FROZEN HANDS

Not a big fan of the neoprene gloves. When they get wet, they are hard to have competely dry by the next days hunt. They sweat your hands which makes them cold .....fast. They are hard to pull on when your hands are wet. I like the commercial fishing rubber gloves that many have mentioned and usually have a pair of handwarmers in my pocket to keep my hands warm. Another product a buddy let me use this year was from this website. www.justclickithot.com
They are kind of a gel pack with a little silver button flaoting inside. Just push the button and the gel gets cloudy and almost instatntly brings the temp up to 130 degrees. They last about 45 minutes and can be reused by boiling them. I have used them but never bought or boiled them to see how all that works. Just a thought.

dc

i have used the gell pack you are talking about they become a bother with the boiling (wrap them in a wash cloth when you boil it) and only getting 45 minutes of use i prefer the throw away they last longer. and i agree the neoprene do make my hands sweat and olan to buy the fishing gloves.

i 100 pct agree with Andy Johnson....

"A little hint...about a half hour before pick up, I will slip the PVC gloves down inside my chest waders to warm them up."

This has made the biggest difference for me. Sticking my hands into cold gloves to pick up decoys used to just suck what lil warmth was left in them out.

I have several different gloves for running the boat and picking up decoys, but I never wear gloves when actually hunting. A few years ago my wife made me a fleece handwarmer pouch that clips to the D-rings on my wader straps, I keep my hands in there while hunting and then I can shoot or call without having to worry about gloves. It has a small pocket on the inside that you can put a chemical handwarmer in, works great. We hunt in single digit to below zero temps most of December and January and I've never had a problem with my hands getting cold. Just an alternative to think about.

I Bring many pairs of gloves for cold weather hunting. I have 2 pairs of these and 2 pairs of ski gloves that are big enough to pop off in a hurry and shoot. I usually have 1 set of mittens that have the flip top. I cannot shoot with gloves on. I too keep a bunch of heat packs in my jacket pocket, but I make sure that I have one dry set of ski glove to keep my hands WARM. The green tall gloves keep my hands dry to and from wherever and when picking up decoys. Everyone I hunt with knows that we are picking up in half an hour when I take out the decoy gloves and stick them down inside my waders:) I really like the Midwest gloves and they are usually under $20. They don't wear out from decoy line like the neoprene. Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Gloves-Gear-330-Thinsulate/dp/B0017QFDQW

I would order Atlas gloves, and the neoprene "sleeves" or cuffs to keep the water from dripping into your gloves while paddling

Had a similar experience when I was a teenager, ice fishing. Hands have never been the same since, once they get cold, they stay cold.
Luckily, I know live in an area where 27F is a cold low temp during duck season.
That said, I usually carry 4 or 5 pairs of gloves: 1 to get wet while on the run out & putting out decoys, 2 to get wet while hunting and one for the run back.
Cant have enough gloves in the boat.

Chris - From what I recently learned, every time we experience "Frozen Hands", it's low grade Frost Bite, and the more times it happens, the more we suffer. Especially as we get Older, aka Geezers. I can attest, that's it's true. Your getting very sound advice from men who know, with the replies to your question. Myself I carry at least 5 types of gloves when in my duckboat. Some zip locked to stay dry, and I also have two pair in my parka, with lots of shake em up Hand Warmers.

No one glove will do it all, and the more pairs you have to keep your hands from freezing, the better. Years ago my gunning partner and I bought very expensive neoprene Wind Surfing gloves , cuz we were told they were the only gloves we would need. WRONG! The only thing they are good for is washing vehicles in fall, and spring........

Thanks for the advice. I'll continue on with what I was doing and buy more gloves. If we all put are heads together and come up with 1 do all glove we could be millionaires. Update on my hands tips of my thumbs are still tingling/burning everything else seems back to normal.

The Atlas 495 and the Showa 495 is the same glove,the 490 has the built in liner and they are a devil to get dry. the Showa may be a little cheaper, I use the wool military glove liners instead of the yellow ones they come with, the wool is a little thinner and the combo is not as bulky yet still as warm. That combo and a chem handwarmer is as good as it gets. Just shake the outer glove off to shoot and don't forget to put them back on! Always bring extra liners, at least.

The old Nokia Eskimo gloves or mitts are still available, just called Eskimo , I think, now. Last time I saw them was in Work n Gear catalog., Nope, just checked, not in work n gear, but if you google "Eskimo" gloves, a few sites pop up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I carry alot of gloves in my gear bag. Neoprenes for the ride out, setting rig and picking up. I use fleece gloves for shooting, larger the better. Brown work gloves always in my pockets. Wet gloves don't work. Keep a few pair around extra...

I also take 3 pairs when the weather gets cold and put 2 in zip lock bags to keep them dry. I use a pair similar to the Atlas with the fleece lining for running the boat and setting out and picking up decoys, I have a pair of goretex insulated gloves for the middle time, and a pair of mitts for when your hands get really cold. Always have some mittens, once your hands are really cold, it's the only way to get them back. I hunt out of a sneak 90% of the time, and can set my gun across the cockpit and stick my hands inside my wader pockets while I am sitting there. I find running the tiller is when my hands get the coldest(my left hand, that is). Have had cold hands all of my life, some of us are just that way. But once my hands are cold, I warm them back up before I start hunting or doing anything else. Once they get to the point that they are going to hurt when you warm them up, you are already too cold to do anything safely. Plus its no fun.

Hand warmers. I don't shoot with gloves, and can't seem to do anything else with them on either. About the only thing I have used that works are the rubber MITTENS with a wool liner for warming my hands.
My usual set-up is: a pair of handwarmer in my jacket pockets, another in the mittens inside my blind bag. While waiting for birds, my hands stay in my pockets. After picking up birds or decoys, a quick dry of my hands and they go right back in my pockets.
For the really cold times, I will stuff the mittens on, prewarmed by the handwarmers. Luxury.

As an aside, the handwarmers always seem to work best resting on the backs of my hands. I am sure there is a reason.

Lined rubber Joka Polar gloves for running the boat and picking up decoys. An insulated muff to keep my hands warm while hunting. It straps around the waist and frees your hands for glove-free shooting. When the birds are working, pull your (warm) hands out of the muff and grab your gun. If its really cold, add a chemical handwarmer or two to the muff for luxury.

Matt

Had a similar experience when I was a teenager, ice fishing. Hands have never been the same since, once they get cold, they stay cold.
Luckily, I know live in an area where 27F is a cold low temp during duck season.
That said, I usually carry 4 or 5 pairs of gloves: 1 to get wet while on the run out & putting out decoys, 2 to get wet while hunting and one for the run back.
Cant have enough gloves in the boat.

I'm in the same boat. I believe that I injured my hands with the cold in my youth. I now live in gloves anytime it is below 30 degrees.

I keep a spare pair of lined leather work gloves and two pairs of Cabelas polartech glove liners tucked into my waders to keep them warm. Dry gloves are no good to me if they aren't already warm. I only handle decoys with Jokatherm fleece lined Mittens, and run the boat with another pair of lined leather work gloves. That brings my count to five as well!

You should try hand warmer muffs. I have a fleece one and I attach it to my wader straps.
Use your rubber gloves to pickup birds and decoys.

I usually wear a light pair of poly or wool gloves, or a pair of the open palm Avery calling mits. Mostly wear them to cover the flash of my hands when hunting, When it's time to pull decoys I wear the rubber gloves. I always have about five pairs in the boat.

Another thing I do is keep a copuple old bath towles in the boat to dry my hands off when they get wet, that helps a lot if the gloves are on and off during the day while your doing stuff in the boat

HEY long time......how's it going in Maine these days? you ever find some Woodcock for me to come up and shoot?
your name came up today on another site guy I know on a florida site posted a picture of the Canvasback rolled over on its side with the foot stuck out on a thread where I posted a picture of a GE from a similar pattern I gather it was from a raffle for Lee HArkers grandson? Was that this past year or earlier?
One of those small World things cause when I asked and he said "Geoff Pike" it made me smile
Hope all is well up in your neck of the woods

Best,

Steve

Back