duckboats.net is 10 (now 20). Can you believe it?

Many thanks to everyone who moderates and/or contributes to this site. The spirit of sharing of knowledge, experiences and lessons learned (about duck hunting, boats, sportsmanship and much more), while treating everyone with respect and support, makes this forum a standout compared to many others. Happy 20th Birthday!

I am one is the newer fellas here with only being here a little over half a year. A few of y’all I know from my 6 years being on workingdecoys.net and the year I was on the decoy carving forum before both of those fell to the modern era of Facebook. I have a Facebook account but never use it, can’t stand Facebook.

But the short time I’ve been here I can tell this place is A close family of people sharing the same passion for ducks. 20 years is a long time for me seeing that it’s only 3 years younger than me. This place seems to be the last of its breed where it is still in forum format mode with the use of real names. I’ve looked at the other forums and they just don’t compare to a place like this.

I thank you Eric, Steve, Chuck, and all the others that keep this place going. I look forward to seeing this place for another 20 years and the friendships it will create.

Wow, another 10 years has gone by! I don't post as much as I used to as times change. I do stop by most every night just to see what's happening. It was fun looking though the pages on this thread and seeing many folks I've had the pleasure of hunting with over the years. Also thinking of the those that have graced these pages that are no longer here for one reason or another. Congrats to Eric and all those that have supported or have been a part of keeping the site civil and of course ad free. Which reminds me I think I need to pony up a few bucks so it's here for the next 10 years.

Eric,

Thanks for being such a gracious host, both on the internet and in person. I've enjoyed making memories with so many folks that I would not have made contact with, had it not been for this site.

I remember being invited to and traveling to your home. Meeting you and your family, sitting on Andrew's bed and listening to him expound on the Presidents of the US. I remember the little red headed lad who looked just like his dad, and now that young boy has graduated.

Thanks for creating this wonderful site and the positive influences it has generated in so many lives.

Good morning, Eric~

Congratulations on two decades of a truly significant contribution to this grand passion we all share!

As with many others here, it is the only waterfowl site I visit. So, it has been very interesting to learn of the history of this wonderful site.

I can remember visiting it a few times when I was still working. My only web access until I retired (from NYSDEC) in 2010 was at work. Our home system then - here in the dairy country about an hour northeast of Albany - was a very slow and balky dial-up - literally not worth the effort. I do recall exploring your catalog of commercial duckboats and plans and once eavesdropped on a thread to hear members arguing about how best to build a Steve Sanford Coffin Box....

After a few years of "retirement" (I seem to be like many of my peers - working all day every day and busier than ever) - and after setting up my own website, I listened to my friend Gary Tanner who told me I had to join duckboats.net.

When I did join (in early 2013), I was overwhelmed by the welcome - and have savored every visit since. In addition to all of the knowledge and talent and wisdom here, I especially appreciate the good manners. When I left the conventional work force, I adopted a few guidelines. One was - after 35 years in public service - to avoid bureaucracy in all of its forms. So, no committees for me. I contribute to my community by teaching and with artwork - but do not sit in meetings. Another "rule" was to spend my time only with those people who share my definition of personal integrity. It's very easy to find such souls here in Washington County - but your site has allowed me to find such kindred spirits across the nation (and beyond). The civility and respectfulness you model/encourage/demand is the mortar for everything you have built. Genius.

Although I visit here more than once each day, my contributions have slacked this Spring. My efforts have been focused mostly on NDR stuff - the usual spring chores on an old farm and renovating a couple of the old structures. But, I am back full-bore to duckboats and decoys and carving for the next few months. So, expect some meatier "DR" posts from Eastern New York State soon.

Thanks again to you and Chuck and Steve Sutton and to all of the members.

All the best,

SJS

Thank you again for providing such a wonderful place for enthusiasts to gather. I have made amazing relationships here over the years. In addition, others with much more knowledge than myself have taught me incredible things about boats, hunting, decoys, dogs, sportsmanship, etc. I never miss a day of coming to this site to see what I can learn. Keep up the diligent efforts and Happy Birthday/Anniversary.

I am very thankful to have found this site and appreciative of you for keeping this up and going when so many other sites have gone away. The talent, knowledge, and photos that have been shared here over the years is truly unbelievable!

Wow, 20 years. Seems like it can't be true until I think back about all I have learned, and all the wonderful people I've met through this site. But twenty years? That would make me... Never mind, I'm still younger than Sutton!

Happy Birthday to DUCKBOATS.NET. And a big thank you to all the members that make the site the best out there. I have learned a lot of new approachs and hopefully have shared a few from the various members of this site. Heres to another 20!

Twenty years, hard to believe. I lurked for a while before joining, I have been around for probably close to 15 years. People have come and gone, the culture of the site has matured. It is still one of the corners of the WWW I visit regularly.

Tom

WOW!

Just goes to show what a great community and dedicated members this site is and has.

Thanks for everything and for the truly dedicated few who maintain the site thank you.

Wow...I remember back in 1999, dad's friend had sold the private land we'd hunted my entire childhood the previous season...It was a pretty cushy place: walk-in, dry pit blinds, decoys already out, right next to a national wildlife refuge. My duck hunting days were teetering on the brink, I might even have picked up and bow and arrow a few times to chase deer (the horror!). After a walk-in hunt at a public managed marsh, I realized we needed to try one of those boat things before throwing in the towel.

Being a poor grad student, I went in search of a solution and discovered this tiny website showing step by step instructions for building a boat! Not only that, but the people actually knew one another by name and answered questions and helped one-another.....I realized I lived 30 miles from Rob Leonard who sold the plans for the Kara boats ...I called him that day, and he said he could mail me the plans. I was already running to the truck to drive to his house and pick them up. At that point, he might have regretted Mark posting his information on here :)

That first little boat I built has had a pretty big impact on my life both directly and indirectly.

Thank you, Eric and EVERYONE here that makes this place what it is.

Thank you Eric and the other Duckboats.net family members that help to hold it together. It is usually my first stop when hitting the web. And thanks to all of you, I am finally headed to Tuckerton this September to shop for a new boat and enjoy the show. Don't tell my wife. Hah!

Eric,

Congratulations! Like so many others, my life was changed. I remember the AOL log in sounds as I sat in the spare bedroom in my little shack anticipating the connection so I could log on in 98ish and lurk like a champ. I was soaking in the information that so many members were glad to share. I met my best friend because of Duckboats.net. John Bourbon and I built a pirogue first, then a KARA in my basement (we had to take the stairs apart to get it out). Later, I helped him build the very first Snowgoose form the Devlin plans. If anyone has a set of plans with handwritten notes from Sam, that was because we called him when we couldn't figure out the measurements. Without this site I would never have carved my own decoys or built boats and I am so thankful. I even recently started carving cedar! Its not much by comparison with what I see here, but it will be functional. Here is to 20 more!View attachment IMG_9159.JPG

Back