Alumacraft ducker

D. Hinton

Guys who on here has one?
Other than nostalgia is it worth trying to track one down to hunt out of when I have an Aquapod?
The idea of aluminum under my butt vs fiberglass , plus nostalgia is a little cool .
Are they as cumbersome to paddle as they look.

Going to take a different approach to this upcoming season this year

I had one. Thought it would be cool to hunt out of for the same reason you are considering tracking one down. I found a pretty beat up one for next to nothing and restored it as best I could. Took it out to hunt out of it and yeah, it was fun to think of the history behind the boat I was hunting out of (was told this boat belonged to the founder of DU). That was about as fun as it got for me.

It is very hard to paddle. If you want to use a kayak paddle it takes a long one to do so. It was noisy. Everything I did in that boat made noise. And, I hunt in MN and WI and it was very cold to hunt out of.

For me, I enjoyed the restoration and the history but that was it. I prefer functional to history so I sold it and didn't look back.

I have a Hoefgen Duck Boat and a Poke Boat to hunt those smaller bodies of water and they are much more functional.

One guys opinion.

Mark

I don't own one, but a hunting buddy does (or did--we last hunted together several years ago). On the plus side, it's low profile, easy to camouflage and cover, and reasonably comfortable for one and large enough (but cramped) for two to hunt out of, and very stable.

On the negative, it's hard to paddle, awkward to row, slow with a motor, and being aluminum, cold and noisy.

It's a good boat to stash some place you hunt often and need an in-water platform to use as a floating blind within a short distance of your launch point. Well suited for pocket marshes, small ponds, flatwater sections of rivers and streams. The holes in the deck for poles to drive into the mud to hold the boat in place for hunting are a neat idea and very effective on muddy bottom. Not much used on rocky bottom though, or even hard sand.

It's not a good boat to travel any distance, hunt more than one with a dog or two without, or paddle, row, or motor against current, tide, or real wind.

Edited to add that it's a PITA to car top.

Last edited:
i had one and like others said ,it was historical and that part was fun but it did not fit the times. I was hunting at a club and the owner was afraid someone would steal it and he asked me not to bring it back. you should try it for yourself and if you dont like it you wont lose money on it.

I had one Dax. There was the nostalgic factor but that was it. That said, if I could find another at a great price, would probably pick it up. But I found it heavy for one person and did not paddle well either. I prefer my Maxi Poke Boat for that style of hunting.

My Ducker is serial #0002, 1954. I traded a 12 foot John boat for it. Someone had covered it with fiberglass to control leaks. I striped the glass off, fixed the rivets and sealed all leaks. I hunt out of it 4-5 times per year. I get a kick out of it every time I use it.
Dude and the Ducker.jpgChristmas Dogs (4) (1) (1).jpg

don't have one (on the marsh I hunt - a jon boat with a mud motor and a blind rig is the time tested solution) but thought I'd share an interesting picture of one

Rodney Smith was a photographer with a sense of humor - he was known for putting well dressed subjects in unusual situations

rodney-smith-photography19-550x544.jpg

I have owned 5 or 6 of them over the years. They are a cool looking boat. like previously stated; paddling doesn't work well. I found that push poling was the best mode of propulsion. I didn't like using them as much as my other pumpkin seed (it's set up for a 3 hp weedless OB) and it always seemed that someone else wanted to own them more than I did. would I buy another one; probably not because it would just set in the barn collecting dust; just like my Grumman sport boat does.

the small boats set up with a small mud motor have made the "old time" boats almost obsolete in regards to ease of use.

Derek Thompson said:
would I buy another one; probably not because it would just set in the barn collecting dust; just like my Grumman sport boat does.

So, about that Grumman Sport Boat . . . . Unlike the Ducker, the Sport Boat is an extremely useful and versatile boat for the way I hunt and fish. I think you are too far away, but I'd be interested if you are not.

Jeff, I appreciate the thought about the sport boat. it was my fathers. it has been in the family for close to 60 years. even though I haven't used it in a couple of decades; I just can't bring myself to part with it. besides that, I am in Iowa; which is a looong ways from Maine.

Back