Almost died today

Dean A

I just repower my 14' TDB and wanted to try it out. Just after I got it on plane the tiller extension came loose so I powered down. As I stepped towards the back of the boat I hit a log throwing me face first into the motor, I grabbed at something to stop myself and hit the throttle throwing me out of the boat. I wasn't wearing my PDF ( I have no idea why, usally do) So The boat is spinning in circles a hundred yards away and I'm 300 yards from shore and I'm almost numb in less than a minute. I take off my waders to use as a float,this saved my life. Ten minutes in the water and I can hardly move and my teeth are chatting so bad I couldn't keep the water out of my mouth. Twenty minutes in I'm having trouble keeping my head above the water. I summon all of my strength and force my legs to kick the last 100 yards. Total time in the water 30-40 minutes. I'm unable to stand so I crawl to the bank and manage to stand and walk the half mile back to my truck bare foot and freezing. Ten minutes back to the house and in the shower, my body temp 95.8. Feeling better now my feet are bruised and cut up. My brother went and got the boat it had hit a sandy spot along shore. I'm luckly to be alive. I still can't figure out why I never put my PDF on as thats usually the first thing I do.
Dean

sounds like a very close call another good idea besides the pfd is never being out there alone. glad you seem to be ok, you are fortunate the boat didnt come back and run you over as well

You are very lucky to be alive! A similiar incident in my TDB14 classic lead me to add remote controls and steering to mine. I was fortunate. I never hit the water but landed on the motor and was able to climb back in.

God bless!

Gene

wow I've been in the cold water by accident before but never that long fortunately, your very lucky, glad to read this post rather than a news article. count your blessings and be carful !

Hi Dean - Very glad to hear you made it and that sounds like it was very close. Couple suggestions based upon things I now do after a scare in a BBSB.

Use the Kill switch if you have one and if not .......get one.

Through bolt the tiller extension connections if possible.

Add a wrist strap to the tiller handle.

Use a line connected forward as a handhold.

Thanks very much for posting this..........I just switched back to a 14 TDB after using a 12 BBSB for many years...........it feels so safe compared to the BBSB, that I have not been as careful with the above suggestions as I otherwise would in the BBSB.

Thanks for reminding all of us, that when things go south, there is no time.

sarge

It should be a law that any time a boat is under power that the driver has a kill switch tether on his or her wrist. I read two or three years ago on Jerseyquackers forum about an gent being 400 or so yds from shore and guess what......His tiller extension came off, turning the boat full turn luckily throwing him to the bottom of the boat. Could have been in the drink. Let's think out there people...Number one, Use ALL the safety equipment at your disposal before heading under way. PFD's, Communication (Radio/Cell), Fire extinguisher, Kill switch/tether, spare clothing in a dry bag, road flare to signal and or use to start a fire on shore, signal flare for distress, and anything else one might believe could help in an emergency.

Most of all...Glad you are OK and the Good Lord was helping you get to safety!

Thanks for sharing your story so hopefully we all take a step back and a safety time out to assess the situation before adding to the wrong statistics.

Last edited:
Gene anyway to get a picture or info on adding remote steering. I will be using the kill switch from now on. Thanks everyone for there kinds words.

Dean,

Here is an older picture. I've since replaced the stick steering with a normal helm mounted at the same location on the front deck. I can run it with the blind up as well.

[inline resizedTDB.jpg]

Search my old posts and you should find some other pictures and info.
Gene

View attachment resizedTDB.JPG

Man, that scared the crap out of me just reading that! You are blessed to have made it through that! Someone's still got a plan for you here on this earth!!!

Glad to hear you are okay Dean!.....having been thrown from a boat and still bearing the scars from surgery to repair a knee i know first hand the reality of knowing how lucky you are to be here with us.....

Count your blessings and remember the pfd and kill switch tether!

What a story to tell your grand kids about. You are most fortunate to be able to sit down and write about this, Dean. Glad you had your wits about you when you used your waders as floats. Thank goodness all is well now.
Al

Great thinking in a time of high pressure on your part. The rest was determination, luck and Divine Intervention.

Last edited:
That is some story Dean. I'm glad you are ok and I thank you for sharing this and reminding all of us just what can happen. Every bad duck hunting story shares a common thread- a cascading chain of events that takes something from bad to really bad to worse. A few years ago down in South Jersey where I hunt three guys went snow goose hunting on the coldest day of the year and never returned. They found two of them about 200 yards from the ramp and they never found the third one, but the boat had capsized for some reason and then who knows what else. That is some scary stuff and it will make me review my safety precautions and habits.

Back