Another of my redneck pursuits. NDR

Chris Toy

Took the kids out for the trout opener Saturday.

My boy and my nephew

P041412_1220.jpg

Dad and a couple of the kids

P041412_103901.jpg

Baggin up their catch

P041412_103801.jpg

P041412_1038.jpg

Dad and nephew

P041412_103701.jpg

Didn't get a picture of my chew can, but figured I'd at least show some beer cans for JL.

P041412_1017.jpg

P041412_073601.jpg

P041412_0735.jpg

Looks like the family had a great outing, Chris. I sure enjoyed that first shot because all looked so peaceful and back in some unknown stream where you had this secret hole for trout. Well then I saw the next few shots.
Al

The two biggest days in a PA sportsman's year is opening day of trout and opening day of deer, after opening day the crowd thins dramatically. I remember several trout opening days on French Creek that were shoulder to shoulder, but I still thank my dad for taking me.

That is funny. I agree with Al I saw the first and thought wow that entire stream to themselves. Then I saw all the campers lined up. Looks like there are plenty of fish to go around though. Are they stocked or natural?

Ill have to post pics of our redneck adventures this spring as well. Up here we call them Yooper adventures though!

PA stocks trout heavily, I have helped out through the years emptying buckets into streams. My father still loves trout fishing and his passion is pursuing native brook trout, but you really have to sweat to find them. Some of the prettiest areas of PA are trout streams in Potter County and along the northern tier.

The joke for some of us is that the first day of deer season is a statewide holiday because most of the schools are closed that day. (Monday after Thanksgiving)

Absolutely! Spent my teenage years fly fishing in Potter County. Opening day at the camp with 20 guys in one cabin, snoring, drinking, cards and no sleep. You can't duplicate the feelings of those times.

Definately not a secluded area, but we had plenty of room for all the kids to spread out and fish. They all had a blast.

Fish are stocked, couple native streams in the area but it is hard to catch anything over 4 or 5 inches long.

We are lowly bait fishermen Chuck, didn't get to take our new 6'6 St. Croix fly rods out. Oh well, hard to find a classical music station on the radio in that neck of the woods anyhow.

Last edited:
That's my favorite picture of the bunch.

Looks like the family had a great outing, Chris. I sure enjoyed that first shot because all looked so peaceful and back in some unknown stream where you had this secret hole for trout. Well then I saw the next few shots.
Al

Brings back memories of my youth in NE PA. Opening day was always fun, sort of a party/circus atomsphere. And the trout we almost always eager to participate.

Definately not a secluded area, but we had plenty of room for all the kids to spread out and fish. They all had a blast.

Fish are stocked, couple native streams in the area but it is hard to catch anything over 4 or 5 inches long.

We are lowly bait fishermen Chuck, didn't get to take our new 6'6 St. Croix fly rods out. Oh well, hard to find a classical music station on the radio in that neck of the woods anyhow.

Do I hear dualing banjos?

I got lucky once and found a great stream out near Woolrich that was loaded with native brookies.
It was back in 1987 or 88, my older sister was working for Woolrich Corp and I went to visit her during early summer.
Went to one of the good size rivers and it was way up from recent rain. So I started looking for feeder streams. Followed a county road that led up a small valley. Found spot to park and walked down to a stream that was about 5-10' wide. Slipped around casting worms into the riffles and pool behind rocks.
Caught a bunch of 5-8" brookies and one hook-jawed male about 12". Let them all go, just kept the memories.
Couldnt find that creek again if I had to, would really like to know where I was!

We fished a native stream near Brookville 4 or 5 yrs ago on the first day. Caught a ton (30+) of trout but all just little. I may head up there in a few weeks and try it again.

Chris you slack jawed redneck you should not be teaching kids to fish. That just ruins them for life, now they will want to fish all the time. Jealous, very jealous looks like a heck of a good time.

Uh...no, that's here in the South....

I swear there's a county down here in Arkansas that stops you at the county line, and if you don't have a banjo, they give you a loaner until you leave....

And I've been a place or two in Kentucky that I was "terrible afeared". I was trying to do some work in a small town where the County Clerk was in jail on murder charges, accused of killing a woman that was a former employee and had filed a sexual harassment suit against him. He tried to blame his son, and then the son brought in the murder weapon...Dad's deer rifle.

They were letting the guy out during the day to perform his duties as County Clerk, and he was running a reelection campaign...

That's definitely cool, but redneck? No. I just bought a bow fishing rig for shot'n carp and alligator gar. Bait fish'n is pretty high browed. What a great way to spend a weekend with your kids.

Mike

Chris, Great pics of the kids fishing. By the way, they seem to have developed a lovely patina since I saw them last. Have you had them basking under a 'special bulb'? If so, please remember that there are hazards associated with overexposure. Among them a tendency to become insufferably pompous, pretentious and self-important. And I hear the the damage may be irreversible.

Take care,

fellow flannel wearer, John Linn.

Back