electronic collors

Dave M

I am in the market for a new electronic collar for my retreiver , i had an old Tritronics collor that has finally died after my litle friend ( retreiver) jumped into a pond to retreive a dummy the other day , i have been looking for a collar that is waterproof and am considering a Sport Dog collar SD 400 , It is waterproof , to 25 feet down it has a 1/4 mile range which will work fine for a our phesant hunting trips as well , any one have experience with this collar ? Thanks for any input

Dave M

stay away from sportdog stuff. i had one that lasted 5 months. their customer service was good but their product, not so much. i would stick with tritronics or dogtra. go to collarclinic.com and see what refurbished collars they have for sale.
James

James is right! Collarclinic is the place to look. I use Tritronics with success. A friend used Sportdog and did not like it. I can't remember why but he now only uses Dogtra. Food for thought..............Kevin

yeah tritronics is the way to go. I have the G3 sport. Good price. Good features. hasn't failed at all

Guys thanks for the headsup but is the tritronics model you menthioned water waterproof at all ? I would like to use it for both waterfowling as well as small game . The Tritronics i had was given to me and it worked great but it could not standup to the water at all i have to lok and see what model it was b ut it was old i know that , the last thing i want is to have problems with a collar in the field .

Dave M

I have abused a Dogtra collar for the past six years and it performs like it is brand new.

I would highly recommend a Dogtra collar

yes the G3 and most of the G2 have waterproof receivers and transmitters. on the website it will tell you which models are waterproof.

I use The Tri Tronic waterfowler G2 and it is definatley waterproof as advertised. Battery lasts forever without having to recharge too. Go to their web site and check it out - I can't imagine you would be dissapointed with it.

Dave,
I have the sport dog 2000, and haven't had any problems. However, most tritronic products was recommended to me and If the sportdog fails, I'd go get the tritronics.

-Jack

Another vote for Dogtra. I've been using them trouble free for about 9 years.
I'm on my second only because I lost the first last year. I never even needed
to replace the batteries!! Lots of friends use TriTronics and like them.
John

My dogtra outlasted my brittany and my english pointer and still going strong.
Pro guides I used to hunt with all used the tritronics though. I think care of the collar is important too! Good luck with whatever you choose!!

yeah you can blow some serious coin on these things. It all depends if you are running multiple dogs, how many types of stimulation, etc. I think on some of the higher priced tri tronics, they have settings like you can momentarily 'nick' the dog for a 1/100 of a sec, 1/10 of a sec, and 1sec. It all depends what youre looking for. Obviously you're not new to these things, but i think for training purposes some people like to have that sort of flexibility in a collar. Like i said though, the G3 is pretty basic and is waterproof, and the price was good.

rob

Dogtra or TT (It is like Ford vs Chevy) both have great products. I have owned both and currently use Dogtra collars and remote releases.

For the best prices on collars as well as accessories such as replacement batteries, try this place. I have used them for a replacement battery and an extra Dogtra RR receiver. K-9 Electronics.com

Nick

Last edited:
Another vote for Sport Dog. I have had the SportDog 800 for 2 years now and have not had any problems with it. I use it in salt water several times a week and could not be happier with this unit. I picked it up on Ebay for less than $100. Best $100 investment I have made yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm loyal to tri-tronics. I think most, if not all, TT collars are waterproof . . . was yours old or somehow damaged? Just double check when you order and make sure the one you want is waterproof.

Obviously sport dog collars work or they would be out of business, but they definitely have a bad reputation in retriever training circles. Never had one, but from what I hear the customer service is much better than the product.

NR

Stay away from SportDog. I have had 3. Often they wouldn't work past 20 yards (yes they were synched properly).
Get a G3. Battery life is phenomenal and I have not had any problems.

Another vote for Tri Tronics. Have an Upland special w/ beeper and correction. Haven't started Booker on it but Walker was a real fan of his "good dog collar", he knew we were going to have some fun when it came out. I had a small issue with it recharging , just enough to learn what an outstanding customer service department TT has. Good luck.

Dave,
as stated, its like Ford and Chevy,
I like the pager that Dogtra offers and it is all that I have needed for the last dog I had. I would rather buzz a dog that just needs to check in than use a Zap if it is not necessary. But I would not buy a 1\4 or even a 1\2 mile unit again. There will come a day when a longer range will be useful and you only have to pay once to get it now. But to buy it later you have to pay twice.

Back