Form and Ecology of the Barnegat Bay Sneakbox

Form and Ecology of the Barnegat Bay Sneakbox

Eric Patterson

Staff member
Eric Patterson submitted a new resource:

Form and Ecology of the Barnegat Bay Sneakbox - Article about the Barnegat Bay Sneakbox and culture of the New Jersey Pinelands

This resource is not a set of plans. It is however very interesting information about the Barnegat Bay Sneakbox and the men who built them. Click the orange "Download" button to download and read the article. The "More Information" button takes you to the book, Sense of Place: American Regional Cultures, from which this article was extracted.

Read more about this resource...

@jode hillman this article made me think of you and the other NJ guys on the forum. I'll tell you, these old guys took the craft seriously. So seriously they destroyed their molds to keep others, even family members, from getting their sneakbox design. I sure want to make it to the Tuckerton show this year. 😖

@jode hillman this article made me think of you and the other NJ guys on the forum. I'll tell you, these old guys took the craft seriously. So seriously they destroyed their molds to keep others, even family members, from getting their sneakbox design. I sure want to make it to the Tuckerton show this year. 😖
That was a great read! Yes many burnt their forms to keep others from getting them. It was a matter of pride. We still have lots of cedar and some darn fine boats and bay men still around. It's a unique place I'm to be apart of.

That was a great read! Yes many burnt their forms to keep others from getting them. It was a matter of pride. We still have lots of cedar and some darn fine boats and bay men still around. It's a unique place I'm to be apart of.
Grew up at edge of Pine Barrens. Canoed the Wading River from Atsion to Batsto many times growing up. Chatsworth for cranberry festival and Hammonton for blueberry festival. It is a unique place.

Rick

Back