DECEMBER - What's on your work bench?

Great stuff this month everyone.

Jode,
That Heron is an awesome work of art. A little of everything in that piece. The wire legs are really cool.

Tim

Jode~

Spectacular! Lots of creative ideas went into that - each very nicely executed. It's hard to single out a favorite but those "knees" are great.

All the best,

SJS

Daaaang Jode! Very nice indeed. I bet there are some pretty good looking calls hidden in that root ball too.

Here's my workbench thread, no pun intended, per John's request...

So I figured I'm going to redo all of the lines I have finished already with the longline clips attached. My plan is to make the drops a semi-permanent (removeable) fixture on my own blocks. So I'll do the eye splice on both ends of the tarred line. One end with a small loop and the other with a larger loop. Then attach it them to whatever suits my needs at the time.

a34883fc-2145-4df0-a04b-085163ffe55f_zps0f2d0ad9.jpg

This way I can detach it from the decoy when I want to pull a bird off the mainline and make it a single with its own weight. The drop in the picture is only a trial piece, that's why its so short. I do plan to make the real deal longer.

With weight and decoy...
89ee21ae-0b7b-4fe1-bf85-05e6e021ff40_zpsab0423f6.jpg

and the same line with decoy and alternate longline clip attached...
c9ac0cd5-87d2-48ca-93a6-029b3a69e47e_zps221d9638.jpg

I'm not saying I'm the first to ever do this or anything, just sharing what my plans are.

Steve

Oh what the heck, here are a few calls from the work bench. Left to right Canarywood, Bocote, Bocote, Chakte Viga, Chakte Viga & Hormigo...

These were done for a good friend at Triple D Retrievers...
c938b58f-c5c5-4c96-8b66-f482407aed75_zps65db88e4.jpg

And these were done for a local Coast Guardsman stationed here in Erie. I'm not a big fan of the laminated stock on the left, but it does come in handy when somebody wants Coast Guard colors. The Short Reed goose call is Cocobolo.

731945f7-6050-48a4-b14a-ef6066185dad_zps9bd3a1ec.jpg

Thanks for lookin'...

Steve

Thanks Steve, i am glad you picked up on that!

I appreaciate all the other comments too! Steve S, Bruce and Phil, Thanks.

Great looking bunch of calls BTW Steve.

Nice flock Ron. Look great. Can you tell us what kind of wood you are using? That wood you used to carve the ruddy has rays in that look like a hardwood. The wood on the goldeneye and canvasback appear to have no grain, is it tupelo?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the compliment Brad,the first two are hollow white pine with basswood heads. The next three are basswood.

Back