Clogged Culvert (Updated 8/13 with pics)

Eric

Are you talking about those 5-10 hp portable pumps that Northern Hydraulics sells and some rental places have too? I've not fooled with them and don't have much feel for the volume/pressure they can generate. If that is what you are refering to I'm certain I could get my hands on one.

As for the tire idea I know that we can see daylight at the very top of the clog. Fishing a chain shouldn't be that bad.

Eric

Eric,

I have not been to Northern Hydraulics but a quick search of the site

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200418131_200418131

shows essentially what I am talking about.

get some blue hose

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_10212_10212

and either a 10' section of pipe or PVC (I prefer pipe so you can "work it in there" a bit harder than PVC) and have at it.

Not sure what the rental places have, but I am sure it is similar.

I have a buddy who is a excavator who will come by and "plunge" the pipe as described by nick if it is real bad, never had that myself, but he has had to do it for other people. We mainly get grasses, mud and smaller sticks. If we don't keep them clean the whole property floods, for the most part we only have to do it about every 8-12 years. The inlaws have always done it this way for damn near 30 years or more.

Pictures, again, we call for pictures!!!

Either way, git er done!

Could you get any help from your local DU chapter or other waterfowling organization? I know up here they help people out in situations similar to yours when the job improves waterfowl habitat or waterfowling.

Maybe call in Mike Rowe - I hear he needs some more dirty jobs.

Good Luck

Mark W

Eric,
those are the pumps.

Rental yard should have what you need for hose. One suction, and as much discharge as it takes to get to the culvert.
You might have to buy the section of pipe to make the knozel.

They move a lot of water fast.

Bob

Eric, go to your local fire department and talk to them, a small donation and they may help you out. If not ask them if there are any fire truck collectors groups around, these guys own their trucks as collectors and may help you.

This is what the clogged culvert looked like. We cleared the lower culvert out last weekend and went back there this afternoon.

This is a view towards the down flow side of the clogged culvert. As you can see the there is no flow to speak of. I'm standing on the previously unclogged culvert. It was bone dry.

This is the waterflow after manually digging out the mud and sticks. I was going to do the tire trick using the tractor to pull it through but once i got digging it wasn't that bad. I used the very tool that Nick Ronning suggested. As nasty as the pipe was it was the coolest place to work. It was 96 degrees today. The shady pipe was better than the full sun. I crawled in and started raking the jammed material free. When the water got too deep to work I moved to the outside and removed everything I could. I don't know if I got it all but I got most.

She's flowing pretty good now.

Here is where she exits the second culvert and heads to the river.

Here are the remnants of an old beaver dam at the foot of the bridge. Just up from the first culvert. I'll have to keep an eye on this. Good part is I can get a back hoe or other equipment in to dig it out if it becomes a problem. So for now the plan is to wait and watch as it drains and work any issues that come up. It will probably need some help somewhere but this should go a long way towards getting the water out.

View from the bridge towards the hunting property. It's thick!

Hey, glad my thoughts were of some value!

I don't think there are a lot of topics on this site that I can really contribute technical advice . . . I've certainly been the learner on most of these threads.

It's nice to be able to use a hand tool and get the job done - then you know it should be fairly easy to keep the water flowing in the future, rather than worrying about pumps and/or heavy equipment all the time.

Cool,
be careful working in pipe like that. That is confined space work and can get you in a jam if the plan goes awry.
As was said by others the work you did will feel sweet this fall when the birds are setting in in front of your boy.

Update:

Thomas and I went back down here to see how the water was flowing. The level has dropped in the swamp but the old beaver dam is inhibiting the flow. It has a breach but not big enough. We are going to go back this weekend and work some more. If I had a back hoe I could remove it entirely. It sits right at the foot of the bridge where you can get heavy equipment to. Next week sometime I'm meeting Wally (my employer and landowner) to check things out. He has more resources than I.

Like I mentioned before the swamp has changed over the years, for the wetter. It once had hardwoods in it but they all died. I may know why. Even after we clear the beaverdam and the water drops to the bottom of the first culvert there will still be water in the swamp. I'm coming to the conclusion that whoever dropped the culverts in didn't pay close attention to the original creek bed level and set them in about a foot higher maybe more. In essence they partially plugged the place. That would explain why the trees died and aquatic plants are flourishing. Having said that and seen it completely dry out with the culverts plugged I'm cautiously optimisitic if we start drying it out in March instead of Aug we may actually be able to get in their with tractor and clear ground to plant. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Man! Given all the time and effort you & Thomas have invested (starting way back), I hope you guys enjoy great outings at this spot for many years to come. Neat to hear how all this continues to evolve.

Eric,

I have a 6inch deisel pump that you could use to pump the water level down maybe then make it easier to work with -I havent used it since I aquired it, but you are welcome to come look at it. I got a hold a about 85 acres south of hampton cove just past the flint - deer, turkey and duck hunting - the pump came with the property I bought. Just let me know...
Jaime

Back