cedar gunners?

Mike, I'm not going to get involved in a wood versus cork debate here, they both have their respective place in the carving world, they both have advantages and disadvantages. The point is that hollow cedar birds will stand up to many years of hard hunting. Guys have been carving and hunting hollow cedar for God only knows how long, and yes they have hunted them in brutal, freezing conditions. Have some of them cracked? I'm sure they have and although I have no statistics to back me up I would bet the percentage is fairly low, and of that percentage I would bet that the adhesive was the cause of a vast majority of the failures, not the wood. Besides a crack in a decoy does not automatically turn it into firewood, cracks can be repaired. With todays technology in adhesives and sealers, I am not afraid to subject my decoys to any weather conditions I may encounter during hunting season.

You can hollow pine decoys as well, although similar to cedar, pine is a little harder and a little heavier. It depends on what your requirements are for your decoys.

can you hollow out the bodie of decoys made of a diffrent kind of wood like pine?

You guys are killing me... I think I'm gonna give all my cork and wood gunners to the Mission Rummage Sale this year and go totally plastic.. :)

Good discussion guys. A healthy debate always makes us all better. God bless!

Just send em to me, I'll take care of them for ya.

You guys are killing me... I think I'm gonna give all my cork and wood gunners to the Mission Rummage Sale this year and go totally plastic.. :)

Good discussion guys. A healthy debate always makes us all better. God bless!

Pat,
Let me know when the rummage sale is. If I had to guess I would say its a ten hour drive but I bet it would be worth it to pick up your entire rig for a few bucks!

so much to consider! but hey i'm 24 and have plenty of time to experiment. but i'l have to say i learned quite a bit. i have a few cork decoys ready to be hunted, i have a few hollow cedars in the works, and i have pine too. so i guess i'l try a little of each, and i guess i'l find out whats more condusive to my region as far as holding up for the long haul.

dont get rid of those dekes pat, i enjoy hunting over them!

My favorite decoys are hollow white pine. I've been hunting late season divers with some of my hollow goldeneyes for six seasons so far and they've held up well. They are in and out of the cold as well, since I usually have to thaw the boat out every night in the garage.

Last edited:
quick question. i heard through the grapevine that hollowed cedar for gunners isnt the greatest idea, mainly because of how the weather can cause them to expand and crack. i've been carving for about a year an a half now, and was planning on cedar for my gunners. i would appreciate any advise regarding. thanks

Hi Christan,

As soon as I read this, I knew it would draw the 'cedar snobs' out of the wood work. Now before you guys get all huffy again, I find it interesting how defensive you all can be. While the cork fans just keep carving away. (here, I'll throw in some strategic punctuation for those who can't take a joke)

;)

so much to consider! but hey i'm 24 and have plenty of time to experiment. but i'l have to say i learned quite a bit. i have a few cork decoys ready to be hunted, i have a few hollow cedars in the works, and i have pine too. so i guess i'l try a little of each, and i guess i'l find out whats more condusive to my region as far as holding up for the long haul.

Right, all the mediums have their pros and cons, each carver just has to find what works best for him as a hunter, or what he enjoys the most as a carver. I love making canvas deeks, but know full well from a standpoint of duribility, they rank right in there with Scott's paper mache corn deeks.

I've discussed this before with Mike and like his philosophy...he makes cedar to sell, better money in it, but makes cork for his own rig because the last longer for his style of open water, long lines in a big boat, clunking the deeks on the side...that says alot to me.

Pat, Let me know when, I'll get the tent and camp out a week in advance.

Chuck

I'll say this to add grist.

Hollow your cork birds to make them lighter.

My cork birds are TOADS, friggin heavy as hell. You know when you pick up a bag of the cork decoys over the wood ones. (I usually save that for my friends or newbies hunting with me!!)

I hunt similarly to Mike, big water, layouts etc. I also do small back water sloughs so I have to be mobile with my rig. They are all long lined, pulled into the boat. I find I treat all my decoys the same. Plastic/cork/wood. I TRY not to bang the crap out of anything. No sense in that in my book. So far in my rig guess which ones last the best? None of them. They all wear about the same. Tails/heads/bills and sidepockets all get "wear marks"

Plastic sink, needing a patch. Cork or wood get epoxy on them to seal the errant shot that finds the decoy.

I guess in the end, just carve something, try it, use it, then after 10 years make up your mind. All the while carving more and more. Eventually you will be happy with one over the other. That is what it is all about.

Best of luck with any of it.

Mike, you ask for Brandon to post one, how about a couple of yours??? I know you can figure out the posting issues!!! cheers.

Where in this post did anyone get huffy or defensive?

I will say that if you want the other side of the story, there was a post a few months back on this site started by Charlie Foulds, where guys were talking about switching back to cedar because cork decoys were not holding up for them.

To each his own. Carve with what you want, but don't be afraid to try different things and see what works best for you.

Interesting discussion, to me it all comes back to how much work, detail and time you put into a decoy. No matter what the medium they have issue's, so if you have 10+ hours per bird, you may be upset the solid cedar cracks or cork takes on water. The decoys of yesterday were utilitarian objects, they used what the had, design/medium that worked for their situation and threw them in the water. If they need to be repainted, reheaded or fixed so be it, they had one objective, to fool birds within gun range. My goal is to continue that philosophy, I have 2-3 hours per decoy and use it, they may not be pleasing to everyones eye, but it hopefully will be enough for a ducks. Design and experiement with what works for your hunting conditions and situations and move forward doesn't matter if its hollow, cedar, cork, balsa or 2x4's.

Last edited:
My first instinct was not to reply to this thread. I think we all have seen too many of ones like this go south. I don't know why it is so many guys are willing to fight at the drop of the hat when it comes to carving or painting mediums, guns, dogs, etc, but at least it keeps it interesting.

While I do have my preferences just like everyone else, I really don't care how anyone else wants to carve or paint. Each person is going to be attracted to different mediums for different reasons. One thing that a lot of guys seem to forget is that if you are going to hunt the decoys you make, and make enough, sooner or later there are going to be failures on wood, cork, paint, glue etc. There are obviously a number of factors that determine what that rate of failure is going to be including but not limited to how the decoys stored and transported, how much use they get, who careful you are about maintenance and shooting them etc. Obviously we try to take steps to alleviate it, but it does happen. I think we also need to decide for ourselves how much of this is acceptable vs how much time you want to invest in preventing such failures. For example, maple heads would most certainly make a decoy more durable that cedar, pine or basswood, but the time and cost to make them and them make the decoy float right outweigh the benefits. If it takes me 4 times longer and I'm only going to have bill breakage on 5% of my decoys over 10 years, then for me, I'm time ahead just dealing with a broken bill once in a while and just making more.

For my answer on the original question, I carve out of cedar and for the past 4 years much of it has been the dreaded heartwood. Many blocks were checked to begin with but after properly dealing with the checks and hollowing out, I have had a very low (only 1 or 2%) rate of re-occurrence of checking.

He he.... sitting here in Sunset Beach, NC on family vacation and eyeing the palmettos. Wonder if anyone would get upset if I took one of the kitchen knives to the best frond specimens I can find? I see some that are large enough.

"What am I doing, sir? I'm just the groundskeeper for Sunset Properties. We've been having problems with the dreaded palmetto beetle infestation, so I'm just trimming frond samples to insure these trees are healthy."

Chris and I have totally different opinions, but I never thought of it as a fight. I know some sites can't host a disagreement without tempers flaring, but I don't feel that is the case here. That is what makes this site exceptional.

_Bob, frond decoys should be outlawed! Using tropical wood during southerly migrations is tantamount to baiting!

Mike,

It's the latest technique in "short stopping." ;-)

Got a better look at some of these palmetto fronds while out walking this morning. They really don't fit the bill - their underside shape doesn't seem to have the same "reverse chine" that the big ones from Cali have.

Rain on & off today; will have to find a driving range and head out with my sons between showers. Looks like cooler weather but clear starting tomorrow, so we'll hit the links. Not nearly as much fun as skeet or duckin' where I can at least usually hit something in regulation.

Anyone know where there's a wildlife refuge on the intercoastal waterway near the SC / NC border?

Bob, I know there's a huge aviary in eastern NC... Normally that in itself wouldn't be that big of a deal, but by the sounds of how big this one is and how it's set up, it sounds like it's really something to see. If you're interested give me a call and I can get you a phone number to a friend down there.

Duane,

Thanks for the reply. A local told me there's a small island acessible on the west end of ours (Bird Isl.) that is a sanctuary. Going to hike over there today.

Back