August workbench...

Got some Spalted Sweet Berry last month and I am starting to get some more time in the shop. These have been acrylic stabilized.

call609_zpsf570f8d6.jpg
[/URL]

call611_zpsf80b8412.jpg
[/URL]

call612_zpsaf3f3eb2.jpg
[/URL]

Also some nice Spalted Pecan

[/URL]

Heres a 16 bird teal rig I started this week. Maine white cedar. Its such nice stuff to carve. Its been drying in the attic for four years. They are kind of a St. Clair flats body shape but solid body construction. Gave them a once over with the feather stamper.(another Michigan bit of style). The bluewings are starting to show up on the river and these should be ready to go come teal season. Bob

Pat, Very impressed with the continued output of the one man "Pat Gregory Decoy Factory" . Regarding your last pic - Are those Schmiedlin decoys on the two shelves just below your award ribbons ?

Ken

Thank you for the kind words Ken. Yes, those are Jim's birds... I hunted the ruddy ducks last season. They look amazing real on the water...

Good catch... Pat

Pat, great looking bunch of divers. I know you'll get some good shooting over them.

Bob, those calls are cool. Love the figure.

Last edited:
base coat of oil on this set of five. hope to have the second set of five carved and hollowed before these are done
F7BFCC60_zps89b881b3.jpg
[/URL]

Tom...the drakes look real good...but get some hens in there man...I know you can do it. You have style...create your hen style :)

thanks Pat and Roy. Hens will be coming when I get down the drakes the exact way I want them on the carving. Still learning.

Finally finished the 43" Northern Pike 1/2 carving I have had on the bench since before there was a bench I think.

pike_zps30486de4.jpg

The gentleman who was the recipient of that pike.

IMG_20130820_172605_234-1_zps093ead3a.jpg

A Yellow Perch watercolor I recently finished.

IMG_20130808_162217_112_zps82fb8b20.jpg

Something slightly duck hunting related even though it was never really on a workbench.
A small pigeon coop I built in the last couple weeks. I want to have a few pigeons on hand when I get a pup next spring. I know I'll probably have to build a larger true loft next year but for over the winter it will hold 2 or 3 pairs to be ready for spring. Now I just need to find some pigeons I like.

pigeoncoop_zps15bc2607.jpg

Tim

Pat I am digging those stamps and underwash of the antique selant.

still at the mallets getting down to the head and whites.
39F746B7_zps0d153b22.jpg
[/URL]

I really like the pike and perch, but have looked at that pigeon loft with envy! What a beautiful job you did on it, Tim. It sure looks like it will be a home for some rollers.

Come on down. Just hop on I-29 to KC then I-35 to Wichita. Take Hwy 54 to Tucumcari,NM, then jump on I-40 to Albuquerque. From there you only have 85 miles to go. Jump on I-25 and drive south to Socorro.
You can have at least 10 pairs of Pensom rollers to get you started! I'll let you take your pick.
Al

Al, nothing against your rollers but if I went that far I know there is someone near there with some Catalonia tumblers that I desire. :) I'd rather worry about playing with the pups instead of pigeons if I made it there.
It is a stoutly built little loft. I found good plans on another forum or it wouldn't have nearly so nice. I may end up with rollers in it instead of homers right now. Then I'll have to build something bigger next spring. Should be good for 2 or 3 pairs of breeding homers or about 10 rollers.

Tim

Last edited:
Al, nothing against your rollers but if I went that far I know there is someone near there with some Catalonia tumblers that I desire. :) I'd rather worry about playing with the pups instead of pigeons if I made it there.
It is a stoutly built little loft. I found good plans on another forum or it wouldn't have nearly so nice. I may end up with rollers in it instead of homers right now. Then I'll have to build something bigger next spring. Should be good for 2 or 3 pairs of breeding homers or about 10 rollers.

Tim

Just west of us in Magdalena, Steven Bodio raises Catalonians. Then to the north of Magdalena, at the Navajo reservation, is a guy by the name of Rudy Ortiz and he had a garage full of them. I saw colors that would knock your socks off. You would swear that the monks in Spain were still messing with the genetics of this beautiful breed of pigeon.
Al

That pike is absolutely beautiful!
If I ever want a fish "mount", I may give you call!

Back