Duck and house dog advise

When thinking of getting a dog for protection, be careful . 77% of dog bites are done to the family or friends of the owner. The majority of those bitten are younger than 15 y/o. As was mentioned, if you are just looking for a dog that barks when strangers come around, then most breeds will work and can be encouraged to do so

I however, have always gone to great lengths not to have dogs that are constant barkers. I live in the city and don't appreciate all the neighbor's dogs barking every time they see someone. I also use to train retrievers professionaly and compete with them . No one wants to hear 20 dogs on a truck barking every time so one goes near it. Teaching "quiet" is something I have always done.

If I'm not home the dogs will bark if someone comes to the door and sounds intimidating but they do not bark when I'm home or they are out in the yard.

While the golden used to be the number one biter in the U.S. , this is no longer true. When this statistic was true it was when the golden was the number one owned breed in the U.S. It makes some sense that the breed with the highest population numbers would also have the most bites. Both these distinctions now appear to belong to labs and lab mixes.

There is a distinction between bites though. Since there is no national data base for NON-fatal dog bites, data varies from study to study depending on where they got their statistics. Most use ER data. This also leads to some discrepincies since you would expect more bites by big dogs ( retrievers, etc, ) to need ER treatment then say bites by yorkies or other small dogs.

There is a national data base for fatal dog bites though and here are the top 10 offenders by breed.

The 10 breeds involved in the most lethal attacks over the past ten years are :
1.pit bulls
2.rottweilers
3.German shepherds
4.huskies
5.malamutes
6.Dobermans
7.chow chows
8.St. Bernards
9.Great Danes
10. Akitas

Again if you look at the breeds, all are larger dogs and at one time or another most were bred either for protecting people or in large animal hunting where agressiveness and big bite power were needed for survival.

Dave B

I know your looking for a dog to adopt but I'll tell you of a dog that is versatile. I'm talking about a Draaghthar/Wirehair. Mine is about 80lbs, big boned, loyal, intelligent, and to a stranger can be intimidating. These dogs have some complex breeding in them. Hunting, tracking, retrieving, and downed game protection. There's been times when i've startled him and he lets out a momentary growl through his whiskered face and it will make your hair stand on end. They are tough/powerful dogs. I think I could hit mine in the head with a 2x4 and not even phaze him. (Not that I would.) Mine will cozy up to strangers that I'm friendly with. But if it was an intruder entering the yard, his size and looks would probably give them second thoughts.

Dogs should never BITE unless directed to .....

Sound advice.

Too many dog owners who THINK that they know dogs and how to handle them are playing with dynamite when they look for a dog to "protect" the family. Many dogs that appear protective are fear biters, mentally unstable, or have unknowingly assumed a higher position in the pecking order of the home.

It takes a fair amount of time to train OB and prepare a hunting dog, and it requires a comitment to keeping the dog in both physical and training condition.

But, the average guy has no where near the knowledge and time to create a reliable protection dog.

Just like most hunting guys will insist that a retriever be FF so that "fetch" is a command that the dog obeys without question or faulter, the attack/protection dog should be trained to attack, NOT just be aggressive on its own. Once it does the latter, IMHO you've compromised your alpha position in you family, and you are on your way to having a problem, the least of which will be retrieving related.

Like a previous post suggested, select your dog based on hunting and you ammunition for home defense.

Best regards,

3drahthaars

To all posting, a big thank you! I suppose my message related to home protection via a dog were a bit over stated. My wife really likes having a big protective dog around. I will not have a biter, nor do I think a loaded shotgun under the bed is a good idea.

We will be looking for a dog that will be a great part of our family, will bark at the strangers, and will fetch up the few ducks I manage to dump every year. Keep in mind, I plan to hunt about 15-30 days a year. Our preference is for a black lab or a chessie. I do like some of the other breeds out there and thanks for the information.

Once again, thank you.

Scott

Get the dog you want for hunting, leave the "home protection" to Mr Smith and Mr Wesson....

IMG_2111.jpg

2.jpg

Cooper20Scoter20with20Old20Squaw.jpg

TUESDAY025.jpg

I vote chessies, I have had labs for 30yrs now and switched to chessies 6yrs ago. I'll never go lab again. I'll probably catch flack for this but Chessies are like a "f350 4x4 dually" compared to lab at "f150 4x4" both 4x4's but one has more balls. Affection, loyal, couragous, fearless, athletic, smart, personality, indurance and take the weather. They amaze me everyday, all they want to do is make me happy and to show them attention.
I have 3. 1 m deadgrass, and two sedge 1f,1m pup. 1 choc. fem/ son's. Also nice is that slight varying colors and high lights between dogs coats.
My male dg was in my man cave the other day w/me and wanted attention while I was working. So I looked at him and said, kennel and tapped the 43" high bench I was working at. Swear to god, he jumped straight up onto the top of bench. So I gave him attention he wanted. After all "Cash" did do what I asked of him. The Maddie puts her head underwater and swims after ducks that dive on her. If you toss a softball size rock in our pond in shallow end the M and fem will both go under for it. I have had labs that would do it. But these two bring back exact rock. I marked them. These are examples of sm. differences that I have grow to love.
Just my opinion,
jmb

or at the very least discern markings on rocks and having read the minds of their masters inherently KNOW that that was his mark......damn I knew they were WONDER DOGS but now I have proof....

Must find my pistol to off my Labs, both of which will bring back submerged items but can niether smell, "under water" or decipher "marks", so I can get me a REAL duck dog....

By the way, for the record.....I have a 3500 Chevy....the only difference in it and the not so "supposedly badass" ones that I've had over the years is that the 3500 is crankier, harder to work on, breaks more often, gets far worse gas mileage, and cost more everytime it breaks down.....none of which are what I'd consider "desirable" traits.....

Steve, tongue in cheek, Sutton

Last edited:
I would never allow a dog to retrieve rocks. I've seen dogs that do this and their teeth go bad long before they are ready to be retired. Nothing sadder than a Chessie growling at you and showing his gums.

I had a Golden that could retrieve a beer from the fridge... considering duck season is two months and beer season is 12 months, thought it was a pretty important feature in a dog.

Well they use dogs to locate drowned victims.The gasses emit from the body, are detected by the dog on the surface.Ever hear of the test they did with a Lab, on sterilized glass ashtrays?they burried them at low tide along the shoreline about 20'apart (a dozen),let two tides go buy and the dog found most of them.Beats me.Strange,but true

at high tide.....on a full moon.....on the Solstice.......with complete cloud cover......in a pounding gale and a lashing surf.....with ice in the water.......

Stupid, dumb, Labs.....can't even find an ashtray in the sand.....

Steve, the confirmed Chessie man, Sutton

That's probably true.I don't smoke ,so don't need an ashtray.Now that "get the beer thing"HMMMMMmm

I didn't train them to bring rocks up. They just started picking them up from the bottom while playing in pond. After watching them from the porch I walked down to the lake to see what they were up to and found all these damn rocks everywhere. So I kicked em back in. Nnext day, days etc. rocks everywhere again. Sooo, I picked out a rock of noticable features and chuck it in near shore. Dog jumps in starts bobby her head underwater, laughing I walk back up to house. Shorty there after returning porch she brings rock up to me. I thought no f-ing way, but it was the rock. What it means I don't know? does it prove anything ? Probably not. But they sure do have character.
I wonder if I take them to the Florida Keys if she'd find pirate treasure?
Sutton, the problem w/ your 3500 is the bowtie on the front grill. Go w/ the blue oval next time.
Jmb

GO WITH THE BLUE OVAL is as predicatable as one dog owner saying his breed is the smartest, prettiest, storngest, bestest, for by god sweetest and most eager to retrieve....

Dogs aor trucks...what you have is what you love and what you recommend...

As to blue ovals based on past experience with those POS's I won't even let them in my driveway much less ever make a payment on one again.....

Steve

At least were fortunate to have these choices. Imagine no dogs or trucks.
If my chessies only had thumbs I could teach them to feed themselves. No! that would be a bad Idea.

gene r. -formally known as jmb.
Thats for u Steve. I feel so much better now.

Ps. time to go watch the damn toyota trucks beat chevy and ford.

till tommorrow,
gene r

Ford makes the best truck...for use as a truck.....I DRIVE a GMC 2500hd. I've seen 3 Chessies that I like..Pete McMillers, Dave Fischers(where has he been?) and Bezubics. Bezubics was a bitch in every sense of the word and I walked on eggshells around her and so did Colby. Colby was bigger,faster,stronger and younger and was scared to death of her. Pete's Otto is a loveable oaf that could be made to hide by saying "Lucky" (Greg Bires furry mutt that would fight a polar bear) Mike's dog was silky as satin sheets and loved to party among the rooms...the jerky sticks might have been an "in" for me there though. I'll stick to Ford Trucks for hauling the lumber, GMC for hauling my big ass and Labs for hauling my heart.

Diver Dan, I'll give ya hard headed, at times. But, so am I. But when you said, Remingtons. You lost me there.

gene r.

Back