Blessing of the Fleet...

Pat Gregory

One of the long standing traditions we had on the Mighty Layout Boys Site was Pastor Larry Eckart would always share a prayer called the Blessing of the Fleet to begin our season. This prayer was a prayer of safety, appreciation and reverence for being out on the water or in the field. In what we do, safety cannot be overstated...

I'll offer this prayer to those who want to use it on their opener...

Dear Lord...
We appreciate the opportunities You give us out in the marsh, on the broadwater or, out in the field this season.
Each opportunity is truly a blessing from You.
We are thankful for each sunrise and those we get to hunt with.
We ask safety over each and every hunt this season.
We pray over our vessels that they may stay floatworthy and, keep us safe.
May we be good sportsmen and good stewards over the blessings you've bestowed on us.
And, may we be thankful even for the days where the results are slim.
Help us to be mindful of other hunters and their safety.
We ask blessings and protection over us, our equipment and our retrievers.
And most of all Lord, we pray that Your Will be done and your Name be glorified.
In Jesus name we pray... Amen.

Last edited:
How Neat....when I read your post on the first layout boat hunt and saw the names I thought...."same Preacher that used to do The Blessing Of The Fleet" back when?...
And here, a day later, we have not only the answer but a re-kindling of an old tradition......brings back good memories for sure....
Thanks and AMEN.....

Steve

Thanks for sharing this post, Pat. I will carry this prayer into the field with me.

Take care brother. May the Lord richly bless you with continued experiences with friends, family and His glorious creation.

Chad A

Pat,
I looked forward to that every year. I hope Mark Rongers is doing well. Thank you for the post. And thank you to the good Reverend.
Rod V

Still have a copy of one of Larry's original blessings in my document file, and print it out to take with me every November when the "real" season opens here, and I hit the River for the first time. Reminds me I need to contact him and see how he's doing these days.

Matter of fact, I see where I have several versions saved. Here is my favorite:

A Blessing of the Fleet For the 2005 Hunting Season

Author’s suggestion: each hunter can use this “service” to request God’s blessing on his/her fleet of boats. Go through this slowly, giving each part time to sink in. Let it be like a private prayer service for you. Especially on the “we remember” part, give yourself some time to reflect. An alternative idea would be to print this and take it out in the boat on one of your first hunts. Don’t blame me for missing birds though!

Larry

Introductory Thought:
We are gathered to ask safe passage for our fleet of boats. Some will ply unnamed and unknown waters. Others will ply the great waters of our sport: The Chesapeake, Barnegat Bay, Currituck Sound, Stuttgart, The St. Clair Flats, Sandusky Bay, Horicon Marsh, The Mississippi, The Delta Marsh, The Prairie Pothole region, the great marshes of Utah and California, the estuaries of the Pacific Northwest. Great water or unnamed pothole, all deliver the potential for great joy and great danger. We will ask Almighty God to give us wisdom as captains to properly judge the natural elements, as well as our craft, so that we and our companions return safely to our families.

Invocation:
In the name of God the Father, who created the waters and the birds we seek. In the name of God the Son, who redeemed the people who ply the waters and seek the birds. In the name of God the Holy Spirit, who fills and inspires all things with the awesome presence of the Almighty. Amen.

Scripture: Psalm 93:1,3,4
“The Lord reigns, he is robed in majesty. The Lord is robed in majesty and is armed with strength… The seas have lifted up; the seas have lifted up their voice; the seas have lifted up their pounding waves. Mightier than the thunder of the great waters, mightier than the breakers of the sea, the Lord on high is mighty.” (NIV)

Scripture: Psalm 107: 23-31
“They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; these see the works of the Lord and his wonders in the deep. For He commandeth and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof; they mount up to heaven; they go down again to the depths, their soul is melted because of trouble. They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man and are at their wits end. They then cry unto the Lord in their trouble and he bringeth them out of distresses. He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still. Then they are glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven. Oh that men would praise the Lord for his goodness and for his wonderful works to the children of men!” (KJV)

A Time of Silence to Remember Those Gone Before Us

We remember those who mentored us, now gone to glory…
We remember those who died while hunting…
We remember the great storms we have known (e.g. Armistice Day, 1940, November 10, 11 1998)…

The Blessing of the Fleet

Let Us Pray… Heavenly Father, thank you for this heritage: the waters I know and love, the sky at sunrise and sunset, the mystery of the weather, the incredible beauty of each bird I seek.

Thank you for the boat(s) that I am privileged to own. Thank you for the job which allows me to provide for my family and my pursuit of waterfowl. In the mixture of weather, boats, and birds, there is for me, both keen excitement and the chemistry for grave danger. The very conditions that will make the best hunt, wind and cold and snow and water, could be the carriers of my death. And so I ask You to bless this boat (these boats) with safe passage upon the waters I will hunt. Bless this captain with wise decisions so that neither I or nor my companions fall into jeopardy. And in the day of trouble, when danger threatens, bring us safely home to harbor. I am a steward of all the resources around me, including my own life, and I thank You for them. In Thy name I pray. Amen.

We Speak the Lord’s Prayer

Closing:
May the blessing of God follow us all and give us a bountiful and safe season. Amen!
Peace guys, safe boating and safe hunting!

Rev. Larry Eckart,
MLB Chaplain

Back