BWCAW-- a few photos

Great shots Dave...thanks for sharing. Pretty funny...the guy in the office next to me was there the same week you were, so seeing some of your pics was a bit of deja vu.

Dave, Looks like you had a good trip. Any ash in the air where you were? Been several years since I been there but always a good time. Kinda skeery for an old guy to be by yourself wasn't it? ;-). Hope all is well and you are getting ready for the duck season. I have a student from down in your neck of the woods, I'll have to ask again what town but he knows where Shell Rock is.

How was the smoke? Here it was quite bad during your stay.

See any float planes land near you. A good friend was was up there and one of his companions broke his ankle. They tried to make it work out but in the end the injury became serious. They had to paddle to where they could get cell service and called in an emergencly float plane who took flew the guy out.

Made the rest of the trip difficult for the rest of the crew.

Mark W

HuntinDave - that looks like an awesome trip. I have been considering a future solos trip somewhere - you have inspired me - THanks!

Thanks guys,

I did not see any smoke or ash. One day I smelled some smoke but was pretty sure it was coming from another campsite. I did see a float plane early in the week then more and more (couple each day) towards the end of the week. As this is restricted air space I did begin to wonder about the frequency of the flights. Only upon leaving, did I learn of the fire. I believe it was to the west of my location. Had I stayed in for more days it would have been quite likely that I would have been contacted and told to evacuate.

Bob,
Yes, I know I should retire except I have a few bad habits. I like to eat regular meals and keep warm in the winter and dry in the rain. Now if you could talk to my accountant and work out those details, then I will gladly retire tomorrow, even today if you are fast enough. :>) :>)

That looks like a good trip! Sarah and I have been meaning to camp up there. Did you crop those pictures quite a bit?

Phil,

Actually not all that much. The river otters were about 25 yards from me and the loons about the same. Eagle was 80 yards or so when on the perch and about 150 yards when flying. ( I needed a faster lens for the flying shots but did not have it with me.)

I brought just one lens and a small camera case. Kept everything in a dry bag unless I was actively using it. Most of the time, the camera and dry bag rested between my legs in the kayak as I was fishing.

Shoot on shutter priority with a faster shutter speed....unless you are stating that your lens is to slow to find the subject in flight

Phil,

Thanks, I should know that already from my film days. I am still learning this camera and it will be nice when I have enough time with it that it starts to become second nature.

Very nice Dave. I am jealous.
Used to go to the boundary waters every year. We put in at the end of the gunflint trail and then paddled into Canada.
Have not been there since 1979, but maybe this is the nudge that I needed to plan a trip next year.
How were the mosquitoes and the black flies?

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
How were the mosquitoes and the black flies?

Gary,

Practically nonexistent, Just a very few mosquitoes and no black flies. Mornings were chilly but the days warmed nicely. Just about perfect conditions with no rain and a gentle midday breeze.
[/font]

Back