Fly rod question

Chuck J

I have an old fly rod, made by Aberchrombe and Fitch (same name as the store at the mall where saggy pants kids go to buy overpriced clothes that don't fit right). My understanding is they were an 'outfitter' type business, went under, and the current clothes store bought the rights to the name. Anyway, I came by this rod almost 25 years ago, my neighbor was cleaning out his family cabin (his father had long passed) and brought me literally an arm full of antique rods and reels and then came back with a huge tackle box in each hand. I have always wanted to make a shadowbox of some of my favorite lures and have at various times had one or two of the rod/reels on display (my favorite is a casting rod made of a strange square metal aloy).

Well, to make a short story long, is this fly rod worth a lot? I have used it in the past, and enjoyed using it, but not sure what it would be worth to a collector (if anything). If I could sell it and buy a newer (replaceable) rod I would, but if it isn't worth more than it's value as a fishing tool than I'll continue to use it as it was made. I haven't whipped knots into a fly leader in probably 10 years, but have an offer to get out for trout this summer.

Any insight on the history or value of this rod (or any other jogularity) is appreciated.

Best
Chuck

Last edited:
I am sure that it is worth something. Do you have an antique shop around? I have been lucky becuase I have a guy that owns a shop and he deals with stuff like that.

Chuck,
They made shotguns too my old man has a nice 20 o/u... As for the rod... I would get some money for it since it doesn't have sentimental value and buy a rod made of modern materials and that comes with a nice warranty. Almost all the big companies have warranties now days and i for one have had almost a dozen rods replaced or repaired no questions asked when I have personally or had clients break my equipment.

I for one would be interested in it ... Pm me I'd love to see a picture.

Thanks
Zach Benson

Last edited:
Chuck
Aberchrombe & Fitch is an old old sporting goods company that outfitted the wealthy. Any equipment carrying their name would be worth big bucks today. I'm sure that fly rod is a split bambo rod and is worth good bucks. I have one of those casting rods, as you say "made of a strange square aloy" I purchased new in the 40's. Sounds like you have a small gold mine with all those gifts.
wis boz

Last edited:
I'll get some pictures of the fly rod as well as the odd casting reel tonight.

Jim, the comment "old old sporting goods company that outfitted the weatlthy" kind of fits my neighbors. Don't get me wrong, great people, and as a kid I did a lot of work for them and was paid well for my efforts. As much as I don't mind using old things for their intended purpose, I hate to ruin the rod with my own klutziness.

Chuck

Have you ever seen "Man's Favorite Sport" with Rock Hudson? That was Abercrombie & Fitch in the 60s. Sad now isn't it.

It's likely worth more then all the cheap rods that came over from Japan after WWII and not as much as some other makers. That narrows it down doesn't it. :)
Is it a two or three piece? How long is it? Does it have an extra tip? Is there a model number or something labeling the taper?

If you like using it and don't mind taking care of it I say use it. Some guys do strictly collect them but there are some who collect them to use them. As long as the seams are not coming apart and the finish is keeping too much water from soaking in it should be usable.
I'm sure you could get a pretty good modern rod for the price of that rod... but if you like casting that bamboo rod I'd go to glass and not a high modulus graphite.

Tim

Last edited:
Think "Orvis". Basically the same deal. I have a little buying "problem" w/ italian and spanish double guns and anytime I'm shopping them I run across older A and F guns. Normally, if I remember right, they were made by AyA, Rizzini, and Fausti. All very good makers. The prices always seem to be in line w/ the rest when comparing apples-apples. The "A and F" doesn't seem to give them any more or less value.
But I would think judging by their approach to guns that it would've been at the top of the heap of fly rods when it was made.

Chuck:

If WizBoz is right and it's a cane rod, it's value might range from a couple hundred dollars to several thousand or more. Like decoys, old cane rods are collectible, and worth whatever someone who really wants it will pay. The ones that were mass produced can be pretty good, but may not have a ton of value. In many cases rods at companies like Abercrombie and Fitch or LL Bean were made by other rod makers, and knowing the year and maker of your rod might make a lot of difference in its value.

If you want to get it appraised, I'd take it to someone who specializes in fishing tackle, and in particular in cane rods. It's a pretty specialized market, and many antique dealers won't know it.

The reels may also have some value. Old fly lines--if they are silk lines in good condition--can also be worth something, and, treated right, are still quite usable. Old plastic fly lines are worthless.

A friend of mine who builds cane rods is a school teacher who spends summers in Michigan with family, and if he doesn't know the rod well enough to ID it and guess its value, he will know someone local who does. Send me a PM and I'll pass along an introduction if you'd like.

Chuck,

I can't say much about the fly rod. I do remember going to A and F in downtown Chicago as a child. It was my idea of a candy store! I can't remember if we ever purchased anything or not.

Tom

Chuck

Just a suggestion. Take a photo, send it to Hunting & Fishing Collectibles Magazine "WHATS IT WORTH" by Rick Edmisten.
They are pretty spot on with their advice and worth article. If your not in a big hurry it may help.

At one time many department stores carried bamboo rods. Unless your is pristine, it is probably worth $100 or less. Every one thinks bamboo is worth a fortune and some are, but this is like old hunting decoys, most aren't worth much, but a few are.

Check the ferrels closely, many have fine cracks, which brings the value down considerably.

A pristine rod of your type might be worth around $300, but if used, have fun fishing it.

I have dozens of old bamboo rods I still fish with names like Heddon, Granger, Herters, Southbend, and Orvis. I didn't pay over $100 for any of them. A rich man once told me that it was a "blue collar" collection of rods, but the fish don't seem to mind!

Here are soem pictures of the flyrod:

There were 3 rod tubes in the "armfull" of rods my neighbor brought over:

141b1604.jpg

fca33bf7.jpg

ee0410e2.jpg

21decc52.jpg

a89f0972.jpg

005a94aa.jpg

191c5f32.jpg

50b41457.jpg

e78bfeb8.jpg

e22d1865.jpg

0ab3bded.jpg

Not the best pictures, it was running out of daylight. It is in pretty good shape, but I definately wouldn't say pristine. It was bought to be used and I got it and did the same for probably 10 years but it has been in my dad's grainery for about 10 years. Got it out when I was visiting at Christmas.

Chuck

And the metal casting rod for anyone curious:

675f78f6.jpg

2e687190.jpg

b86b8e13.jpg

b2ebef28.jpg

0750c115.jpg

155a279c.jpg

Though I have heard how much old tackle CAN sell for, finding someone willing to pay top dollar is always the trick. Regardless of true market value, I found the pile of old fishing stuff to be a treasure when given to me and still think it is. I always wanted to make a shadow box of lures out of that tackle box but have yet to find time to do it and a place to hang it.

Thanks for the continued insight guys!

Chuck

Last edited:
Chuck
Your pictures shows it isn't a split bamboo rod and those are the ones (in good shape) that can bring big bucks. There's no market for a just plain bamboo rod. That casting rod and reel are nothing like I have and I have no idea what they are and that fly rod looks to be just a composite of something certaintly not split bamboo. I'm sure someone here can identify both for you.
wis boz

That is a glass rod. Looks a lot like the old Eagle Claw Wright and McGill glass, the name Featherwate/Featherweight and the numbering makes me almost sure that is who made it. Probably one of the lower end rods they sold.

Since it is an A&F branded one it might be worth more then the W&M rods but they are priced to be used and aren't really serious collector items.

I like glass and think it is cool and are a blast to fish. I'd trade you a dove decoy for it. :)

If you want to learn more you could check this forum http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/ they know everything about old glass rods.

Use it if you want, I don't think you will be ruining anything that is ultra rare.

Tim

Last edited:
BTW the casting reel may be worth the most. I'm not really up on that type of reels but that name is collectible. It would be worth looking into that.

Tim

Looks like a nice fishable glass rod. 7'6" 5 weight is a great trout rod.

That casting reel looks interesting--definitely show that to someone who knows tackle.

Looks like Tim and I were posting at the same time.

Some background on the maker of the reel.

http://luresnreels.com/jvhofe.html

Guys

Thanks for the no BS assesment. I'll likely just keep using it and enjoy it...and feel relieved that I wasn't whipping around a $1000 rod for years not realizing I was ruining it's collectors value. Someday, i"ll have to do an inventory of all the old fishing stuff I got...but then I don't have time to actually go fishing, much less count lures. In the meantime it is storred in a realtively safe place.

Best
Chuck

Back