First Mallard (with pics)

I've painted my first Mallard decoy. I have to admit that I struggled quite a bit with it and am not sure if I've got it right. The head doesn't appear as iridescent as it maybe should and I'm not sure about the tail feathers. I tried to make it appear that they cross, but not sure that came off right. Note that I have glass eyes for it, but haven't attached in case I need to repaint. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Signed: New to decoys...but learning a lot!

View attachment Mallard001.JPG View attachment Mallard002.JPG View attachment Mallard003.JPG

Overall its awesome. I really like his head. The two things that jumped out at me are the primaries, and the white ring around the neck, it doesn't go all the way around.

On that note it is much nicer than the 3 drake mallards I have painted so take my critique for what you paid :)

That is a beautiful drake and hard to imagine that it is your first. Congrats. I'll look forward to seeing your 100th!
Al

Nice Job Kathleen,
Wish mine looked that good. As to the glass eyes, you should install them before you paint.
By the time they're set and epoxied in place you'll need to repaint the head. I don't use glass eyes
but have seen a lot done on here and other sites. You just scrape the paint off the eyes when
you're done painting.
Is this a good hoby or what!! John

John,

Thanks for the suggestion. I obviously didn't epoxy them in to protect them from the paint, but if the paint comes off that easy, I'll attach them in the beginning.

At my brother's suggestion, I am trying to paint and sell decoys to earn extra money. For years, I've painted pictures as a hobby. My brother is a duck hunter and wanted me to paint decoys for him, plus he suggested that since the bank eliminated my job I should try to sell some.

Great lookn block! I'd be proud to have it in my rig anytime. Did you carve it & what's it made of? Keep up the great work.
Dennis

Back