Bird's Eye View

Craig F

Been off since before Christmas and running around picking away here and there with this mild weather we're having. On a mild slow day recently I decided to put the drone up and check the rig out from the bird's perspective.

DJI_0144.jpg

Screenshot2016-12-26-17h53m24s182.jpg

Screenshot2016-12-26-17h54m58s95.jpg

Screenshot2016-12-26-17h54m23s11.jpg

This black duck and a few gadwall didn't seem to mind.

IMG_7490.jpg

Very nice! Boat is very hard to find! That also shows why I like the none occupied "dark" holes covered when not in use.

The real question is: when you pointed at the drone... did you hit it?

funny.... only 13 decoys?

A lot of jersey puddle duck hunters would tell you that's about 8 too many.

That boat blends incredibly well. That's a very practical application to technology to see what they see

Those are great pics and really give a lot to think about.

Love the black duck - beautiful bird.

Great perspective shots. Your boat hides well.

How did you get it to hover and film you? Is that similar to the "home" feature?

Craig, What a great perspective, i have often wondered what a bird sees from the air. The pictures beg question, how far from the boat were your farthest decoys? The aerial view shows two different size decoys i would think that alone would peak the curiosity of interested birds.
On your boatblind the dreaded "black hole" blends well with it's surroundings. Thanks for the ride along.

Craig

Wonderful pictures. Very telling. Any way you could video a pass around 45 mph? I figure still shots make it easier for us to pick out hunters than when a duck flies past. That being the case I don't think they will spot your boat very easily.

Eric

Thanks guys, been gunning all day so I just got a chance to sit down at the computer...

The drone will hover and hold a gps position and compensate for wind drift, etc. so it's rather easy to get it to sit where you want. I'd say it was at about 20 yards or so when I was pointing at it. I also use a third party autopilot app to track me while I'm running the boat so I can get smooth running footage while solo.

That was one of my 'south jersey' rigs which are heavy on black ducks. As Will said it's probably even a little big. I was gunning over 8 decoys tonight. The rig in that shot is made up of Mike Braun LZ black ducks and some custom cork gadwall a friend of my father's carved. There have been a lot of gadwall around lately in a lot of areas so I've been running them pretty consistently. It really surprised me to see how bright they look from the air.

For example, these are some of the decoys in the shot:

IMG_7497.jpg

Dave I've been off since December 22nd and I'm almost tired of gunning every day... almost. Would be better if we had a little weather out east here but that might happen end of next week.

Craig , Great Shots from above you cant almost spot your boat Nice COVER , thanks for sharing the Photos ,
PS .Pete been waiting to hear from you to hook up, says he has LEFT YOU SOME MESSAGES. tHANKS FOR SHARING. pAUL

Back