Before I run out and find...

MLBob Furia

...the most obnoxious card I can to send to Lee, here are pics of that palm frond pintail hen now that its off the painting table:

View attachment pinthenfrond 027 (600 x 399).jpg

View attachment pinthenfrond 021 (600 x 399).jpg

View attachment pinthenfrond 024 (600 x 399).jpg

And the pair:

View attachment pinthenfrond 031 (600 x 399).jpg

While the colors were on the pallete, I started to touch up the scuffs that have accumulated on some of my pintail hen corks over the years. A big patch on the side of the head of the one in the foreground was scraped down to the bare wood (I think I ran over it with he boat while picking up). Think this is the off season I will also find the time to do complete repaints on a group of mallard hens that have put in a good 10+ years of service.

View attachment repaints 001 (600 x 382).jpg

View attachment pinthenfrond 027 (600 x 399).jpg
View attachment pinthenfrond 021 (600 x 399).jpg
View attachment pinthenfrond 024 (600 x 399).jpg
View attachment pinthenfrond 031 (600 x 399).jpg
View attachment repaints 001 (600 x 382).jpg

Last edited:
...the most obnoxious card I can to send to Lee, here are pics of that palm frond pintail hen now that its off the painting table:

And the pair:

Why don't you just scribble a note on that pintail and send that.

T

and humbling.....

I was going to say "inspiring" but your level of talent is so far out of my reach that I'm tempted never to carve again out of respect for not violating the carving medium.....

Question on the sign, WHICH IS REALLY NEAT.....have you ever done anything with Turkeys?

Steve

Sweet Bob...reminds me of this photo from a few weeks ago. Still got the pair together ay?

012109-237.jpg

Hitch

And I really like that sign. A LOT.

I'm sure this has probably been asked but bear with me, do you air brush your birds when you paint?

Dani

I'm sure this has probably been asked but bear with me, do you air brush your birds when you paint?

Dani

Dani, I regular brush, airbrush (Paasche AB turbo), and - believe it or not - spatter with a toothbrush. There's a whole bunch of stuff that works for me, so I use it all.

Sorry I couldn't help myself...thought it was time to liven up and inspire some witty repartee

Question on the sign, WHICH IS REALLY NEAT.....have you ever done anything with Turkeys?

Steve

Spend most of your life figuring out ducks..... and there's always some guy who wants a TURKEY!

You're post did send me down into the shop where up in a corner, covered by boxes and cobwebs is this sign (must be close to 25 years old). Maybe if I ever get that painting shack finished, it can hang somewhere visible. On second thought, I have so much crap to hang on the walls of that shed there might not be room. How about a trumpeter swan?:

View attachment sign 002 (600 x 399).jpg

View attachment sign 003 (600 x 399).jpg

View attachment sign 004 (600 x 399).jpg

Rongers has a real nice sign with a Can head on it, but I never took a picture of it (at least not one I can find)

View attachment sign 002 (600 x 399).jpg
View attachment sign 003 (600 x 399).jpg
View attachment sign 004 (600 x 399).jpg

MLBob,

That last pair of hen decoys is awesome! The way things tend to get beat up in a duck boat I'm not sure I could bring myself to take them out on a hunt!

Chris

Thank you, Chris.

You're right. There's no way around the inevitable dings and stray pellets. I hear that a lot, but my reply is: "Hey, I know the guy who makes 'em."

I think with anything that takes some crafting and/or know how, adding function to form and seeing that work is something that raises it to another level - be it a David Clark boat, a Lab who can get it done in the field, or a gunning decoy, form follows function. Now, if & when form starts to catch up with function ( but always working together with it; never surpassing it), then you have something real good happening.

View attachment 1909Dan 016 (600 x 399).jpg

View attachment 1909Dan 032 (600 x 399).jpg

View attachment 1909Dan 016 (600 x 399).jpg
View attachment 1909Dan 032 (600 x 399).jpg

Last edited:
That pic of the sign doesn't do it justice. Couldn't believe it when Bob gave it to me. Bob, that new hen frond pinnie is my favorite frond so far. We need yo have a MLB shoot at Long point next season and see if she will bring in some boyfriends.

Back