Flyway Highway

Bill,
I think you missed what most eveyone else algready agreed upon, that the "average" Joe duck hunter DOESN'T want the stuff you mention. They just wanna see kills....and a lot of them. I don't think most who visit this forum are what you would call "average" duck hunters, so unfortunately we don't really speak for the masses.

I'd love to see more coverage of decoy carvers and duckboat builders, both historic and present-day, as well as a lot of other in-depth waterfowling coverage, but most "average" viewers do not, thus we don't get that, only shows of the whackem and stackem variety.

And as others have mentioned, although I agree that the Flyway Highway is sophmoric and sometimes sophmoronic, at least it's about waterfowling. I'd rather watch a couple dufus' hunting over a half-dozen carry lites on a sewage pond than another deer-hunting show.

if you guys really want something to put the blame on for shows like flyway highway and others put the blame on the semi auto shotgun. without semi's i dont think there would be shows like this. is there anything you can do about semi's?....no but if you look at it closely thats where this whole thing started, trying to kill more ducks-faster.

save the bs there is a little whack'em and stack'em in each of us. id like to hold myself up higher as a carver that hunts over his own birds and shoots ducks with and old sxs but when theres me and four-five other guys in a 24'x18'x16' tall cedar covered lake blind and 8 mallards come in and none leave, i think thats just awesome.

do they act like arses? yep. could they talk more about conservation and duck huntings back ground and benchmark forefathers? yep.

as sutton said this site is where the market for a classic duck hunting show exists and theres not enough folks here to support a show like that, maybe a video series but not a show with sponsors and promoters.

hell half of us here carve decoys, reload shells and build boats. who would the sponsors of flyway highway sell to if this was there target audience.

eddie

and im sorry to say todd most of our lakes up here at least in vermont anyways have camps and lake mansions all over them. i have to say ive hunted from the bases of bridges before cause thats the longest stretch of "undeveloped" land thats not privately owned in that area. now tying off to a dock maybe thats a stretch im sure they could have found a less "controversial" place to hunt from instead of right next to a highway, but it is the name of the show :)

personally i'll even crawl on my belly for a duck

eddie

Last edited:
I think that guys like us, (you know, with ethics, heritage and general apreciation for the sport's nostalgia) are resigned to reading books about what we do. TV shows just aren't for us. There comes a time when you just have to say "let them do as they may". What is important to me is that I hunt with those that share the same values as me and that my children do the same. I, now more than ever, apreciate the time spent in the field more than the actual number of birds taken. This frame of mind usually takes time to develop, but never the less must be instilled in us by others that we hunt with and learn from. Let's forget about these Flyway Hyway guys already and let those who choose to watch them do so. I am proud to know most of you on this site, even if it's only words that we share, because we are the ones that matter in my eyes. Keep up the carving, boat building and gunning and may God bless us, the real duck hunters! Kevin

Back