Bluebill Mallard

Hybrid, no female, no cross dresser. I think it is clear there is something messed up with that duck.

All other aspects of the duck were pure mallard. Cleaned him and he appeared healthy. Might have expected parasites but none were found.
I have cleaned a few this year with "rice breast" but not this one.

I think someone a generation or so back was fooling around with a pintail or widgeon.

Did the duck dive on you and hold its breath for a really long time?

Weird duck

Mark W

the bill looks to be a different shape. shorter and fatter than the normal one next to it. (may just be angle of the photo) I'm guessing some mixed DNA

That is a dandy, Robert. I have often wondered if Fish and Game has taken DNA samples from birds just to see how many different species have been found within one bird?
Al

It had one headlight on the right, two headlights on the left.
when I pulled out the switch, all three came on.

I love that song

Last edited:
Hey Greg,
Here is the boy named Sue! When I shot this He/She duck, I had my good friend, Tim Mitchusson, who was the state's waterfowl biologist at the time, find her ovaries. This is a classic case of senescence or the act of getting older. She had to really be old. The last thing I did was ship her to South Dakota to Bobby Cox who at that time was a Federal waterfowl biologist. He and his mentor at LSU, Dr. Al Afton just happened to be studying this phenomenon and were writing a paper on this condition.
Al

HeSheMallardDrakeorMaybeHen.jpg
[/URL]

He-Shebody.jpg
[/URL]

He-SheVeryConfusing.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
Back