2008-2009 Traveling Decoy

Chuck J

Okay guys, here’s the scoop. I spoke with Dave, and we are going to get this going, but of course we need your participation. There are of course two ways to participate:

First, CARVERS, we need a decoy. We’ll put it to a vote like last year. If you have a decoy you are willing to donate, post up, preferably with a picture. Dave Sikorski has already graciously offered a Redhead, but in his own words he would rather see some other carvers get involved. I’ll offer a canvas Canada Goose, although I’m not sure how well a canvas bird will take the abuse of the extended migration. Post up what you have, if it is a work in progress, keep in mind I would like to see this migration underway by September 29th, so the first hunt can be started ideally on the 1st of October (give or take travel time). We will have a vote, September 24-27 to see which decoy will travel.

Second way to participate is to host, and hunt over the traveling decoy. Send an email to travelingdecoy@hotmail.com , Subject line: HOST, and include your name, address and dates you would like to host the traveler. I will schedule it, first come, first served. If you leave a broader range of dates, it will increase the flexibility to include as many participants as possible. If you have a special trip planned, make note of that, I’ll do my best to fit around that.

As of right now, we will plan on one decoy this year. If there is an overwhelming response of host hunters, we might add a second, but I will need to hear from perspective hunters (soon).

And of course after the season we’ll auction off the decoy to help with site funding.

Any questions, post, PM me or email to travelingdecoy@hotmail.com .

Thanks
Chuck

Last edited:
Paul, that's great, can't wait to see what you come up with.

Mike, no sweat, thanks for last years contribution.

My two cents here. Given last yeast SNAFU with the us mail, I would suggest that interest in participation be accompanied with the implicit understanding that the decoy should be shipped via three day or less methods, in order to keep this thing on schedule. My session with king was almost not and the gentleman before me had no time to hunt with it either as it took weeks to get where it was going. Shipping should also be done in the smallest possible box which will protect the bird. Sending king priority mail cost almost $50 but I felt it worth it to keep the schedule working. If this is too much money consider longer visitations but i believe there should be some guidelines, like; You get the bird for a weekend and it must be to the next gunner by the following thursday. Thus, take friday off, hunt fri/sat and mail the bird sat afternoon. Dont keep it if there is a huge front or freezup coming on monday, and dont ship it parcel post. If you decide you cant do without the decoy for monday's epic hunt, keep it but ship the thing overnight to keep the schedule.
Humbly

Aaron

Aaron

Thanks for the input. Dave and I discussed the scheduling/shipping issues some already. I am going to try to incorperate more buffer into the schedule this, although it may limit the number of host hunters, I would like to try and avoid the exact senerio that you incountered. I really don't want to force guys to spend an arm and a leg in shipping either. As the schedule comes together, I will continue to evaluate the logistics, looking at overall distance, remoteness from shipping hubs and border crossings.

I hope that last years unfortuate situation hasn't soured you. If you would be interested in getting in on this years decoy, shoot me an email, subject HOST to travelingdecoy@hotmail.com with your info and dates.

Thanks
Chuck

Guys,

At this time, I have a total of two hunters lined up to host our decoy. So, consult your calender, check with the wife, get time off from work, or dance around the stump and find out when the big migration is going to be and then shoot me an email, subject: HOST to travelingdecoy@hotmail.com I'll reply back and let you know I recieved your message, so if you sent a message and didn't get a reply, I didn't get your message.

This is open to any member of the DHBP, so if you are an occasional poster, this is a great opportunity to get involved. If you have a rig of plastic and have never hunted a fine hand made decoy, sign up (and hope my decoy doesn't get voted in), this is a great opportunity. If you are a regular around here, sign up! There is plenty of space at this time.

Carvers, it would be great to see some more birds offered into the mix for a vote.

Thanks
Chuck

Chuck, I will make a Blackduck decoy for you and the site. Just let me know when you are going to need it and where. Thanks Pete R.

Excellent Pete! We will have a vote, starting September 24 to see which decoy the members choose. If you could get a picture posted by then that would obviously help the decision making process. If you need help posting a picture, just email it to travelingdecoy@hotmail.com and I can post it for you. If you have a picture sooner than the 24th, feel free to post it (or email it). I can't wait to see it.

As far as shipping, whoever's decoy is chosen will send it to the first hunter on the schedule, which right now looks as though as thought the chosen traveler will be taking a pilgrimage from Maryland to Manatoba, assuming Dave can get his picture off the wall at the post office ;)

thanks a bunch,

Chuck

Bump...

I am getting a few interested hunters trickling in but there is still plenty of room left.

Chuck

I will donate one, but Jay Anglin has to buy it when it is auctioned off........ Options are mallard, redhead, GWT.

This is a great concept for a great site!

I'm in again, our season starts Saturday before Thanksgiving and ends last Sunday in January. Only a 5 day split in early December.

Sent an E-mail, let me know,

Hitch

Last edited:
I will donate one, but Jay Anglin has to buy it when it is auctioned off........ Options are mallard, redhead, GWT.

This is a great concept for a great site!

Awesome Ira! Any of those options are great by me, probably the mallard or teal, as Dave already has a redhead in the vote. Really though, take your pick. So your saying we can all run up the bids, and Jay will have to pay at least that much ;)

Hitch, great to have you on board, that guarantees lots of pictures posted.

I am working on a tentative schedule and will post that, hopefully later today.

Chuck

The line up is getting quite impressive

Carvers offering a bird for the vote:

CraigS (Golden Eye)
Ira McCauley (???)
Derek Z (frond, species?)
Pete Revicki (Blackduck)
Paul Rutgers (???)
Dave Sikorski (Redhead)
Chuck Jagger (Canada Goose)

Hunters:
Dave Sikorski - Manitoba Trip
Mark Schupp - Missouri - Filming for DU TV
Rocky S - Kansas
Kirk Sherbine w/ Bill Perry and John Taylor on an 'old timey hunt' on Barnegat Bay NJ
Jay Anglin - Indiana
John Ven Huizen (Capt John)- South Texas
Derek Z - California
Hitch - Florida
Receint adds:
Michigan Group: Potentially Dave Robinson, Paul Rutgers, Lee Harker, and up to three guys named Brian
Jeff Jacobs and HuntinDave McCann - Iowa
PG Ross at the Holden Creek Gun Club - Virginia

All host spots are filled
, I do not dare add any more to the schedule. I am finalizing dates and will be confirming them with the hunters and will post a full schedule at a later time. Any additional carvers are welcome to join as well. We will have a vote September 24-27 to see which decoy will take this long migration.

Last edited:
Ira you should put up one of those wonderful wigeon with the wood grain that shows. I remember handling it in Ohio, and I just love that decoy.

031608_7860.jpg

Hitch

Last edited:
Here is where we are at thus far. 11 stops, Oct 4 through Feb 1:

Oct 4-12: Dave Sikorski - Manitoba Trip
Oct 12-20: Michigan crew (still waiting to hear from you guys who and when)

Oct 23-30: Jeff Jacobs and HuntinDave McCann - Iowa
Nov 4-10: Jay Anglin - Indiana
Nov 13-19: Mark Schupp - Missouri: filming footage for DU TV
Nov 22 - Dec 1: Rocky Schroeder - Kansas
Dec 5-10: Kirk Sherbine w/ Bill Perry and John Taylor - Old timey hunt on Barnegat Bay NJ
Dec 14-21: PG Ross - Eastern Shore of Virginia
Dec 24 - Jan 4: John Hitchcock - Florida
Jan 9-16: John VenHuizen - Texas Gulf Coast
Jan 21 - Feb 1: Derek Zumwalt - California

Hunting participants, let me know if this schedule doesn't work for you.

Carvers, the vote will start one week from today (the 24th). I will need a picture of your entry by then. If you haven't finished, don't feel bad, just get it in gear.

Thanks,
Chuck

Just got a PM from Geoff Pike who wanted to add a decoy to the vote, so here is what we have so far:

Geoff Pike (Bufflehead)
CraigS (Golden Eye)
Ira McCauley (species?)
Derek Z (frond, species?)
Pete Revicki (Blackduck)
Paul Rutgers (species?)
Dave Sikorski (Redhead)
Chuck Jagger (Canada Goose)

I have yet to recieve any pictures, just email them to: travelingdecoy@hotmail.com I will need them by tuesday night, the vote starts Wednesday AM.

Thanks again to all the generous carvers.

Chuck

Last edited:
Well I tried.

I finished up the paint last night on the Buffie I promised and then sat back and looked
at it. I HATE IT!!!
Really I screwed up the bill so bad its not even funny. Looks more like a coot.
Maybe I've been carving too many eider lately.
Anyway instead of trying to get a photo to make this turkey look good I am
going to withdraw it.
What I will do is get one right and then donate it for auction to the page.

Sorry I just couldnt let something like this out of the house.

Back