) and they both waited till the flaps where down and about 20 yards out. Both fired and both missed. Bird landed for a quick second, then slowly flew off to the left. IF either of them had dad's who gave them a second shell in the gun they would have had that mallard, but instead it got a good scare and flew off unscathed. (both received 2nd shells after that!!!)

Alot depends on how much the kid will be shooting, how big he or she is now, and how fast he/she will be growing out of the youth model.

My suggestion is to by a standard size 870 with a wood stock. Then cut 3-4 inches off the stock with a bandsaw (or chainsaw--whatever is handy) and put on a good recoil pad. Pachmeyer or something like that. Keep the piece you cut off and when the kid grows up you can reattach the end of the stock and now you have a full size 870 again.

Both my kids learned to shoot on a cut-down 870. Now my nephew has it and my niece will get it next. The stock has been cut off and reattached three times so far.

The youth models have a shorter barrel. You can put a standard stock on later, but then you have a short barrelled shotgun. The barrell on the 20ga is not that heavy. But very small kids may have trouble balancing it.

I believe kids learn to shoot better with a long barrel than a short one, unless they have to lean back considerably to balance the long barrel. Both my kids started shooting trap with the cut down 870, a wide stance, knees bent slightly and leaning forward. If they got comfortable with their stance, they didn't have to lean back to balance the gun.

Evan now shoots a 12 ga wingmaster and is a better shot than I am. (I realize that's not saying much. I still tend to lead ducks too much when they're swimming. Except for buffies. Buffies seem to swim just the right speed for me.)

Rick

Back