August - What's new on your workbench?

Jode, Kudos to you for passing on such a fabulous piece of americana..!!!! I wish you weren't so far away. I"ll see you at Tuckerton my friend.

It's his shop bench. He added a block to help hold the decoy body and it seems tovwork good. He is a member he so perhaps he will comment.

Brad, it is a trimmers bench I made in apprenticeship school. It does not break down. It's made to stand on to trim out doors, can carry nails, shims, etc on the bottom tray, and has a notch cut out of the top to hold a door on edge to work on it. I added the block over the door notch for carving. It's a little short for what I'm using it for and plan to make a larger one someday. Here's a pic.

Thanks Tom. Trying to decide on some type of work bench....work horse...etc and just looking at all angles.

Thanks again for the pic and explanation.

Brad F

Haven't done mallards in a long time. These are solid balsa with pine heads, fully stamped and sleepers no less.

View attachment PICT0038.JPG
View attachment PICT0039.JPG
View attachment PICT0040.JPG

Also, did another Ducharme style canvasback for a friend. This one is directly patterned from my Ducharme can and, I was able to acquire some keels from the Gaylord Rig from the 1950's that were destined for Ducharme decoys but, never made it. The story on these keels is, in the late 1940's, Robert Gaylord ordered some decoys from Charles Perdew. Not liking how the V-bottoms pitched and rolled in the water, he took the keels off to have them re-worked. The lead on these keels is from melted Charlie Perdew weights and the metal keels themselves were made in the Ingersoll Machine Factory in Rockford, Illinois owned by the Gaylords.

Decoy head is white pine with a white cedar body...

View attachment PICT0041.JPG
View attachment PICT0043.JPG

Last edited:
Great stuff everyone. Its that time of the year when I start really working to finish it all up. Unfortunatly just about everything I am working on is going to someone here on the forum. Decoys will be migrating all over the country from the UP soon. I don't want to spoil the surprises so I will keep the pictures until after they have arrived.

Bill, The can looks real nice and anybody would be proud to float that in a rig. Now about 11 more will do it.

Bill~

Great Long-bill!

The paint is great - love the way you did the tertials and the primaries.

All the best,

SJS

Back