Bulged Barrel

Jeff Reardon

Supporter
Despite the near complete absence of any birds, a buddy and I went out for a quick hunt Friday morning. As expected, it was slow, but a solo goose made an appearance fairly early. It was flying all around us looking for friends, and so desperate it actually responded to my pathetic calling and headed straight in.

I missed with the first shot, lined up the second, pulled the trigger, and sparks and smoke shot sideways out of my receiver. Needless to say, the goose got away.

I checked to make sure the barrel was clear, tried again with another shell, and the same thing happened. The shells I was using had been in my coat pocket for a while, so I switched to some fresh shells, and one fired just fine. I chalked it up to damp shells, and hunkered down to wait to redeem myself.

A half hour later, a solo mallard dropped in. This time the gun seemed to fire just fine, and I put a few pellets in the bird with my first shot. It dropped, clearly hit, and I tried a kill shot on the water only to have the gun fail to cycle properly. The duck flew away.

Several subsequent test shots seemed to fire normally, I but I couldn't get it to reliably cycle a second round.

At this point my buddy said, "That sounds funny." I didn't notice anything odd in the sound, but it was clear something was wrong, and we both had to get work, so we packed up and headed in.

That evening, cleaning the gun, I noticed the barrel was slightly bulged just ahead of the gas port. I'm not sure what caused the bulge, as I know the barrel was clear for the shots I took, but there it is--the gun is now unsafe and unshootable.

I guess I should have checked things out more closely after the first malfunction, though as noted I did check to make sure the barrel was clear. I'm just glad nothing dangerous happened on those test shots.

The bun is my beloved Beretta 390--best inexpensive beater semi-auto duck gun ever made, in my opinion. Replacement barrels are pricey and generally not available. I got a quote of $375 and "we might be able to get one sometime if you are willing to wait" from a Maine shop (Cole's) who are generally considered to be the best source of Beretta parts around.

My wife wanted to go to Kittery for Christmas shopping, so I (reluctantly) agreed. Lo and behold, Kittery Trading Post had a 3901, lightly used. This is nearly the equivalent of my gun, except this was the version not sold through Walmart. Some slight cosmetic differences, a wider rib, and a rounded rather than angled receiver, but functionally equivalent. They sold for a few hundred dollars more than Walmart my model for.

Since it was only about $200 more than a new barrel would be with shipping, I am the proud owner of a new duck gun. I'm not sure what to do with a gun that does not have 6 years of scratches and dings and salt water dull spots on the blueing.

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Do you think the bulge was allowing gas bypass so there wasn't enough captured to cycle?

Yikes. Scary.
Sorry about your gun, bad way to get to buy a "new " one. I love my Wally World 390

I think the failures to cycle were related the bulged barrel changing the gas feed--but that's just a guess. Another possibility is the failures to cycle were just a function of cold and damp. In the past on days near freezing I have had occasional cycling issues due to (I think) icing around the action spring. I haven't taken off the stock and cleaned that this season, so it might have been the issue and unrelated to the original problem I had.

The choke tube was fully screwed in. I wasn't aware that bulged barrels could be repaired. Perhaps I'll look into that. If it's relatively low cost, it might give me a back-up gun/loaner. Given the cosmetics of my old gun, it will not gain me much resale value.

My best guess is the original issues were related to damp shells, and that lead to something (probably a stuck wad) that caused the barrel bulge. After I switched shells, I never had the screwy ignitions and sparks out the receiver. When I checked to make sure the barrel was clear, I opened the receiver and looked for light. I might have missed a partial obstruction that allowed light to pass.

Anyway, damn glad I didn't end up with a burst barrel or an injury.

I just finished cleaning the "new" gun. . For a gun that externally looked both little used and well-maintained, it was surprisingly dirty. I'm pretty surprised that someone would trade in a gun that dirty, and that KTP wouldn't clean it before the sale

Jeff,

Wet shells:
Two years ago I had some 10 gauge shells get wet earlier in the hunting season. I did not think anything of it of the shell so I brought them home and spread them out on an old towel to dryout. The kicker is that the shells had a sealed crimp so I thought nothing of it. Late in season I brought the shells out to hunt and my first shot report sounded sub-par and i could actually see only pellets leave the barrel so I never took a second shot. I took the barrel off the gun immediately and had to take a cane stalk to push out the wad that had stuck midway in my barrel. After reassembling the barrel I took several volley shots of 2 and 3 rounds at geese over the next hour. Then the same thing occurred. I stopped shooting the shells and switched to a new box. Never had another problem rest of weekend hunting. Same incident as you claimed with seeing sparks and flames from the reciever. After the weekend of hunting I cut sveral shells apart and found clumping in the powder on some shells. I contribute this to the moisture from the shells getting wet earlier in the season. From a physics standpoint if I would have fired a second round after I noticed the report would have produced the bulge in the barrel because of back pressure. A devastating outcome in the shotgun would have been even worst a burst barrel which can be dangerous. I threw the shells out. I am certainly glad someone was looking over you and you did not get hurt.

Flight control wads:
Diver hunting with some buddies from Michigan saw a similar fate of a friends barrel. The outcome of shooting a flight controlled wad through a choke not designed for flight controlled wad. My buddy shot the first 4 inches off his gun and received burn marks on his face.

Regards,
Kristan

Jeff,

My go to waterfowl gun is a AL391, Urika 2, and I love shooting it. I am not familiar with your guns. How do they compare? While I have owned and shot a lot of different guns over the years that Urika 2 has been my favorite. Replacement barrels are outrageously priced.

Last edited:
Glad you are safe Jeff, and good luck w the new gun. We went on fresh water, and my motor stopped pumping....but had a great morning on black and whites...let's go soon.

Hutch

I searched beretta 390 bulged barrel and found one story of a bulge in the same place as you describe, he also said a gunsmith fixed it.

Jeff, do yourself and your family a favor, take the gun to a good gunsmith [Cole] and have the receiver checked out. Barrels are available on line, barrel exchange, vintage sporting and others. I was at a trap shoot and saw a 1100 disintergrate.
Err on caution...

Sorry to hear of the mishap Jeff, glad it was without injury. Good luck with new gun and barrel option(s). Not sure if you've heard of George Chase in Saco but he has done a couple things for me in years past. It may be worth a call to get his opinion on fixing the barrel, just an FYI if you didn't already have a gunsmith in mind.

Paul,

The Walmart 390s are the old model 390 without the magazine cutoff button. Plain jane, black finish & black synthetic stock.
Walmart and 1 or 2 other big box stores had Beretta crank up the old 390 line after the A390 or 391 came out to produce a lower price point semi with the Berretta name on it.
Same Berretta quality, just only sold in Wally World.
I bought one in 2003 and love it. Right after I bought mine, two other buddies went & got them and love them.
I have never had an issues with it. maybe 2 or 3 jams since I bought it. Still has the original recoil spring and I hunt a lot of salty water and don't really take the best care of it. Gets cleaned a few times a season & then stripped and cleaned before getting put up.
Great guns for the price.

Jeff you should be able to put the 3901 barrel on your 390 if you want to, sounds like the powder in those shells may have gotten quite wet the way you have described what happened! just my 2 cents worth.Glad you didn't,t get hurt!
John

I've had great luck with mine as well. It says something that despite the problem I had, I immediately went looking for an identical gun. I do not think my problem was caused by any mechanical issue with the gun.

Thanks to all for your thoughts. My "new" 3901 is cleaned and awaiting some cold weather or northeast wind for its inaugural hunt.

Jeff, I used to work at the KTP in gun sales, and you just couldn't win. Some people got upset if you cleaned them, and others wanted to see what it looked like when traded in. If requested, we would clean them for a customer but most times left them alone till then.

Geoff:

I hadn't considered that some buyers might not want the gun cleaned, but it makes sense. It was a little odd--the exterior was spotless, the barrel a little dirty but looked like it had maybe a dozen rounds through it. The gas system was filthy, with hard deposits that were tough to get off, and the inside of the receiver was similarly dirty. That made me think maybe the prior owner wiped the barrel out frequently but never cleaned the rest of the gun parts.

But when I took the stock apart to get at the action spring, everything back there was clean.

I'm wondering if the action spring got replaced--it looks new. (Nothing like my old one.)

It all cleaned up just fine--not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Back