Duck hunting cart? Cart/ layout blind combo?

Ed Askew

After hunting ducks for 30 years in the marsh for the first time in my life I will be a farm hunter this year. No boat is needed; no way to get a boat out to most of these farms. However, it's quite a walk, 1/2 mile or more to some of these spots, over what could at times be somewhat soft ground, but nothing like marsh. A lot of folks use ATV'S; I really can't see getting yet another engine I've got to maintain just for that but I've thought about either buying or building a light little cart that I can pull behind me to haul all my stuff out there. Years ago I had a spot in California we used to walk quite a ways to and just backpacked everything but I had lightweight dekes and all back then and was in better shape. Not wanting to re-invent the wheel, knowing some of y'all are farm hunters, I imagine someone out there knows what I'm talking about and can give me some pointers. I would think a little low cart could also be a layout blind, sort of a layout boat on wheels? Any ideas?

Ed.

The ompany that makes the Stealth 1200 boat(Otter maybe) Made a plastic pond box with wheels built in on one end. not sure how the handle in the firont is or where it's located. Just a idea never used one or seen anyone in person use one.

Gene R.

Here is what he is referring to:

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-OTT82S

Wheels are on the back end, plus it's waterproof if you have to sit in some standing water....

I have a homemade version this, http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Outdoors-Kayak-Canoe-Carrier/dp/B000ASDGXK

that I use to hunt a couple different "haul-in" spots. Works well for me, I used bicycle wheels on mine. The nice thing is you can place the axle anywhere under the kayak/canoe or even a box of sorts to get the perfect load balance. I would put all my gear in the kayak, use a couple tie-downs or bungee cords to secure the kayak carrier to the kayak and just go. I've also put a 6' handle on mine.

Could also probably do the same thing with a "deer carrier". JM2C's

i just finished making a lightweight aluminum cart for carrying my decoys/gear when field hunting. if you can tell me how to post a picture, i will.

Garden cart A garden cart with bicycle wheels can haul a lot. http://gardencartblog.blogspot.com/

One of these can be easily made.

Cuncur with bicycle wheels. BMX wheels if your going over dirt (I'd assume you are.) I have two carts, one for beach fishing and one for the pier. Their have been alot of carts marketed for sporting clays, maybe look to them for inspiration? I prefer the "stand up" cart with a frame simillar to a refrigerator dolley, to each his own.

Ron

Ed,

I use a game cart to haul my cork dekes, gun, shell box, etc. Works great......works better with my son pulling it! dc

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
Get an ATV why bother wrestling all that gear Ala Cart.

Why bother??? Well I'll give you one good reason. I use a cart because the area I hunt does not allow ATV's.
[/font]

dave, same reality here in illinois. "no motorized vehicles allowed" is the most common sign i see when hunting on public grounds.

Ed, I think the game cart would be the cats meow, but once when I was in Oaklahoma we used a layout blind made out of a large home garbage container suplied by a local munisapality(TOWN). It was cut in two from top to bottom with the wheels on the back, the front was fliped up 180 the two top peices meshed in togeather and were silaconed and through bolted with fender washers this made an 7 and 1/2 ft layout coffen type blind. Cool rig painted camo to cover up the blue plastic.

I have been wanting the same thing to use in ND. I was looking at this cart, but wanted to have an attachment made to accomodate one of the plastic decoy sleds. So I can wheel a small skiff or the decoy sled across the prairie and then float them in the water. the have 12" or 16" tire models but I was leaning to putting on BMX or mountain bike tires. I think the mountain bike tire would be too tall, so I was taking with a freind about using this as a model and having one built to use the bigger wheels.

http://www.castlecraft.com/canoe_dolly.htm

two wheeled wheelbarrow!
If you can find a spot nearer your hunt, just leave your dekes under a tarp.

In Rodgers sporting goods flyer for Augaust saleon page four, has a FA brand layout blind with wheels item #fa-433215 $219.99.Might be what your looking for.

Gene R.

Back