calling all lumberjacks and woodsmen

tom r

looking for advice on a good quality chainsaw. my old chainsaw has multisystem failure, is no longer safe and i am looking at getting a new chainsaw. it doesn't have to be the best but it has to be reliable, safe and can cut enough wood for living in a 12x14 wall tent for 2-3 months per year. price is not a factor if it will last(i would rather spend the money now on a quality saw, then have to replace several cheaper ones down the road). any advice on brands, size, models etc. would be much appreciated. thanks in advance, tom

Tom, Take a look at the 029 Stihl Farm-Boss,I have one and just love it,very smooth operator,cuts very well too,It has a 16 inch bar,and goes thru white oak real fast,I usually go thru 2-cords a year,I have heard good things about Huscavarna saws,but have never owned one, Brian

Can't beat a stihl, like Brian says. I had them all at work and can tell you that Husqvarna's were often hard to start. Great saw, but so much compression that it was a work out getting them started. So a Stihl is what I own and what I would get again.

I own a Husquvarna and it is a tough one to start. A logger buddy told me to get it and I wish I bought a Stihl when I'm pulling on it. Otherwise its a great saw.
-

I've had Huskies and Stihl's happy with both. I'd go with whichever has a local servicing dealer available.

Make sure with any of the larger saw you get a compression releif for starting, That make's a world of difference when pulling a cold saw.

I've got a Stihl 038 on a recommendation from my brother in law who cuts and burns 7-10 cords a year with his Stihl. The 038 is/was the smallest of the professional series saws if I remember right. It has a larger chain than the 029 so you can make bigger chips. I don't cut much wood anymore as I don't currently have a wood stove but have been perfectly happy with the Stihl.

Another vote for Stihl. Don't remember the model # but it's got a 30" barand is 20+ years old. I used commercially for the first ten years of it's life and is still going strong. I also have a few smaller chainsaws the best of them turned out to be a Homelite. Go figure.

If your tired of disposible chainsaws Buy a Efco or JONSERED without question. By far the best i"ve ever used. I cut alot of wood for outside wood burner. Mine is a Jonsered CS 2171 w/22" bar running full skip Semi chiesel chain. It's got the cylinder decompression, fires in 3 pulls. I bought mine after my friend that owned a sawmill let me use some of his.

Gene

I had used a few different saws at work and the Stihls were my favorite. So soon after we bought our house in '98 I bought a Stihl 025. It's always been dependable.

I have a Husky 455 Rancher... great saw... no complaints. I don't find it hard to start. Stihl and Husky are owned by the same parent company.

I bought an O28 super Stihl in 1983 and it has been used to fall and block enough wood for maybe 200 cords plus all sort of other task (fencing with cedar trees and such) that saw is still going like crazy. I also have an O28 that was my Dad's, it is also of an early 1980's vintage and it is still kicking. I have used an Husky a few times and they seemed ok.... Get what you like and can get service for as both should serve you well.

Matt

I have a 18" Stihl and a 16" Polan. The truth is I reach for the Polan more than the Stihl, it's lighter, starts on the second pull. I have had the Polan for about 5 years and still like it.

Most will say the Polan is a disposable saw, but I help my father in law cut about 8 cords of wood a year and it has lasted and I got my $200 out of it.

From a service standpoint I have to say that the Huskies were no fun to work on. Personal recommendation would be one you have a GOOD dealer for. They all need parts sometime and if you can't get them, well you get the picture. I like Johnsreds and Sachs/ Dolimar (sp) but with a bit of care any of the newer ones will go for a loong time. I have a Johnsreds 510 SP that we used to call the "Stupid Plastic" saw and it is still cutting. Just keep the chain sharp and oiled. Oh yeah clean that air filter also. Chain saws have some of the roughest lives of any of the power equipmment, I am constantly amazed how they keep going. Good Luck.

See what can be serviced locally...around here that means Stihl or Husqvarna. A lot of the loggers around here like the Husq better because they tend to cut a little faster than the Stihls, but both brands have excellent reputations and parts can be easily obtained if something does happen.

http://www.baileysonline.com/category.asp?catID=13

Check out Bailey's for a pretty informative webpage. They sell to anyone, yet their main market is loggers. Huskie and Echo's are their main lines, although they sell others. If you can, buy local once you decide.

Few have mentioned Reds but I will say since they were bought out a few years back, they are not the same saw. Older ones were great, but they are not the same. Sort of like when Jet woodworking machinery went overseas.

Sticking with Stihl/Husky/Echo will get you a good saw no matter what you bought. None of the NEW saws are dogs.

Tom, '
I have been using a Stihl 361C (this has the easy chain tightener) with an 18 in. chain. All I can say is that they are one fantastic machine. Stihl is one great product line. I have used them for years.
Al

i want to thank all of you who offered your opinions. i went ahead a purchased the stihl 290 18" today due to several recommendations and the fact that i had a dealer only about 15 miles away. just got done cutting and stacking a cord of wood for next duck season. i didn't realize how bad my old saw was until today. the stihl cuts so much quicker and seems to be a much better made saw. looking forward to years of service. i knew i 'd get good chainsaw advice on a duck boat site. thanks duckboats.net tom

Hey John - I just took a 25 year old homelite to a guy for service last week . Most won't service it because they are no longer made and no parts. Anyway, the problem was the saw suddenly started to cut out and stall. The guy went through the saw and cleaned a ton of sawdust out, changed the plug, sharpened etc., cleaned the carb and thought it wasw good to go. I got it home and after cutting through a small 8 " log it cut out on the next one. The other thing is it won't stay runnin at idle. Sounds like fuel to me but I wonder if you have any ideas that I could suggest he check. I took it back but I am afraid he may be "stumped"
sarge

Dick,

I have never really had a problem with my Homelite. Do the basic checks- spark, fuel and compression. I have seen in a few 2 cycle motors carbon deposits getting hung up on the electrode on the plug. It caused the motor to run and shut down then sometime start up again run for a little while then shut down again. Pull the plug and check it. Disconnect fuel line to carb and confirm fuel is flowing. Make sure you have compression. If the three basics look good it may just be in need of a carb rebuild again it it was not done properly.

Back