9502henmallardinflight_zpsad0e2c36.jpg

9489drakemallardinflight_zps1aa3bbe4.jpg

These were taken up on the Merrimack -

9619hoodedmerg_zps358925c1.jpg

9615buffleheads_zps0f9773b9.jpg

9717gooseinflightpse_zpsbceec1b2.jpg

9663hemmallardinflightpse_zps622009fc.jpg

9634drakemallardpse_zpsbb83f793.jpg

I have not been able to get a decent flight shot of an eagle, but I did get a shot of one eating a goose that died out on the ice. The eagle used his talons to rip the goose open and then chowed down -

9580eaglewithgoose_zpsbe7e178f.jpg

This last group is from Rockport where a group of mallards had a heck of a time landing on ice. Some went sliding all over the place as it was very windy -

9766mallardhendroppinginpse_zpsd97b3e68.jpg

9736mallarddrakedroppinginpse_zps68bf5309.jpg

9732mallardhenonicepse_zpsba5696f1.jpg

OH and back to Ipswich for some pintails........sorry about the distance -
9807pintailsinflight_zps9418682f.jpg

9806pintails_zps4a827056.jpg

9805pintails_zpsb1455d09.jpg

I really need to set up for the pintails with a blind on the beach if the wind will ease up a LOT.

sarge

don't apologize for the distance I like them at that distance in photos. Thank you for sharing

What a fantastic selection of shots. You were standing on the "X" for these, Dick. My favorites were those on the ice. It reminded me of Disney's movie on the Prairie, mostly in the Dakotas and they were photographing mallards landing on the icy sloughs in the springtime. The light you captured with them is special. What lens were you using?

Please don't apologize for any of these fine photos. Well done.
Al

Dick:
Thank you for the photos they are Great, sitting here after the season brings back some Great hunts I have enjoyed.
Thanks Again, Dave

I agree with Al. The lighting on those shots of the mallards over the ice is fantastic. Always look forward to these posts!

don't apologize for the distance I like them at that distance in photos. Thank you for sharing.

Hi Tom - Thanks, I am scheming to get closer with a lens of about 200 instead of 400 and try to get good color and detail and focus for a group of birds.

If you look at some posts by Gary March, one of the masters at this, you will enjoy them.

sarge

Nice work Dick! Hitch

Thanks Hitch, hope you had a good season. When we get blasted with the high winds and real cold, every once in a while I think about someday getting farther south.............if it wasn't for the reptiles !
sarge

very nice, i could look at your pics all day, great pics for my taxidermy work, scott,

Thanks Scott. I have several birds mounted and nothing brings back the memories of those hunts like a nice mount !
sarge

Some real nice shots Dick, it has been a little breezey....

Thanks for posting.

Hi Troy, thanks and that was some real big wind and cold we had. I always think about the guys out fishing offshore in that weather, tough way to earn a buck.
sarge

What a fantastic selection of shots. You were standing on the "X" for these, Dick. My favorites were those on the ice. It reminded me of Disney's movie on the Prairie, mostly in the Dakotas and they were photographing mallards landing on the icy sloughs in the springtime. The light you captured with them is special. What lens were you using?

Please don't apologize for any of these fine photos. Well done.
Al

Al, thank you ! I was using the 400 at the end of the day with some nice light behind, on and off, between clouds.

There was some open water on one edge. I went back yesterday and the whole deal was solid and the birds moved out to the ocean and other places.

After sitting with my camera, looking at a frozen pond with no ducks, I thought maybe I should go get some ice fishing gear !
sarge

I agree with Al. The lighting on those shots of the mallards over the ice is fantastic. Always look forward to these posts!

Hi Bob - Thanks, I am looking forward to a late goose season now for a couple weeks and looking forward to using the goose call you made with some of Al's wood.............has a great sound !
sarge

Back