Cedar for sneak box.

Blake Waterworth

Where would a Midwest guy(Missouri) find white cedar lumber for building a sneakbox?
It’s something I’d like to do some day but I don’t think we have much around here.

Where would a Midwest guy(Missouri) find white cedar lumber for building a sneakbox?
It’s something I’d like to do some day but I don’t think we have much around here.
Where are you located in Missouri. I am in Jefferson City and I think a few lumber yards around here might have some or might be able to order some.

You are correct.

The closest mills are likely in the UP. I drove from Arkansas a long time ago and got a ton of lumber for decoys. The mill I used went out of business, but some up there still cut white cedar or "swamp cedar". The biggest issue will be finding boards clear and long enough for your use.

There is a lumber company administered by one of the tribes (Menominee? maybe?) if I remember correctly, that is based in Wisconsin.

It's either that or a drive to the East Coast, or work a deal out with them and have it shipped to you.

You are not limited to using Atlantic White Cedar for a sneakbox. I would look at whatever lumber is local and used by local boatbuilders in the past.

Chesapeake Light Craft sells Cypress which is a good alternative. https://clcboats.com/shop/products/...lywood/marine-lumber-by-the-foot/cypress.html

Tales from a Shipwright as mentioned getting cypress from Florida. Also check the back pages of Wooden Boat building magazine for lumber sales.

You are not limited to using Atlantic White Cedar for a sneakbox. I would look at whatever lumber is local and used by local boatbuilders in the past.

Chesapeake Light Craft sells Cypress which is a good alternative. https://clcboats.com/shop/products/...lywood/marine-lumber-by-the-foot/cypress.html

Tales from a Shipwright as mentioned getting cypress from Florida. Also check the back pages of Wooden Boat building magazine for lumber sales.
But cypress will add weight. Cedar is 24 lbs/cu ft, cypress is 32....30% more.

You can get that here in Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc.; there are mills that could probably get boards with custom lengths up to 14', maybe longer.

White cedar is pretty much a perfect wood for boats. I don't know of anything native with similar density, durability, and mechanical properties. Too bad its not widely available. @Richard Lathrop, you mentioned to me cutting okoume plywood into strips for boat planking where the curves are compound. That might be the best idea I've heard as a replacement for white cedar. Of course it will have to be thoroughly sealed.

Prior owner strip built my melonseed. You could also use Western Red Cedar. That is what Independence Seaport used to plank Silent Maid, a Barnegat A cat.

Western Red Cedar strip built sneakbox.

Rick Lathrop

Last edited:
I have tried quite a few mills in the UP to get wood for a similar project. The problem I run into is they never have lengths longer then 8' since that is the length they cut them to in the woods commercially . The Second issue is finding clear wood. Cedar is still cut in the UP but not nearly a much as it was in the past. Thermal cover ( cedar, hemlock, fir) is being left in place up here a lot more now cutting down the deer winter yards turned out to be a bad practice.

Here is a listing that may lead to a supplier.

Wood & canvas canoes are optimally planked in white cedar, but many were planked in Western red, when white wasn't available. You may find that clear Western red is more readily available. Old Town used Western red quite often. There are a few wooden canoe builders/restorers in the Midwest that might offer some suggestions on sourcing your cedar. If you go to www.woodencanoe.org (Wooden Canoe Heritage Association) and click on the Builders & Suppliers tab, a contact list will appear.

Back