16 guage barrell

Kevin Weir

I have been searching for a replacement barrell for an older 16 guage Remington 1100 I have. A family inheritance with fixed modified choke, plain barrell, it served me real well this past season on decoying ducks, even with the light loads available. But then again, that may be why it was so much fun to shoot.
Anyway, I've looked at the remington site and they do not list any barrells for this gun. At least nothing other than rifled slug barrells.
Does anyone know of a used market source that may have a new one with screw in shokes and vent rib?

Thanks for any leads.

Kevin, Several years ago I thought I needed a new barrel for my 12GA LH 3" Mag 1100. All I did was google shotgun barrels and several site came up that deal in nothing but shotgun barrels. I paid $150 for a like new or new replacement. I think the outfit was in Arizona if I remember corectly. Remington only made my gun for one year I believe so I new I was up against it to find one. It was a chore and I wasn't aware of these forums. Keep looking its out there for you some where

Check out the 16 gauge society here is an ad I found on it:

I have a very very clean 16ga 870 with 2 vent rib barrel for sale. I put the gun around the early seventies for age. It comes wit a 28" vent rib modified choke and a 26" vent rib improved cylider choke barrel. The gun does not have the corn cob forearm. It does have a remington pad installed but it is un cut . I am located in Michigan and perfer a FTF but will ship at buyers expense. The price is 750.00 plus shipping. Please no low ball offers as I do not need to sell it. I am selling to fund another want. I will consider trades for a 1100 20ga. and or 410,9mm,20ga,and 223 ammo
I also have 1 16ga 1100 plain barrel available for 100.00
Thanks

you could also have choke tube added to your barrel from briley or Mike Orien who installs colonial choke tube at half the price of briley any how check out the www.16gasociety.com

Last edited:
Dennis and Rob make a good point. Unless you want to keep it original, have screw in chokes put in. That is a great gun you have there. I have an 870 full choke my Dad bought in the 50's. I don't hunt waterfowl with it but use it for upland birds once a year. It is in almost perfect condition.

That gun just feels GOOD to hold. They don't make em like that fine anymore. Good luck.

Rod

Oh ya, my best Pheasant gun is the 410 model 42 Winchester also from the 50's. It was my Grandpas.

Guys,
Thanks for all the input. One site listed many barrels with pricing ranging from $150 to probably more than what I could get for the gun. All only listed one choke, even if it had tubes. I had hoped to keep this one barrel original and so may get an extra plain barrel and have that one tubed. I read many great reports on gunsmith Mike Orlen so will have to give him a call.
Rod, I completely agree with you on how they feel. So much more comfortable than it's case mate, an 1187. Some of those guys on the 16 ga. society page kept talking about needing high end pellets to kill ducks with their 16g. They must not know how to judge range or maybe I just wait longer than most, but I don't remember any cripples from the 16. But I don't pass shoot at all with it, just legs down over the dekes at less than 30 yards.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Kevin,
The 16 is normally very well balanced and light enough to be enjoyed more than heavier guns. I like them too. Unfortunately it is not nearly as popular as the 12 or 20 guages and thus fewer parts and sizes of ammo are made for them. The manufacturers make what they can sell most of. If you are shooting the gun well as is, why would you want to change it up. Certainly a modified choke sounds a bit tight to me if the birds are decoying. Have you patterned your barrell with the load you are shooting ? You may find you don't want to change anything. I have used guns with and without a vent rib and to my way of thinking the rib is more important on a gun that sees a lot of hot and heavy action to disapate heat waves from the sighting plane like a trap or skeet gun.

In other words "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

JMO,
Harry

Harry,
Good question. Why change it up? I can't say that any answer I'd give would be 100% solid, other than I'd like more options for it than the modified choke offers. I do have a couple of spots that are quite close shooting and would like a more open pattern and also would like to tighten the pattern more for divers and geese. Having said that, I have not put a pattern on paper and may not as it maight really be disappointing. Plenty of birds fell to it this past season and more will this year. But as you've pointed out, the shell selections are limited and velocities are marginal to my way of thinking for anything other than closer shots, with steel anyway.
You can buy #2 shot but it may be a very thin pattern with any choke as the largest load i've found is 15/16 oz. at about 1300 fps. Reloading is probably on the horizon for heavier shot. But again, why?
Those tougher shots belong to the 12 guage.

Kevin,

I can't resist posting my two cents worth. First off I used to shoot a double 16 Stevens a lot. I opened the chokes from full and even more full from the old paper shell days to Mod & IC. I would strongly recommend against trying a tighter choke than your modified, with steel. Your older Mod choke is probably very close to today's full choke for steel. You've had good success with decoying ducks so I'd argue that a more open choke isn't necessary and will be a detriment when trying to knock down an escaping winged fowl. It's been many years since I shot any waterfowl gun with a more open choke than a modified. That said, if you want a more open choke, buy an inexpensive fixed IC or Skeet choke barrel. If all you can find is a mod or full simply have it opened up or better yet do it yourself. Way cheaper than tubes and for 7/8 & 15/16 oz loads, the two barrels are about as flexible as your ever going to need out of a 16 ga.

Bottom line, relax, enjoy the 16 w/mod barrel and keep an eye out for a good deal on another barrel to play with.

Best,
Scott

After reading the comments from everyone, it does seem that trying to get fancy with this old gun would be nothing more than just that, trying to get fancy, which it won't do. Another barrel sounds to be the way to go, with an open choke. Won't worry about any rib on it either.
Maybe all this in my head just is a symptom of the current trends we are all exposed to, meaning bigger is better and nothing else will work. My notes and observations from this past season prove however that it just isn't needed, at least how and where I hunt. But now, shooting sea ducks is nuther story. For that the 16 won't even be taken.

Kevin,
One more thought on choke change up. You might be able to find a Cutts Compensator or even a Poly Choke in 16 ga. I have an old Lyman adjustable choke on one of my old 870 barrells that works just fine with steel shot. I seldom shoot that gun anymore on account of developing short shuckitis but when I was using it many waterfowl, doves, quail and other game fell in front of it Including an eight and six point buck.

Don't know if you can find one in 16 ga. but it might be worth the trouble to try.

I've seen some adjustable chokes sitting around in the shops of several gunsmiths stuck on old bolt action shotguns etc. Bet you could get one of those installed on your gun if you can find a smith that has one.

The good thing is you don't have to do anything but shoot your gun as is.
Best,
Harry

Back