Duck Boat construction?

Scottw

I was wondering if any of you folks have built your own duck boats? I'd like to build a 10 to 12' boat. Something comparable to an otter stealth type boat. Any recommendations on plans? How much fiberglass cloth and resin might I need to do this? Thanks for any input you guys might have!

Scott,

I haven't built the type you are asking about. Just a couple of piroques/canoes. But there are lots of guys here that have and you can find all kinds of info on the Devlin boat site. materials lists, estimated costs, time frames etc. Good luck.

Lots of people here have built their own boats, most of them are Devlin designs and the Karas. But also some other "commercial" designs and some people have designed their own. Ask some more specific questions & you will get replys.

I have a complete set of plans and full size blue-prints for the glen-l duck boat. It can be built in 2 different versions. The double ender, and the motor model, which is designed with a transom for mounting a small outboard. The plans also include templates for building the hull form. What I was hoping to find out is-----> How many square yards of fiberglass cloth might I need? Any guess on the amount of resin it will take? Can the original design be shortened from the original 14' design down to 10 or 12'? I plan on building 2. A 14' model for me and the dog, and a shortened version for my 13 year old nephew. We mostly hunt swamps, so rough water isn't really an issue. I guess I'm just hoping for any type of hints you guys might be able to offer. I've never built a boat before, and it just seems a little intimidating. So any help or hints offered is greatly appreciated!

I've built that boat (but in 1980)and found it most helpful just to use GlenL's fiberglass kit specifically designed for it. Then you can add additional in areas as you like once you get the boat completed. If they don't have the kit any more then I suggest building the boat then you can measure and determine the amount of glass and resin you need. As previously recommended, ask specific questions as they arise and there are a number of individuals with outstanding experience and skills to help you. Also a few sarcastic ones, but ignore them.

http://duckboats.net.nmsrv.com/specs/marsh.html The second boat down is the Hybrid. The plans tell you all the materials you will need for the build.

This boat has been built by a couple dozen or more folks over on The 'Fuge. It is a cheap and easy to build plywood boat for any marsh hunting. Sticking to the plans will result in a 60 pound boat that fits in a long bed pickup. It is a little small for a big guy and a dog, but a medium sized guy with a small dog will be OK.

Back