Duck season summary

May I copy and print your close-up photo of the hen mallard rump? Best one I have seen on feather layout, shape, and coloration!

Will M said:
Congrats on the awesome season jode. This year has definitely been a treat here in jersey after a few really tough seasons. This has definitely been my best season as far as number of ducks and definitely in quality of ducks. The challenges of the ice only added to the enjoyment honestly, like you I had to look back in my notes for ideas on open water as well as put my boots on the ground and look for new spots I had never hunted before. Overall an amazing season from the early season teal along the Delaware bay to multiple days of killing cans and broadbill in far below freezing temps it was an experience and an adventure and I'm very happy so many others got to enjoy similar results! Also I'm very happy the younger generation you introduced got to experience a season like this, it will keep them coming back and we need more quality hunters!

Will yes, most gunners I have talked to are very pleased with this season. Our framework gave us an extra week at the end. While originally critical of the idea, I must admit I am now pleased it was set this way.

Steve O said:
Same held true here in Rhode Island. I think this is my 18th season hunting ducks, and it clearly has been my best so far. The conditions seem like they have been the same as you describe them in New Jersey (which really isn't all that far away).
glad to hear it Steve! My family just finished a Mallard dinner. Both kids came back for seconds

Capt. Larry M said:
been a good season Jode, glad to see you had some time to enjoy yourself. wished we could have hooked up for a hunt at some point but you know how it goes there is never enough time. See you soon!

Thanks Larry, it's been to long. At least we stay in touch! Lol! Next year for sure

Great pics, thanks for sharing. Those are some of the most beautiful decoys I've ever seen! Did you carve and paint them? Are they cork, wood, or?

Cody Zartman said:
Great pics, thanks for sharing. Those are some of the most beautiful decoys I've ever seen! Did you carve and paint them? Are they cork, wood, or?

Cody, yes I made the decoys. Most of them are Hollowed Cedar , oil
Painted. The the black ducks in the bag are burnt cork with wood heads.
Thanks for the kind words.

Last edited:
jode hillman said:
Will M said:
Will yes, most gunners I have talked to are very pleased with this season. Our framework gave us an extra week at the end. While originally critical of the idea, I must admit I am now pleased it was set this way.

I am glad you were happy with the season dates Jode, I do remember you saying that you werent fond of the later dates and like I said to you then 'I would rather get frozen out and least I know I we would have good gunning up to the freeze out as opposed to not having any good gunning at all.'

[size 4]Good to see you had a good 'un , Jode. Took a few early before the weather here pretty much cancelled prime duck season. Goose still going on - getting ready to leave for an afternoon hunt right now. At least the geese have been reliable, but another there's freeze predicted for tonight and on into the last week of goose season - one that will surely lock up where I'm headed today.

Could use that duck picker to help pluck & breast these geese! Mine have all moved on, and Sarah will cook but not clean.

Of course, the mallards are thick and landing in the goose decoys every day. Think they surely must carry copies of the season dates.[smile]

Best,
Bob

Capt. Larry M said:
jode hillman said:
Will M said:

I am glad you were happy with the season dates Jode, I do remember you saying that you werent fond of the later dates and like I said to you then 'I would rather get frozen out and least I know I we would have good gunning up to the freeze out as opposed to not having any good gunning at all.'

Yes, I'll admit when I'm wrong, and in this respect I'm happy I was.

MLBob Furia said:
[size 4]Good to see you had a good 'un , Jode. Took a few early before the weather here pretty much cancelled prime duck season. Goose still going on - getting ready to leave for an afternoon hunt right now. At least the geese have been reliable, but another there's freeze predicted for tonight and on into the last week of goose season - one that will surely lock up where I'm headed today.

Could use that duck picker to help pluck & breast these geese! Mine have all moved on, and Sarah will cook but not clean.

Of course, the mallards are thick and landing in the goose decoys every day. Think they surely must carry copies of the season dates.[smile]

Best,
Bob

It's Been a few years that for certain. Hope you can find a few Geese before you lock back up. We have a post season youth day this weekend, so hopefully the kids can find a few birds that have settled in over the past couple weeks.

Dibs on my duck picker lol. And yes, ducks carry a season appendix in their pockets for sure!!!

Jode I'm very jealous you're getting out for the youth day. I've been trying desperately to find someone to take. The kids I have taken the past few years are all too old now. I've had a lot of fun watching the birds work as the kids try to kill them. Coastal zone youth day has been a real treat the past couple of years, incredible the way the birds work after they have rested for a couple weeks. Good luck and post some pictures!

Beautiful work as always Jode! A real inspiration to those of us who hunt their own decoys! Glad you had a great season.

Will M said:
Jode I'm very jealous you're getting out for the youth day. I've been trying desperately to find someone to take. The kids I have taken the past few years are all too old now. I've had a lot of fun watching the birds work as the kids try to kill them. Coastal zone youth day has been a real treat the past couple of years, incredible the way the birds work after they have rested for a couple weeks. Good luck and post some pictures!
mm

Will, we had a fun hunt, but the kids didn't kill much. It was still a good time.

Back