Florida Freeze 2010 Pt II

We all drove away from the landings feeling like we did some good today!!!

Rightfully so! Stories like this separate the duck hunters from the duck shooters.

Great job guys!

Chuck

Jeff-

I'm sure you've got some good karma going now....one would really hope. It's sad to see all the critters affected by this WAAAAAAY too long (In my oh so humble opinion too long) cold spell, but it's really nice that there are folk out there who won't just leave them to bob up and down. And I sure am going to miss catching my jacksonville snook.

Strange question for you though. If you're out there again and you rescue some more turtles, or see a dead one even, could you get me a picture of their underside? I really need a good picture that shows what the shell looks like on the bottom.....thanks in advance if you do, if you don't no biggie...

Dani

Jeff knows Mr. Sargeant very well and I'm sure they'll talk. BTW, this guy retired, and came back out of retirement. I always liked the guy. He writes well and knows the subject matter.

Hitch

I'd like a shot of both actually, but since Jeff has posted mainly loggerheads I figured he might see some more and get one of those shots. I have various shots from above for both species, but I'm finding the plastron shots aren't as readily available

Dani

seems to be split abouut equal as to the choice......

Steve

Not so!!!

These (2) two individuals are just our local disgruntles who don't care about anoyone or anything except what directly effects their own little worlds.

Posts like this are expected of these (2) two.

Basically, selfish A-holes!!!

cut and paste making it a "snap shot"....glad to hear that it was only a "couple of people" being ignorant....

I "especially" found the BS about the "Turtles that are there are stupid and need to die so they don't breed and pass their too dumb to go where its safe, tendancies to future generations".......clearly the guy know NOTHING about Turtles in the Mosquito Lagoon and the IRL and BRL eco-systems.......they make up THE LARGEST NURSERY for Green Turtles in the the United States.....Turtles migrate to those locations and stay there until they mature, which can be as long as 30 years, (based on size none of the ones you rescued were "mature" so they were RIGHT WHERE their instincts told them they needed to be).....

Almost as bad was the guy, or maybe it was the same idiot, that said that he didn't attempt to rescue a Turtle that he found tangled in a crabpot line...."let nature takes its course".....HEY DUMBASS what part of NATURE is a man made rope that a turtle has no knowledge of escaping from?.....

Anyway....you did a great service for not only the Turtles but all of us who value nature as something more than a duck larder.....

And thanks for the correction....

Steve

Last edited:
It might be his kind that needs to "die off" and not breed their stupid ways into the gene pool. Folks like that are an embarrassment to the hunting community.

Glad you guys were there for them....

Last edited:
you best have "permission" just to touch them.....Jeff said in his write up that they called the authorites to report the problems and was authorizzed to bring them to the ramp where the people that run the "rescue operation" were waiting to pick them up....those same people also put a boat in the water to search for, and rescue, other turtles...

As a FEDERALLY PROTECTED species its illegal to possess ANY part of a Sea Turtle...shells, meat, bones....the Feds frown on people that ignore those rules......

Steve

I was just wondering, I know of two people who got permission from wardens to keep sea turtles that expired.One guy got to keep the shell, and another guy got to eat one that he found in a fishing net-the warden killed the turtle and let them eat it instead of letting it waste.

permission to keep bones and shells but thats always associated with education in some way......I'v enever heard of the meat being allowed to be eaten.....not saying it hasn't been done just that I've never heard of it...and I'd be inclined to not believe it unless I had the WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM A FEDERAL LEO.....my understanding is that State LEO's can't issue permission of that sort but I could be wrong on that.....

Overall I'd say that "anything can happen..and stranger things can" but I'd bet than any "gifting" that wasn't given to educational people would be "in error"....

Steve

Memphis J,
If there protected under the endangered specis act do not touch them. It does not matter how you found them.Dead or Alive. Bottom line you can not posses them.

Phil

Good article...I wonder if the displaced turtles will try to find their way back

Last edited:
Back