A Story and A Snake

Congrats Dani! That is a good looking turkey...heck I even thought the corn(?) snake was nice.
Great to see dead turkeys already showing up on the board.

Tim
Tim, that turkey is sleeping!

Are you saying your daughter can't keep a turkey awake? It would be ashamed to think that a noble gobbler would make a young lady carry him if it weren't dead. No, it must have been the siren song that lead that bird to it's fate.

Tim

Great story and photo's! It neat that you did all the work yourself and managed to call in a bird and bag it with all the competition and shots going off around your. I'm plum proud of ya gal!

Dave

Nice work Dani,and great pictures.Congratulations on a fine bird.I don't hunt 'em but I eat 'em ;^)

You are one cool chick Dani! Way to stay in there and make it happen. I've noticed with turkeys in my 5 years of chasing them that when you are determined and don't quit good things tend to happen. That's a very nice bird...one of these days I'll deal with the snakes and drug runners(HA!)and get down there for one of those dark birds.

That snake has the checkered lips but I'm not sure what it is. I'm guessing it's a corn snake and it's a striking specimen. I'd have done the classic jump up on my tippy toes "ooohhh hooooo....aahhhhhhh!" snake dance. They freak me out. Good thing I live in the land of chisel plows and frigid temps.

I probably would have shot the snake..looks like a python to me...I'm skeered -o-snakes. Congrats on that longbeard there leetle gurl.

Congratulations!!!
Aint turkey hunting great? By far the most exciting hunting I have ever done. Duck hunting is great, but turkeys really get the heart pounding.

great story, v. nice bird -- congrats

do miss the panty beenie though -- lol

now try it with a bow!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Dani,

Nice bird yee got there! Congrats! I've been hunting turkeys on and off for 20 years. Ain't got one yet! I can smell smoked turkey from here.

Ed L.

[/QUOTE]
Tim, that turkey is sleeping! [/QUOTE]

Are you saying your daughter can't keep a turkey awake? It would be ashamed to think that a noble gobbler would make a young lady carry him if it weren't dead. No, it must have been the siren song that lead that bird to it's fate.

Tim
[/QUOTE]
Heck Tim, I am actually surprised that she was awake! Okay well maybe it was just Dead Asleep!
Diana

right on that yellow looks right purdy as a background ,i cant wait until i show mickey how good ya did..congrats Dani gurl...

Way to go Dani. I'm a little jealous as again this spring I probably won't be able to go after those birds. Always something coming up. What type of mount?

Kevin-

I just did the typical fan mount for him. He'd have been gorgeous as a full body mount, but lack of space and money would prevent that. If I knew what the heck I was doing, I might have tried the 'turkey cape' but I don't know on that one. He was a gorgeous bird though.

You are one cool chick Dani! Way to stay in there and make it happen. I've noticed with turkeys in my 5 years of chasing them that when you are determined and don't quit good things tend to happen. That's a very nice bird...one of these days I'll deal with the snakes and drug runners(HA!)and get down there for one of those dark birds.

That snake has the checkered lips but I'm not sure what it is. I'm guessing it's a corn snake and it's a striking specimen. I'd have done the classic jump up on my tippy toes "ooohhh hooooo....aahhhhhhh!" snake dance. They freak me out. Good thing I live in the land of chisel plows and frigid temps.

Awww y'all don't need to be skeered of that little ole snake! I stopped the truck to specifically get pictures cuz he was so purty. He eats rats...not humans, so he's good in my book. If he'd been a rattler or moccasin or something of that nature, I might have dispatched him, but of course since he's on public land and from time to time the wardens watch the internet I would never do that sort of thing on public land as that is willful and wanton waste. However....if I took it home and ate it, that would be a totally different story....either way...not quite legal in this state.

I've actually had more issues with the 'drug runners' than I have the snakes. But usually the druggies were offering me some of their dope to smoke with them. Right nice of them, to be all Christian like and share their dope. But I had to decline. Priorities man...priorities.

I think there is a law in Fla that you are not allowed to shoot birds that are bigger than you are. We were down past your place last week. Hauled a boat from Rockledge to Maryland.

Well then I'm ok! That bird weighed only a little less than I did...I don't know how tall he was, but he might've qualified for 'dwarf' status in the human height scale. There I go again...pickin' on the 'little people.'

Tim, that turkey is sleeping! [/QUOTE]

Tim
[/QUOTE]
Heck Tim, I am actually surprised that she was awake! Okay well maybe it was just Dead Asleep!
Diana[/QUOTE]

Tim-

my mother is under this delusional spell in thinking that the only think I do in my spare time is sleep! That just isn't true! If that were true then how could I possibly have gotten this bird to fall Dead Asleep?? I'm not nearly as persuasive as she is with words...I've yet to learn the art of "talkin' em into giving up." Or "talkin' em until they pray for mercy and when mercy isn't given, they surrender." Sometimes a more direct approach is the better choice

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong...I like snakes. I think they're nifty but they still scare the shit out of me when I come across them. I just think I'd be less inclined to crawl around in the woods looking for mushrooms and moving on turkeys if we had them like you do down there.

By the way, the next time you get a trophy tom with a nice fan that cape job is pretty easy.

Tim, that turkey is sleeping!

Tim [/QUOTE]
Diana [/QUOTE]

Tim-

my mother is under this delusional spell in thinking that the only think I do in my spare time is sleep! That just isn't true! If that were true then how could I possibly have gotten this bird to fall Dead Asleep?? I'm not nearly as persuasive as she is with words...I've yet to learn the art of "talkin' em into giving up." Or "talkin' em until they pray for mercy and when mercy isn't given, they surrender." Sometimes a more direct approach is the better choice
[/QUOTE]
Okay daughter mine,
Yes my homework is done! so I came back to play. Now let's cut to the chase here as I can only see out of one eye and I am cranky and in need of chocolate. Sleeping is an art for you so spare time has nothing to do with it, actually I would say more an avocation. :) Talking someone or something to death is not always a bad thing. No bruises, no marks no evidence. Now let's not forget your beauty.....he could have taken one look at you and keelt over ded asleep! saying be still my heart on the way down. Then again given the way you sleep he could have fallen dead asleep by osmosis. But since he was beating the tar out of your decoy he likely was exhausted so fell dead asleep. Given the fact that you didn't even see him and he was five feet away from you, to hear you tell, then you probably were asleep. ( yes, most amused) any closer and you could have plumped up his belly and made a pillow out of him.....but I kinda like the sleeping in a bed of gravy idea myself! HEY I JUST GOT IT! The reason you head shoot turkeys is so that you don't blow the stuffing out of him! I tell you I just crack me up sometimes! (gufaw).......

okay time for me to go to sleep now! :)}

Back