Bluebill vs Mallard (boats)

David Lewis

I would like to build a boat, really would appreciate some input. Primary places I hunt are on the Arkansas River in Arkansas. When out on the main river we hunt out of a 1755 Xpress with a 60 hp. What I am wanting is something to hunt the backwaters off the river, or oxbows. The boat would not go out on the main river, at most some protected bays. Most of the time it would be hunted by 1 hunter + dog, but sometimes 2 hunters + dog.

The type of boat I like the most after looking a lot is the classic barnegat. I have been looking at the Devlin Bluebill, and the Devlin Mallard. Overall I like the mallard better (they say it rows well and planning to row/pole more than running a motor) - drawback is it will not plane. On the bluebill I have not seen enough pictures or seen one but I would prefer for it to be a little longer plus it drafts more than the mallard per the devlin site. I know some people have built planing mallards, but never seen plans. I have searched the forums for anything on the two boats, but still have questions.

So my question is, what do you guys think of the two? Would you prefer planing (in case later I want to motor more), and how bad is the mallard under power? How difficult are the two to build? Is there another you would suggest?

Thanks for the input, sorry for the stupid questions.

Ahhh, much better. Thank you and sorry if I sounded like a grump. Appreciate the PM.

You might shoot kenmack a message if he doesn't pick up on this post. He built a Bluebill and could provide some good input. It does sound like it would match your needs closer than the Mallard.

Eric

Thanks Eric, just want to make sure I do not go to the effort of building one and it not being what I need. Just trying to feel my way through this one.

It looks like you have a pretty good understanding of the strengths/limitations of both boats, so I'm not sure how much I can add. It's really a matter of what you think your main use will be. If rowing, go with the mallard; if motoring, go with the bluebill. There's no point in modifying the mallard plans to make it a planing hull. That's essentially what the bluebill is anyway.

With either boat it will be a tight fit to hunt two guys + a dog. I use my bluebill occasionally to transport 2 hunters + a dog to a shore blind, but only in sheltered waters. This year I've hunted out of it a few times with my son who is 11, but he's just 5' and 100lbs, so it was manageable. If you have two full grown guys in the boat, there's simply not enough room.

Rick

David

What motor do you intend to use? Under 15 hp I'm not sure which boat you pick really matters. 15 and above (Ken runs a 25 hp) the Bluebill will plane with a full load. Might take 25 horsies to get two guys, dog, and gear going.

Rick,

Good point. If we put two in it, it will be to put one or both on shore. One would be hunting off the bank and the other like a layout. It is just some places the big boat does not go to well. 80% of the time it would be one person though so I figured it would be better to go small boat rather than trying to drag a black brant type through the mud/weeds.

Seems like life is a tradeoff. Do you know how well the bluebill rows?

Dave

I've only had to row it once, when the pee hole on my motor froze up last week of the season, and it seemed to row fine. Normally I pole it in shallow, weedy areas, and it's easy to pole, though I'm sure it's not as maneuverable as the mallard. It's such a stable boat that you can stand and move around without any trouble.

I've got a Yamaha 15 on it, and it will plane with a full load if the weight is distributed right. When I'm hunting alone, I keep as much weight in the bow as possible to keep it from porpoising, which is a common problem with the design.

Rick

jeesh.. and no mention of his good buddy jeff.. you guys watch him.. he's a fiesty one.

dave you've come to the right place.

jeff

lol, Jeff you will be the other guy in the boat. Need to come down, hunting is a lot different since that 1755 showed up. The places we have found ........ You are always welcome in the boat.

Rick, that was what I was looking for on the rowing.

Eric, Got a line on a 9.9 and a 20. More interested in light (9.9) to start, but the ability to get up on plane when I change my mind. Right now I do not care about it much, but I figure it would be nice to have later if I decide to go further and put a bigger motor on. Does the mallard really draft 2" more?

David, I run a 9.9 on my bluebill. She gets up on plane fine with me and gear. She actually tends to porpoise, like Rick said, on the high end on slick water. My boat actually runs better in a little chop, which we have most of the time. With me wet gear and wet dog plus a little ice, the boat struggles to get up on plane. I do wish I had a 15 on her, I think a 20 would be a little scary and a 25 would put you into ludicrous speed. -Jason

David,

Several people mentioned porpoising problems... when you build your boat, you can combat the porpoising by gluing wedges (they look like shingles) on the rear of the underside...

Most, if not all, Devlin's planing hull designs porpoise. Devlin specs the wedges and the problem disappears.

Good luck

My vote would be for the Mallard. Admittedly I'm biased because the Mallard is the boat I decided to build.

I chose the Mallard because of the added seaworthiness the rocker provides on a small boat. I also feel it has the nicest lines out of all the Devlin designs.

It is possible the Mallard draws 2" more water than the Bluebill because of the rocker. I've never rowed my boat but do a lot of poling and it poles like a dream.

Take note that boat performance varies from boat to boat in the same design. With that said, my boat will plane rigged with a dolfin stabilizer on my 15hp and loaded with one man, dog, and gear. Add a second adult and all bets are off as far as planing goes. I've debated trying the wedges and testing without the dolfin but have not done so yet. Top end speed is in the neighborhood of 12-15 mph.

Good luck with your decision.

Joe Lane

David, My Bluebill rows very well. I don't hunt with a dog so the ability to drop away from my anchors, row to the bird and row against the wind and tide back to the anchors is important. I made sure not to decrease any rocker when building her.

I am running an old 15hp Johnson and it planes well but like Jason says on slick water it doesn't need all the throttle.

Eric

Hello Dave. Thanks for the comps on my Bluebill. I've not finished my coffee yet so my reply might seem clipped, but here goes:

Yes, I've carried two men and a dog in my boat fairly frequently; once on the main channel downstream and into the wind which makes for some choppy seas. I don't think this would be possible in the Broadbill since it has a smaller cockpit opening. The bluebill, with it's motor well, is about as long (12') as the broadbill is when the motors are in place.

I've never rowwed or poled, I usually just put the motor up into shallow draft position and chug on in, sometimes in reverse.

I never measured the draft, but it is not much. I'll try to find a picture of it in the water.

I raised the shear 1", added curve to the crown of the deck, made the transom angle 17* but should have made it 20*, raised my coaming to about 2.625", lengthened the boat a few inches to make the power calculation work for 25hp, narrowed the cockpit, and curved the coaming out over the front deck. Most importantly, take your time and do it right the first time. Put in the effort to make the best boat you can. It will pay in spades at the boat ramp.

I recommend making the aft edge of the hull a sharp angle with fiberglass reinforced epoxy after the glass has been layed. Anti porpoising wedges, especially if the transom angle is 17* or less, should be applied before the keelsons are attached. A permanently attached floor has more practical advantages than a removable one; just make sure you have adequate access to the under side.

Study Duckboat Aft.jpg

Study Port Sponson.jpg

Duckboat Starboard View.jpg

Guard Bilge Aft Guarded.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys, exactly what I needed. You guys are good as Jeff said. Based on what I see I think I will go with the bluebill, even though the mallard might be better for what I use it for at first. Keep thinking of the 3 mile run down the bay and that might be real slow with the mallard.

Plan on starting at the end of the season (end of January). Probally have a lot more questions then. Like how did Kenmack make those grassing rails. Thanks again.

Dave

Dave,

don't think i'll get a chance to come up this year.. who knows though. You keep talking about scaup up there and i might have to make the trip!

if you are going with the bluebill, i have the plans if you want to look them over before ordering them.
I'm going to be building one one day.. just have to wait till K gets outta school and I actually have room for it.

jeff

Jeff

Kind of a weird year. Scaup, the redhead I told you about, today I found out 2 guys got three more redheads. Me, all gads and mallards. If you head this way let me know the week before.

You have the plans already, how tough does it appear to be to build?

Dave

BTW, took me 5 minutes to get my 9 point off the porch this year. These long hunts are killing me, the coffee was getting cold.

Dave,

Take a look at Eric's tutorial on building the Scaup--go to Main Index page, scroll down. It will give you a good idea of what's involved in building the Bluebill. Similar design, just smaller.

Rick

Back